Upgrade questions + intro: newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

contacted

Jun 8, 2004
Bedok

Hi all,

This message marks my very 1st post here. Came across this forum through http://reflecx.netfirms.com/cameraprices.html - very informative web page. :) Found this website/forum to be very informative.

Anyway just like to get some advise here. I've been using my Ixus 300 for about 2 years already, love it alot. But after coming back from a holiday, have developed this 'itch' to upgrade.

First of all, I don't really know much about photography other than point and click and abit of white balance toggling. So the question is, should I upgrade to a prosumer(5MP) camera or a dSLR? Of course I'll be signing up and reading up if I get a dSLR and the interest is there.

Interested in some cameras, like e.g. Canon PowerShot G5 and Sony DSC-V1.

What would you guys suggest, any advise would be appreciated.

;p

if u dun mind the size u should go for G5
to me the image quality is quite close to DSLR...
V1 is more towards design...small and cool (silver color)...btw I prefer the LCD of V1..sharper and clearer...

go for G5...better resale value (or get a 2nd hand) and more features for u to play with..
I also upgrade my G2 to 300d not too long ago :)

Frankly, you need to know why you want to upgrade, and which is the one for you, 5MP just because it's 2MP more? Or DSLR cause it's a status symbol?

Thanks for the info rainman

espn said:
Frankly, you need to know why you want to upgrade, and which is the one for you, 5MP just because it's 2MP more? Or DSLR cause it's a status symbol?

basically i wanna upgrade because my pictures didn't turn out well after my holiday. so want more functions that i can toggle with... status symbols ain't so important to me... my friend's friends brought along a D70 during the trip, when I tried taking a few pics, i some what felt 'high' when i took the first pic and subsequent pics...

hmm...care to clarify what u mean by "didn't turn out well"?

NashVillian said:
hmm...care to clarify what u mean by "didn't turn out well"?
eee...some pictures were abit blur, couldn't hold it firm enough... usually happens when there is no enough light, then the shutter speed seems to be slow... thus causing the blur.

correct me if i'm wrong

Most likely it's due to camera shake. The problem is magnified if you are using SLR.

On a P&S, you can go down to 1/4 sec without shake being evident, but for DSLR, no way you can do that. Depending on your focal length, it can range from min of 1/30 sec and faster. Of course the higher and more usable ISO speeds on DSLR will help offset somewhat.

If you want to have "background blur" kind of pictures, then you'd need DSLR.

hansia said:
Most likely it's due to camera shake. The problem is magnified if you are using SLR.

On a P&S, you can go down to 1/4 sec without shake being evident, but for DSLR, no way you can do that. Depending on your focal length, it can range from min of 1/30 sec and faster. Of course the higher and more usable ISO speeds on DSLR will help offset somewhat.

If you want to have "background blur" kind of pictures, then you'd need DSLR.

hey hansia, thanks for your info. appreiciate it...

i somewhat get what you mean to get my pictures to turn out better, but in order to have those added options available, i need a better cam.

so i'm confused as to what to upgrade to... prosumer or dSLR...

i do understand its a big step to jump into dSLR...but if i jump into prosumer range, the cost is somewhat close to dSLR...

With a DSLR, you can purchase Image Stabiliziation (IS) lenses that give you about 3 stops allowance.

contacted said:

Hi all,

This message marks my very 1st post here. Came across this forum through http://reflecx.netfirms.com/cameraprices.html - very informative web page. :) Found this website/forum to be very informative.

Anyway just like to get some advise here. I've been using my Ixus 300 for about 2 years already, love it alot. But after coming back from a holiday, have developed this 'itch' to upgrade.

First of all, I don't really know much about photography other than point and click and abit of white balance toggling. So the question is, should I upgrade to a prosumer(5MP) camera or a dSLR? Of course I'll be signing up and reading up if I get a dSLR and the interest is there.

Interested in some cameras, like e.g. Canon PowerShot G5 and Sony DSC-V1.

What would you guys suggest, any advise would be appreciated.

;p

hi there... well i m also a newbie... i intend to upgrade too to a DSLR after my BMT... ;)
got a fren of the same interest as me... also newbie... we learning together...

well think u should upgrade to DSLR... more flexible n nowadays newer DSLR much more easy n convenient to use... ;) :)

hey butters, its better to upgrade to a DSLR since entry level DSLR are made so affordable nowdays.

contacted said:
Thanks for the info rainman

basically i wanna upgrade because my pictures didn't turn out well after my holiday. so want more functions that i can toggle with... status symbols ain't so important to me... my friend's friends brought along a D70 during the trip, when I tried taking a few pics, i some what felt 'high' when i took the first pic and subsequent pics...

icarus said:
hey butters, its better to upgrade to a DSLR since entry level DSLR are made so affordable nowdays.
thats what i think so too icarus...

what is an average priced entry level dSLR? probably budget around 1-1.5K including accessories.

contacted said:
thats what i think so too icarus...

what is an average priced entry level dSLR? probably budget around 1-1.5K including accessories.

You are looking for a new one or used ? A new one can offset to 1.8k to 2.2k for the DSLR package + kits lens depending on the ones you are choosing.. You will need more to get a decent Compact flash card (which it doesn't come with), a decent tripod for night/low light shoot and much much more if you are intending to get better lens.

majere2sg said:
You are looking for a new one or used ? A new one can offset to 1.8k to 2.2k for the DSLR package + kits lens depending on the ones you are choosing.. You will need more to get a decent Compact flash card (which it doesn't come with), a decent tripod for night/low light shoot and much much more if you are intending to get better lens.
maybe have to look for used ones... was so sad that I missed the PC Show because I was overseas... Canon 300D came with a free EF 75-300mm lens and 256MB CompactFlash card...

One advice is that you should read up first. There are quite a few sites that gives comparison of prosumer digicam and dSLR like Ken Rockwell's site, The Luminous Landscape, etc.

Nothing's worse than spending so much money finding out that the camera's not the one u want... Before I got my 300D I continued to monitor it since the day it was launched till about a 6 mths ago... Look around the reviews from the internet on the cameras u are interested in and it'll give u an idea of how the cams work out.

thanks to smallaperture and nickmak... I've kinda decided on what to get. but due to other commitments currently, I'll continue to the monintor the dSLR scene for the time being.

hoping to be a D70 owner in the near future.

thanks for all who answered...

Status
Not open for further replies.