upgrade lens...

Kenven Chin

Jan 4, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
i'm D7000 user..using 18-105mm kit lens...looking for a lens bellow 1K..use for portrait...
i'm prefer the lens tat sharpe...and it can shoot landscape also....
before i like 50mm f1.4..but it cant zoom and colour not sharpe also....
it's 85mm/35mm 1.4 better than 50mm 1.4?

i'm D7000 user..using 18-105mm kit lens...looking for a lens bellow 1K..use for portrait...

A lens that can shoot portrait and landscape? Your kit lens can do all that, what's the reason for upgrade? 85/35mm f1.4 are both above 1K.

i means tat lens for protait, but not too bad in landscape...85/35 juz ask only ma.....if those r better than 50mm then i dun want buy 50 le...save more money to buy better lo..

85/1.4 and 35/1.4 are both above 2k. And they can't zoom as well.

Shoot more with your 18-105 and learn the basics before you think of another purchase. A better lens do not make you a better photographer. And your 18-105 can shoot portraits very well too.

If you really need a lens for portrait, just get the 50/1.8D. Cost you 100+ only.

Last edited:
You want a lens that can shoot potrait AND landscape, better than the 50mm 1.4, can zoom and for below 1K ?
If you found one, please let me know. Thank you.

Very hard to such lens to meet you condition.

i means tat lens for protait, but not too bad in landscape...85/35 juz ask only ma.....if those r better than 50mm then i dun want buy 50 le...save more money to buy better lo..

35, 50 and 85mm are all used differently. You cannot compare them.

how about sigma17-50 or tamron17-50 both can zoom hahahaha

Obviously you haven't done your homework and probably you yourself also don't really know what you are talking about.

Firstly, to be frank, I haven't heard of people commenting that the 50 f1.4 is not sharp. This is definitely not true. Secondly, it seems to me that you need a zoom lens but you have been considering primes which sounded very contradicting. Last but not least, all lenses can shoot portraits and landscapes. It is a matter of whether you know how to do the job or not.

My advice is that you keep your precious 1k inside your pocket first. Shoot more, read more and get your priorities right first but you start looking for a new lens.

They're all good lenses. You may based your decision on the focal length you tend to use on your 18-105mm.

Obviously you haven't done your homework and probably you yourself also don't really know what you are talking about.

Firstly, to be frank, I haven't heard of people commenting that the 50 f1.4 is not sharp. This is definitely not true. Secondly, it seems to me that you need a zoom lens but you have been considering primes which sounded very contradicting. Last but not least, all lenses can shoot portraits and landscapes. It is a matter of whether you know how to do the job or not.

My advice is that you keep your precious 1k inside your pocket first. Shoot more, read more and get your priorities right first but you start looking for a new lens.

Hmm, its true that the 50mm f1.4 is not sharp wide open, which pushed many people into buying the Sigma version

Last edited:

Hmmm.... do u really need the F1.4?
if u don need the 1.4 u can try the 1.8f with 1 k you might be able to get 2 of the focal length u mention.

kit lens is already sharp.. can cover portrait and landscape...

but if u insist to buy.... get sigma 17-50 F2.8 or Tamron 17-50 F2.8... both sharper than your kit lens ..can use for landscape and portrait too... also within your budget...

85/1.4 and 35/1.4 are both above 2k. And they can't zoom as well.

Shoot more with your 18-105 and learn the basics before you think of another purchase. A better lens do not make you a better photographer. And your 18-105 can shoot portraits very well too.

If you really need a lens for portrait, just get the 50/1.8D. Cost you 100+ only.

i will try to use more my 18-105...thanks for your suggest i will think for it.....thanks you....

i juz dun know other lens la...so tat y i ask all of u ma....i will try to save it la.....but i really need a lens tat give me more ma.....

Hmmm.... do u really need the F1.4?
if u don need the 1.4 u can try the 1.8f with 1 k you might be able to get 2 of the focal length u mention.

sometimes i think i dun need the 1.4, but the preice different many also...but my friend say tat he's going to sell the 50mm 1.8 and buy a new 1.4 leh...i scare i will do it in the future,watse money ma...and 1.4 not really too expensive...

kit lens is already sharp.. can cover portrait and landscape...

but if u insist to buy.... get sigma 17-50 F2.8 or Tamron 17-50 F2.8... both sharper than your kit lens ..can use for landscape and portrait too... also within your budget...

nice....thank you....

All lenses can take portraits, from fisheye to tilt shift to macro to tele to super tele
All lenses can take landscape, from fisheye to tilt shift to macro to tele to super tele

the only lenses have aperture below f2 and below 1k are 85f1.8, 50f1.4, 50f1.8,

stick with you kit lens I would suggest, once you have limitation, you will pull yourself harder to overcome the limitation.

catchlights said:
All lenses can take portraits, from fisheye to tilt shift to macro to tele to super tele
All lenses can take landscape, from fisheye to tilt shift to macro to tele to super tele

the only lenses have aperture below f2 and below 1k are 85f1.8, 50f1.4, 50f1.8,

stick with you kit lens I would suggest, once you have limitation, you will pull yourself harder to overcome the limitation.

If you include DX lens, there's 35mm F/1.8 :)

You keeping shooting... with your 18-105mm and try set at 35mm, 50mm , 85mm at the same subject and distance to understand more about photography...