Upgrade to D5 body or spend money on buying lenses


Aug 19, 2012
66
0
6
69
Yishun
#61
Many thanks for the link to download the Nikon software.
I have successfully downloaded both the View NX-i & Capture NX-D.

Now for the hard part, are there any notes/instructions for me to read up on how to utilize them?
Secondly, does it mean only RAW can utilize the said softwares? Because, being a beginner, all my photos are shot in JPEG.

Please advise.
 

Octarine

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
12,544
33
48
Pasir Ris
#62
Now for the hard part, are there any notes/instructions for me to read up on how to utilize them?
On the very same page, look for 'User's Manual'.

Secondly, does it mean only RAW can utilize the said softwares? Because, being a beginner, all my photos are shot in JPEG.
The software works with RAW and JPG. But since JPG is already processed and compressed by your camera, the options and possibilities for post processing are limited.
To put this into numbers: JPG only contains about 10% of the image information compared to RAW, the other 90% are gone. Obviously, with only 10% left there only so much a software can do.
 

Aug 19, 2012
66
0
6
69
Yishun
#63
On the very same page, look for 'User's Manual'.


The software works with RAW and JPG. But since JPG is already processed and compressed by your camera, the options and possibilities for post processing are limited.
To put this into numbers: JPG only contains about 10% of the image information compared to RAW, the other 90% are gone. Obviously, with only 10% left there only so much a software can do.
Point noted and many thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.
 

Jan 3, 2007
179
0
16
#64
Your confusion is fundamental basic. You do not understand what is WB and you shoot in Auto mode. There is nothing wrong with your camera or lenses. Go to youtube to pick up a few lessons on what is AWB, WB and manual setting using Kelvin Temps in your camera setting.

I hope the below tips will help you understand the nature of WB before the salesman con you into buying an expensive D5 and losing $15K!

https://photographylife.com/what-is-white-balance-in-photography
https://fstoppers.com/post-production/learn-shoot-proper-white-balance-using-kelvin-temps-3328

PS: If you add in the flash factor, then that is another story because you need to add diffuser or colour filters on the flash to match your camera WB. Please take note. I agreed 100% with what Octarine commented, "Your lens has zero influence on the colour temperature".
 

daredevil123

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
21,662
69
48
lil red dot
#65
White balance is always dependent on your own preference on how you want your photos temperature to turn out. Even on the D700, you are able to either set the WB to a specific K value setting, or you can shift the WB any of the available modes (sunny, flash, fluorescent, etc..) to what you need. You can shift it to B (blue) or A (amber), you can also shift the tint (magenta vs green). There is no perfect WB settings when you are dealing with mixed lighting situations, you can only select a balance of what you think is right for the situation. Other solutions include using color gels to get your flash to match color temperatures of the ambient lighting.
 

Likes: felixcat8888

felixcat8888

Senior Member
May 8, 2005
9,309
19
38
52
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#66
Oops! My apologies but I forgot to mention that all those functions are family functions (free of charge shootings), not commercial ones as I still do not have the pre-requisite skills
to offer my services yet.

Perhaps by the end of 2018 after I have diligently practised what I have learnt.

Dear Stephen,

In order to upgrade one's skills, one has to practice to shoot. Join outings that are organised by Clubsnap forumers. This is one very good way to improve on our skills in photography. Lighting is very subjective as it can change within the hour you are shooting. Even family functions need a decent skill to shoot indoors. Without the basics, you will keep making the same mistakes. What you learn on paper/online are just guides and you MUST practice in order to get better. Your 24-70/2.8 lens is a good lens for indoor shoots. I too have a FF camera and 24-70/2.8 lens and I shoot indoors without the use of flash. You MUST know your camera in order to get the best use out of it. Never use it in the Green Auto mode.

When I started doing portraiture, I tried my hand using on board flash, but the colours do not always come out the way I wanted it. I also learned to use Lightroom and Photoshop on my own to enhance the photos that can be used.

A few years ago, a good friend taught me to use strobes as lighting for portraiture and as I began to get better, I decided to invest in a strobe on my own. From there, I practiced by going to photoshoots and learn from the guys who shoot portraiture often. I am quite proficient in shooting with strobes or without strobes/flash now. If the light is very good, you don't even need lighting BUT the skill must be there.

You can go onto Flickr.com to see and learn how portraits are created.

Something to get you moving in the right direction.
https://www.clubsnap.com/forums/gatherings-and-outings.49/
 

Last edited:

felixcat8888

Senior Member
May 8, 2005
9,309
19
38
52
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#67
Oops! My apologies but I forgot to mention that all those functions are family functions (free of charge shootings), not commercial ones as I still do not have the pre-requisite skills
to offer my services yet.

Perhaps by the end of 2018 after I have diligently practised what I have learnt.

I hope you have decided on the course of action that you need. You need the practice to get this right so go out and shoot. join outings where people shoot models and you can learn from there, but these shoots are never free.
 

Top Bottom