upgrading DSLR

Sn0wMaN

Dec 19, 2008
I have been using my canon 550d kit 1 for abt 2 yrs.. so far it is my fav cam and also i have no problem with it. Recently 60d catch my eyes and plus so happen that a fren decided to purchase my 550d. I havent master the skill of entry level on 550d and havent get chance to buy lens to try on but i have borrow a few lens from frens before.

My qus is izzit worth to get 60d kit 2 or kit 1? I will wan to keep my cam for long just like how long i will keep my 550d.. i am not that kind of user that wanting to upgrade. So looking at this semi pro cam will bring me 1 step closer to the semi pro level.

I have a few frens who have upgrade from 450d to 40d and 50d back to a few yrs back and have been using their cam for a min of 4-5yrs which is like that i am intending to do.

So i have to get some review and comment on 60d before purchase.. I have alot of fren advice 600d but making a compare it is not much diff with 550d and plus my purpose is to keep for long term use..

Last edited:
get 60D body and buy 17 - 55 f2.8 IS.

just wondering as it will be my 1st time buying from shop instead of HV norman or court.. my qus is if i buy from shop like for eg.. cathay photo, tk photo or john316 they do cover warranty like canon right??

2nd.. i assume they product r genuine and new??

Last edited:
There's no FAKE canon dslrs...just a matter of whether is it parallel import (Grey no canon warranty) or is local set.

Yes, buy from those shops just ask for local set, check warranty card by Canon sg.

As for new, I doubt you can find 100% new. Maybe they have been tested before selling. As long as no flaws should be fine.

I have been using my canon 550d kit 1 for abt 2 yrs.. so far it is my fav cam and also i have no problem with it. Recently 60d catch my eyes and plus so happen that a fren decided to purchase my 550d. I havent master the skill of entry level on 550d and havent get chance to buy lens to try on but i have borrow a few lens from frens before.

My qus is izzit worth to get 60d kit 2 or kit 1? I will wan to keep my cam for long just like how long i will keep my 550d.. i am not that kind of user that wanting to upgrade. So looking at this semi pro cam will bring me 1 step closer to the semi pro level.

I have a few frens who have upgrade from 450d to 40d and 50d back to a few yrs back and have been using their cam for a min of 4-5yrs which is like that i am intending to do.

So i have to get some review and comment on 60d before purchase.. I have alot of fren advice 600d but making a compare it is not much diff with 550d and plus my purpose is to keep for long term use..

Semi-pro cams do not bring you to Semi-pro level. Pro cams do not bring you to Pro level.

Without improving your own skills, your pictures will stay the same, no matter what level of camera or lenses you buy.

I strongly recommend you stay with your 550D and learn on it. Understand what is holding your back from mastering the "skill of entry level".

Most ppl upgrade their DSLR because the newer or higher end model looks and feels better. Gear heads will tell you they are this better and that better. The point is, yes, the camera improved when u upgrade, have you?

Look at ur shooting pattern and ask urself, how much have you explored into your 550D? Are you still shooting auto or P mode? Have u explore into shooting Av or M mode? How ppl feels ur composition of ur pictures?

To give you another perspective, most working photographers I know upgrade for these few reasons:
1. Their current camera is wearing out after decades (or almost decade) of use. Some even head to the 2nd hand store to get the same camera made 10yrs ago because it's very cheap now and fulfill their needs.
2. Some sells and upgrade so they will not further devalue their current camera. Taking the recent pro grades camera mass updates, I have a friend wants to sell his less used D3s for a upcoming D4. He started using his backup camera instead for jobs so that the D3s will not depreciates that much from shutter count.
3. Some people upgrade only when extreme cheap lobang comes along, such as $4.5k D3s or $1.8k D700. While they sold their current setup at more than half the money to pay for their upgrades.

Upgrade when it limits you (and you must understand the limitation), not because of trend following, or wanting to splurge, or because it's a newer piece of technology. Upgrade urself first, then ur lens and lastly ur camera body.

Last edited:
well i upgrade not because of trend.. indeed my purpose is also not to devalue the cam as more of the same kind of 550 / 600 / 650 (in future) is coming out. I understand if u dont know ur basic than no pt talking abt semi pro level. I jus thought of doing that as currently a fren is interested to buy a DSLR and indirectly i am taking advantage of it.

2nd wanna to do so to upgrade to a heavy body cause some of my friend are using L-lens and it is so much bigger and heavy when it is mount onto my 550d. I have use 40d for 1mth and i quite like the feel so that y i wan to consider 60d.

well i upgrade not because of trend.. indeed my purpose is also not to devalue the cam as more of the same kind of 550 / 600 / 650 (in future) is coming out. I understand if u dont know ur basic than no pt talking abt semi pro level. I jus thought of doing that as currently a fren is interested to buy a DSLR and indirectly i am taking advantage of it.

2nd wanna to do so to upgrade to a heavy body cause some of my friend are using L-lens and it is so much bigger and heavy when it is mount onto my 550d. I have use 40d for 1mth and i quite like the feel so that y i wan to consider 60d.

So, you you want to upgrade (part of the reason being) because your friends own L Lens?

Also, I think batt grip does help solve some of the unbalance weight distribution issue

So, you you want to upgrade (part of the reason being) because your friends own L Lens?

Also, I think batt grip does help solve some of the unbalance weight distribution issue

I'm not saying that your perspective is incorrect, but here's my alternative view :)

If he has easy access to his freinds' L lenses, it could make sense.

Also, though battery grip does solve the weight distribution issue, sometimes the shape of the grip itself could cause discomfort. You can only make the grip longer by putting a battery grip, but the shape of the grip doesn't change. If your fingers are long, this causes some discomfort when holding the camera, and is made worse by having a front heavy setup, which could happen even with a battery grip.

I think TS has quite made up his mind, and I guess his train of thought is something like:
- since someone is willing to buy his 550D at a good price, he can use the money to upgrade
- not much point upgrading to 600D cos it's not much better
- not 40D or 50D cos it's older/no video/want to reuse stash of SD cards etc
- 7D or 5DM2 to expensive
- next up would be 60D

However every senior above have very valid points for keeping your 550D. It has many advanced features (and this applies to probably all entry level DSLRs from the major manufacturers) that covers most photographic needs.

You may want to convince your friend to get another 2nd hand camera from the B&S section. (And if your 550D got some problem he/she can blame you for selling ;)

But in the end if you decide to go ahead with 60D, go ahead and don't look back. No point regretting what has been done, though I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy :)

BTW, 60D is plastic body. Weight wise it's lighter than the 40D that u had used before. Do give it a try with the L lens of ur consideration. It might not be much better to counter balance.

U Wana upgrade ur body is bcos you get a gd offer from ur Fren for ur 550d...this is make a sense for me..but I does not agree is bcos of ur Fren got L lens then you attach on ur body it was heavy and bigger..even if you mount on another dslr also the same...

Btw if you are thinking to upgrade there is no point to ask another people suggestion if you like then you just go..even now if we all suggest you to stay in ur 550d and masterpiece your camera before you upgrade you also won't do that, so at the end also not meaning....

Before you upgrade check the spec 1st..before this I also got think to upgrade 60d but 1 thing I dislike is because 60d is not magnifition alloy body so after that I purchase a 50d and it was stay until now and it was serve me very well...so before you purchase it do a bit of homework and make sure no regret after u buy it.

Yup as mentioned above...

The 60D has kinda detracked from the X0D class. It's body will not be in the same class as the 40D you have been using..

However, performance wise it still shoots faster than the 550D. Do note that IQ remains the same.

If you are looking for a heavier body, then you may want to go down to the shops to have a feel of the 60D and 7D.

Obviously, the 7D will be even more expensive, but it's body is heavy and you do get faster shooting and more precise focusing..

If your fren wants to buy your 550D, I will sell now.. value is starting to drop...

i am upgrading because my fren willing to take over my 550d. I sold it off as a decent price not really a very good price. It is just close to 1/2 of what a 60d kit 1 price.

2nd i upgrade not because i have easy access to L-lens and etc.. just that sometime when i borrow lens to play around it is kind of weird feeling because of the weight.

Of cause my purpose is to have a better technology as more and more changes in the latest and up coming DSLR. I cant afford to have 2 dslr as i didnt have much time to spend time on both, 2nd my pocket dont allow up spend much to maintain it. I will be having my 60d for long term and doubt i will change again until i have fully understand my cam.

If my fren didnt intend to buy over my 550d i would have keep it and use it for now. So hopefully buying 60d is not a mistake.

btw.. some fren suggest kit 2 since i have used kit 1 on my 550d before. Some fren suggest just get body and purchase a 3rd party lens... now i am stuck with this issue.

actually...
u jus need to use whatever lense u r using now.
u sound like u dunno what lenses u need, so a good take would be to c which lenses r u usin now, and get back the same.
i assume ur existin kit has the kit lense, so get back the same set.
another lense wun help u much if u nvr use it...

another alternative is to get the 50 f/1.8.
it should b cheap and good

I think TS has quite made up his mind, and I guess his train of thought is something like:
- since someone is willing to buy his 550D at a good price, he can use the money to upgrade
- not much point upgrading to 600D cos it's not much better
- not 40D or 50D cos it's older/no video/want to reuse stash of SD cards etc
- 7D or 5DM2 to expensive
- next up would be 60D

However every senior above have very valid points for keeping your 550D. It has many advanced features (and this applies to probably all entry level DSLRs from the major manufacturers) that covers most photographic needs.

You may want to convince your friend to get another 2nd hand camera from the B&S section. (And if your 550D got some problem he/she can blame you for selling ;)

But in the end if you decide to go ahead with 60D, go ahead and don't look back. No point regretting what has been done, though I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy :)

Please note that the 60D, do not come with AF fine tune feature and several other features previously found in 40D or 50D. TS, if you are serious about getting a better camera, 7D is the way to go IMHO.

daredevil123 said:
Please note that the 60D, do not come with AF fine tune feature and several other features previously found in 40D or 50D. TS, if you are serious about getting a better camera, 7D is the way to go IMHO.

Or 5DMK2, which is much cheaper now I heard

Cowseye said:
Or 5DMK2, which is much cheaper now I heard

Huh 5dmk2 much cheaper?
I think it was cheap around few hundred buck and this also is out of question of TS :)

Btw TS if u think you wan just go ahead with the 60d...

robin-ang said:
Huh 5dmk2 much cheaper?
I think it was cheap around few hundred buck and this also is out of question of TS :)

Btw TS if u think you wan just go ahead with the 60d...

Haha, see how far this poison takes him loh.

Cowseye said:
Haha, see how far this poison takes him loh.

Haha...Don't make TS more confuse better we just suggest him a 60d with a gd lens...

Btw TS for 3rd party lens maybe u can get a 17-50 tamrom it was not bad...but it was cost around sgd 450-600 so up to you izzit you will choose for vc or non vc...

And if you still don't know which lens is suitable for you I suggest better u stay with ur 18-55 1st...