Upgrading camera body. EOS 7D or EOS 650D

jimmyfam

Aug 8, 2012
Singapore
Thinking of upgrading my Canon EOS 500D camera body. Split between EOS 7D and EOS 650D. Any advise? :p

Yes, the same advice as what we asked many many other people: start thinking about it, don't ask other people how to spend your money. If you are split between an entry level model and a high end model it shows that you haven't thought much yet.
All three cameras take pictures. What do you really need that your current 500D cannot deliver? Name it, analyze it, tell us what you expect from a new camera. Otherwise I would suspect an ordinary case of GAS (Gear Acquiring Syndrome).

Last edited:
7D if you have the cash.

Thinking of upgrading my Canon EOS 500D camera body. Split between EOS 7D and EOS 650D. Any advise? :p

Do you need the articulating lcd, touchscreen select focus point, better movie recording mode among other things would be the 650D. At 5fps, the 650D is pretty decent all rounder. If however you are the more adventurous sort then the 7D would be more suitable with its rugged construction and if you do sports and bird watching where you have the tendency to machine gun the shutter then the 7D has quite the large buffer.

If me, i would use the 7D for sports action and the 650D for everyday camera including cosplay photography. At 520g body only, its pretty light.

if u like the function of the 650D but de more solid performance of the 7D, y not the 60D? the sensor is the same as 7D..it has articulate screen....and its newer than 7D...cost inbetween

Image quality of 7D is about the same as the 650D, which is in turn about the same as the 500D.

All use APS-C sensors.

You're confused with the type of sensor with the model of sensor. That's just like saying the 5D MkII's sensor is the same as the MkIII's because both are full-frame sensors.

You're confused with the type of sensor with the model of sensor. That's just like saying the 5D MkII's sensor is the same as the MkIII's because both are full-frame sensors.

Yes indeed. This is exactly what I am saying.

I don't mean that there aren't improvements and that they are identifcal. You may get less noise and maybe slight improvements in dynamic range - and of course more megapixels. But overall most users would be hard pressed to perceive differences.

Jump sensor size on the other hand and the IQ improvements become obvious!

Yes indeed. This is exactly what I am saying.

I don't mean that there aren't improvements and that they are identifcal. You may get less noise and maybe slight improvements in dynamic range - and of course more megapixels. But overall most users would be hard pressed to perceive differences.

Jump sensor size on the other hand and the IQ improvements become obvious!

It's not just about the sensor, the processor that processes the image plays a bigger role in all that you've mentioned than you'd expect.

True. However there would not be a difference in the RAW images.

The TS can still make use of his 500D, and save a lot of money, by doing RAW conversion on his/her computer instead.

Why would there not be a difference in RAW? The 500D uses a different sensor from the 7D and 650D, and yes, the light data from the sensor still has to go through that processor and be reassembled as digital data that can be viewed.

Last edited:
True. However there would not be a difference in the RAW images.

The TS can still make use of his 500D, and save a lot of money, by doing RAW conversion on his/her computer instead.

what????!!??

Image quality of 7D is about the same as the 650D, which is in turn about the same as the 500D.

All use APS-C sensors.

I think you are very very very mistaken... The sensors may be same size, but they are from different generations...

If going by your logic, you might as well say 7D and 350D has the same image quality... they all use APS-C sensors... NOT

daredevil123 said:
I think you are very very very mistaken... The sensors may be same size, but they are from different generations...

In the end it all boils down to the skill of the photographers first, before the equipment. Say you give TS 1DX and some awesome lens he may not e able to produce much more pleasing results than what he can do with his 500D now.

The fact that TS is outright asking for advice aka reasons to upgrade, shows that TS probably do not know yet, the limitations that his camera have on his ability to take photos.

I would advise TS to save his money and only buy when you are sure that the limiting factor in your photography is your equipment before you upgrade and even so, upgrade your lenses first before your body.

buy a 5D3 and 50L . sure got difference.

In the end it all boils down to the skill of the photographers first, before the equipment. Say you give TS 1DX and some awesome lens he may not e able to produce much more pleasing results than what he can do with his 500D now.

The fact that TS is outright asking for advice aka reasons to upgrade, shows that TS probably do not know yet, the limitations that his camera have on his ability to take photos.

I would advise TS to save his money and only buy when you are sure that the limiting factor in your photography is your equipment before you upgrade and even so, upgrade your lenses first before your body.

Yes, I know all that.. but to say there are no differences in image quality and RAW files between the 500D and 7D is "highly debatable" (edited by Mod)

Last edited:

And you're completely missing the point...