Upgrade from K100 to Kx w/ Kit Lens or buy New Wide Angle Lens

katman

May 12, 2007
For almost the same amount of money I can either

Upgrade my K100 to Kx with Kit Lens, (because I don't have a Kit Lens)
or Buy a new Wide Angle Lens either Sigma or Pentax DA

What do you guys think

Is the K100D too slow to operate? Do you want to shoot video? Do you need more megapixels (bigger prints, cropping, etc)? If yes, then maybe you should consider the K-x. If not, IMO it's better to invest your money in a lens which will hold its resale value better and expand your photographic opportunities than a new camera body that will depreciate and might not improve your photos as much.

Is the K100D too slow to operate? Do you want to shoot video? Do you need more megapixels (bigger prints, cropping, etc)? If yes, then maybe you should consider the K-x. If not, IMO it's better to invest your money in a lens which will hold its resale value better and expand your photographic opportunities than a new camera body that will depreciate and might not improve your photos as much.
I am not after Megapixels or Video, but does KX perform much better (photo quality, Control, ISO, etc...) compared to K100. and is it worth it to upgrade. You have a point on the resale value of lens vs camera... hmmmmmm

I am not after Megapixels or Video, but does KX perform much better (photo quality, Control, ISO, etc...) compared to K100. and is it worth it to upgrade. You have a point on the resale value of lens vs camera... hmmmmmm

I don't think it has improved much on controls, since it's also a single-dial and the Fn button layout, which works well, has been retained. Don't think Live View is worth upgrading for either. You might find the AF has significantly improved but that depends if you're happy with what you have currently. Personally, I will think a lot when it comes to upgrading camera but for lens it's a much easier decision. Which explains why I'm still on a K20D right now ;)

Thanks darrrrr, And I don't want to waste my wired remote, its very handy specially when my camera is mounted on a tripod.

Dump the K100D... it was great THEN... it's been overshadowed and a few generations behind in terms of sensor performance (speaking as an ex-K100D/K100D Super owner).
If not have it converted into an infrared camera.

Last edited:
For almost the same amount of money I can either

Upgrade my K100 to Kx with Kit Lens, (because I don't have a Kit Lens)
or Buy a new Wide Angle Lens either Sigma or Pentax DA

What do you guys think

If you don't need higher ISO or more MP to crop, you can stick to the K100D for now and get a new lens.

If you want a body upgrade, maybe can try a k20d or even a k10d (nothing beats its IQ at low ISOs and colors). Not that much point getting a k-x. Spend the remaining on lenses would be wise too.

...try a k20d or even a k10d (nothing beats its IQ at low ISOs and colors). Not that much point getting a k-x.

Wish somebody who has both the K-x and a K10d/K20d can prove this with a few real world images in this forum. I'm not really sure as yet if this is true... but then again, am not sure as yet if this is false either!

Last edited:
I guess it also depends on your current lens line-up? You said you don't have a kit lens, so what lenses are you shooting with at the moment?

Wish somebody who has both the K-x and a K10d/K20d can prove this with a few real world images in this forum. I'm not really sure as yet if this is true... but then again, am not sure as yet if this is false either!
Probably I should not comment for the kx cos I do not own it. BUt I prefer the k10d's color and IQ to the k7. And k7's high iso perfromance is not any much better than k10d lor... All in all, k7 is superior in terms of little things here and there but fundamentally, in terms of IQ and colors and ISO, i don't see the quantum. I'll do a comparison one of these days!

Probably I should not comment for the kx cos I do not own it. BUt I prefer the k10d's color and IQ to the k7. And k7's high iso perfromance is not any much better than k10d lor... All in all, k7 is superior in terms of little things here and there but fundamentally, in terms of IQ and colors and ISO, i don't see the quantum. I'll do a comparison one of these days!

Absolutely agree with your opinion above. I own the K-x had can confidently state it can eat up any previous Pentax DSLR at high ISOs if you are comparing default output straight from the camera without any PP.

Even with basic PP it has been quite difficult for me to clean up the K7's noise at high ISOs. Maybe my PP skills aren't that good or I just cannot force myself to spend too much time doing PP to my images! I personally never spend more than a few seconds doing PP to any of my images... generally less than 10 seconds, sometimes less than 30 seconds and rarely more than a minute.

But, that said, I have no problem using my K-x at ISO 12,800 for subsequent printing at 5"x7" size without much PP... sometimes even no PP at all... isn't that great?!!!

I have often printed out A4 sized images captured with my K-x at ISO 3,200 and ISO 6,400 without any perceptible noise! For my personal needs (90% of my shooting is indoors), the K7 doesn't cut it at all. I made comparison test prints with a friend's K7 and my K-x (same images shot in same conditions at the same time) two weeks ago... so I state this from direct experience.

Love the features of the K7 though and hence may pre-order the K8/K9 when it is announced if it has similar high ISO capability.

The only thg that attracts me for kx is the high iso performance. Other than that, I find it too plastic for my liking. But that kx sensor is really god-like. Some say it is possible to clean up the noise on the k7 to match closely to that of the kx but I do not find it really that possible. Even at iso1600, the noise is quite horrible for the k7...

Dump the K100D... it was great THEN... it's been overshadowed and a few generations behind in terms of sensor performance (speaking as an ex-K100D/K100D Super owner).
If not have it converted into an infrared camera.

Good suggestion :thumbsup: K100D is a great IR camera after conversion :cool:

I guess it also depends on your current lens line-up? You said you don't have a kit lens, so what lenses are you shooting with at the moment?
Pentax 50mm 1.4 and Sigma 18-200. Bought only the K100 Body cause I really wanted to work with Prime Lens