Upgrade from D70 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azmi

Oct 13, 2004
With my camera..hee
Hi to all!
Been using the D70 for about a year plus now and thinking of upgrading to next level. Although the D2X is THE upgrade right now but the price is way of my budget. Saw a couple of D2H going in the 2nd hand market and was considering it.
Went through the specs but the only thing I can translate and appreciate right now is the built in VG compared to the Jenis VG on my D70. I'm sure there are lots of d70 users out there looking around for the next level...

So...
1) Other than all those numbers in the specs, what else can I expect in the comparisons?
2) Should I just wait for D200, which everyone seems to be doing.
3) Should I just save up and get the D2X ( Which I think by then, a D3X might appear..hee )
4) Or just stay with my D70.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Any recommendations from the experienced out there?
Currently, I'm doing freelance ( weddings, functions, and also currently company photographer - for events lah...hee ). My FBO got D70, Jenis VG, kit lens, 70-300, 24-120VR and SB800 )

:gbounce: Thanks and Cheers! :gbounce:

Totally dependent on your own needs. For weddings, a D200 might be helpful but you dun want to be working through 500+ nef files. My opinion is to stick with the D70. What is it about the D70 that you are not happy with?

Well, the Jenis VG has been giving problems which everyone else seems to be experiencing too. The built in VG with longer battery life is a plus for me cos the places I go, don't normally have a place to recharge the batts. Wouldn't want to be lugging around with too many batteries, additional space required for my pack. I'd rather keep my pack small.
Always wanted to get the D2H/D2Hs but couldn't afford it that time so got a D70. Thought of grabbing it in the near future and stick to it once and for all. And I really want to know why everyone drooling over the D2X too.....

:think: :think:

Hmmm....other than that. I really need to convince myself that D70 is BETTER than D2Hs...heh heh...:bsmilie:

Azmi said:
Any recommendations from the experienced out there?
Currently, I'm doing freelance ( weddings, functions, and also currently company photographer - for events lah...hee ). My FBO got D70, Jenis VG, kit lens, 70-300, 24-120VR and SB800 )

:gbounce: Thanks and Cheers! :gbounce:

Hi there i think u should upgrade yr lens line up rather then looking at the body upgrade ... u will appricate more from yr D70 with better lens ...

if u dont need pro lenses then u dont really need a pro body then ... a D70 with yr current lens line up should be gd enough for yr own expectation and also yr client expectation

:)

Any recommendations for lens upgrade? I thought of getting Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 or 12-24 F4.5-5.6. The Tokina ( forgot the range ) on offer at CP also not bad leh...not so ex.

Thanks.

Azmi said:
Any recommendations for lens upgrade? I thought of getting Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 or 12-24 F4.5-5.6. The Tokina ( forgot the range ) on offer at CP also not bad leh...not so ex.

Thanks.
Get the sigma 10-20 if u dont intend to shoot on flims , otherwise the famous 12-24 sigma is great ... have not tried the tokina but then optics wise i will go for the sigma ....

otherwise its better to go for original nikon lens the 12-24 f4 DX ... the lens that offers u flexible wide angle zoom with unbeatable nikon wide angle quality , solid and precise picture quality

S11loop said:
Get the sigma 10-20 if u dont intend to shoot on flims , otherwise the famous 12-24 sigma is great ... have not tried the tokina but then optics wise i will go for the sigma ....QUOTE]

Is the 12-24mm not for film SLR too?:dunno: :think:

ortega said:
12-24mm

Nikon = DX Crop
Tokina = DX Crop
Sigma = Full frame

So it's better to get the SIGMA? But my CCD is still DX format so still 1.5 crop factor right?

S11loop said:
Get the sigma 10-20 if u dont intend to shoot on flims , otherwise the famous 12-24 sigma is great ... have not tried the tokina but then optics wise i will go for the sigma ....

otherwise its better to go for original nikon lens the 12-24 f4 DX ... the lens that offers u flexible wide angle zoom with unbeatable nikon wide angle quality , solid and precise picture quality

Found this great site recently!
Thinking of getting the AF-S DX 12-24 f/4 G Nikon lens as an upgrade to the D70 standard kit lens 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G. Is this a good lens worth the money? Anyone with this lens can share the experience? what would i expect from pic quality as compared to the my current lens?

How about the DX 17-55 mm f/2.8G?

If I wait for the new Nikon DX VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G (new lens that is launching with the D200) will this be "one lens fits all" for typical recreational photography?

sorry for tonnes of incoherent questions, thanks for the feedback!

Azmi said:
So it's better to get the SIGMA? But my CCD is still DX format so still 1.5 crop factor right?
right now, if you plan to use the 12-24 with a film camera (full frame) then it is better to get the sigma.

if you plan to stay with the crop factor then, I'd prefer the tokina.

zag said:
Thinking of getting the AF-S DX 12-24 f/4 G Nikon lens as an upgrade to the D70 standard kit lens 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G. Is this a good lens worth the money? Anyone with this lens can share the experience? what would i expect from pic quality as compared to the my current lens?

If I wait for the new Nikon DX VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G (new lens that is launching with the D200) will this be "one lens fits all" for typical recreational photography?

the 12-24 is an add on to your 18-70, not a replacement.

the 17-55 is a replacement.

zag said:

Well, for starters, your 18-70 costs about $500 new, a 12-24 DX and 17-55 costs about $1.6K and $2.5K respectively, so what do you think the image quality will be like comparing with a 18-70? :dunno:

espn said:
Well, for starters, your 18-70 costs about $500 new, a 12-24 DX and 17-55 costs about $1.6K and $2.5K respectively, so what do you think the image quality will be like comparing with a 18-70? :dunno:

yes, the 12-24mm is add on for wider angle. sorry that was what i meant.

also yes i am aware of the cost, have been doing research here and there and almost bought these two lenses last week but held back if the improvement over the standard lens cheapo lens i am having is mediocre.

so if anyone who has compared both lens image quality rather than being cynical and telling me about the price difference would be appreciated.

zag said:
also yes i am aware of the cost, have been doing research here and there and almost bought these two lenses last week but held back if the improvement over the standard lens cheapo lens i am having is mediocre.

so if anyone who has compared both lens image quality rather than being cynical and telling me about the price difference would be appreciated.
Cynical? If I'm cynical I would have taken a spoon and fed you spoon by spoon.

Think a bit and you'll get my meaning on my last remark. :rolleyes:

One is a consumer grade glass, whereas the other two are professional grade glass. "Medicore" differences? Hmmm :think:

espn said:
Cynical? If I'm cynical I would have taken a spoon and fed you spoon by spoon.

Think a bit and you'll get my meaning on my last remark. :rolleyes:

One is a consumer grade glass, whereas the other two are professional grade glass. "Medicore" differences? Hmmm :think:

mediocre is my suspect therefore i am looking for advice from users/owner who has played with these lenses. I can read the Nikkor brochure and all.
then show me your experience rather! duh!

anyway... don't response if you can't show newbie a trick or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.