Upgrade which?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbert488

Aug 29, 2009
Sengkang
Dear All,

anyone can give me an advice whether which is the best choice.
I wanted to upgrade my camera to 7D but my friends told me much better to upgrade my lens. they say "good photography comes to a photographer not to its camera." BTW my camera is only 1000D.

Your advice are most appreciated.:think:

In what way do you feel you camera is inadequate? We know nothing about you, your pictures, etc etc etc. So we have *no clue* what the "limiting factor" could be. So I say it's is NOT your lens, NOR your camera body. You might not even need to buy a lens. For all you know the limit is *you*, and you need to improve your skills first before getting the "better equipment = better shots" mentality. I can guarantee you a skille dphotographer who pays attention to composition and light will get a far better shot with a compact camera than a newbie with a the most expensive gear.

I am also a newbie but what I would think is that you need to know your genre of shooting and if upgrading of lens cannot give you the perspective you want as in there are limitations of the camera then you should upgrade the body else changing of lens should be suffice. :)

Again, I may be wrong, so gurus please correct me.

I am also a newbie but what I would think is that you need to know your genre of shooting and if upgrading of lens cannot give you the perspective you want as in there are limitations of the camera then you should upgrade the body else changing of lens should be suffice. :)

Again, I may be wrong, so gurus please correct me.

Correct. You need to master yur current equipment first and find out what "niche" you are into, then you will know what equipment you need.

Correct. You need to master yur current equipment first and find out what "niche" you are into, then you will know what equipment you need.

Agreed 100%. :thumbsup:

In what way do you feel you camera is inadequate? We know nothing about you, your pictures, etc etc etc. So we have *no clue* what the "limiting factor" could be. So I say it's is NOT your lens, NOR your camera body. You might not even need to buy a lens. For all you know the limit is *you*, and you need to improve your skills first before getting the "better equipment = better shots" mentality. I can guarantee you a skille dphotographer who pays attention to composition and light will get a far better shot with a compact camera than a newbie with a the most expensive gear.

Well said :thumbsup:

TS, Ask yourself "What is wrong with my 1000D?"
(Eg. No spot meter to meter from subject in complex lighting situations; Min ISO200 not enough to darken the background in daylight flash photography; Poor ISO performance and you do mainly concert photography; etc)
If you don't have the answer, I'd encourage to explore your existing camera further.

Dear All,

anyone can give me an advice whether which is the best choice.
I wanted to upgrade my camera to 7D but my friends told me much better to upgrade my lens. they say "good photography comes to a photographer not to its camera." BTW my camera is only 1000D.

Your advice are most appreciated.:think:

however it does help to certain extent having a better gear.....;)

Is money a concern? If not, by all means go all out.

Is money a concern? If not, by all means go all out.

...But don't expect better pictures if the main issue is a lack of skills...

ya agree
i also hav a thought to upgrade my D60
but i upgrade a lens 1st
coz i need the lens than a camera

i want to upgrade camera coz its poor ISO quality
for the event shooting (night event)
i cannot easily put higher ISO to achieve high shutter speed to freeze the action
so maybe use flash, avoid to shoot very fast motion or just accept the noise if no choice
( normally people can use ISO 800 with acceptable quality , but my D60 ISO 400 alr lots of noises )

know his camera is always a photographer job

correct me if i'm wrong thx ^^

Hi Guys,

firstly i am overwhelm for all the advice and sugggestion you've given and i am very please. anyways i am in photography for a year now and up to now trying to find out which genre or forte i am good for. for 1000D i feel that there is missing such as taking picture at night giving a high ISO or maybe like what you said lack of skills. anyways herewith is the link for :) some photos i attached and you will be the judge. so guys i need your critics.http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=794605540&ref=profile#/album.php?aid=348666&id=794605540

hi again since i am just a newbie here can anyone of you instruct me how to paste a photo. i tried the insert picture icon but it keep asking the link. Please help.

hi again since i am just a newbie here can anyone of you instruct me how to paste a photo. i tried the insert picture icon but it keep asking the link. Please help.

I am a dinosaur (I don't use facebook) :rolleyes:

Anyway, to paste a photo place "
"

Hi Guys,

firstly i am overwhelm for all the advice and sugggestion you've given and i am very please. anyways i am in photography for a year now and up to now trying to find out which genre or forte i am good for. for 1000D i feel that there is missing such as taking picture at night giving a high ISO or maybe like what you said lack of skills. anyways herewith is the link for :) some photos i attached and you will be the judge. so guys i need your critics.http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=794605540&ref=profile#/album.php?aid=348666&id=794605540

Sound advice notwithstanding, you are "very pleased" when one of them sounded like he was chastising you?:bigeyes:

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

In my personal opinion, you only need to upgrade if you maxed out your current equipment and you still find it limited, for example you said you were limited by night shots, but there are a lot of techniques aside form high ISO i could think of already like the use of tripod, external flash, rear/front curtain syncs, image stablised lens, larger aperture lens, post processing etc... in your case it's not lack of skills rather lack of time or practice, i can say this because you mentioned you are already shooting for one year but haven't found your genre yet..if there are some shots you want to achieve and cannot seem to do it with your current equipment, you can maybe ask more specific questions and post some sample pictures and your settings..

Hi Guys,

for 1000D i feel that there is missing such as taking picture at night giving a high ISO

For a crop sensor camera, 1000D high ISO is one of the best loh!

even better than 500D, as long as you do some NR.

unless you're saying 1000D can only go up to 1600 and that's not enough for you.. then maybe you need to upgrade to at least 500D

hi all,

all the advices you have given makes me search and learn more of my skills and genre and explore more of my camera. i hope you dont mind what is NR? by the way here are som of my photos taking potrait, landscape and macroshots all in manual program.
profile.php
profile.php
profile.php

Looking at the possible low light photos on your facebook link, I suggest getting an external flash and pointing it at the ceiling for those indoor shots of the baby. However, this will not work for outdoor night scenes and if that is what you want to improve, get a tripod. I think if you have to ask whether to upgrade the camera or lens first, you are probably not ready to upgrade either one. I suggest only upgrading when you find a limitation, that way you can save your money for the really big stuff. Finally, why not consider 'upgrading' by buying photography books. If you are starting out, books will improve your photography much more than a new camera/lens and they cost way less. IMO, books are one of the most important things that no one likes buying. :D

Note: If you decide to get a tripod, go for the best you can afford. Till this day I still regret buying a cheap tripod that doesn't provide enough support for majority of cameras.

Note: If you decide to get a tripod, go for the best you can afford. Till this day I still regret buying a cheap tripod that doesn't provide enough support for majority of cameras.[/QUOTE]

no ya
my 1st tripod is only S$ 70 +
it served me very well !
no brand , but good enough haha (for beginner)

Status
Not open for further replies.