Upgrade from crop body to FF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimik07

Oct 13, 2009
East
I have heard and read about many people upgrading from crop bodies to FF bodies. Just wondering what exactly are the factors influencing such decisions? Is it advisable if I upgrade to a FF without fully exploring what my crop body can offer? Will I be missing out on anything critical? :think:
Kindly shine some light on me, thanks!

Yeah... was wondering that too...
Some says that its not bout the equipment.. its all bout the skills...

Pls share.... wud like to hear from u..

There are quite a few "crop or full frame" discussions and articles online. I woud suggest reading some of those.

sometimes it's not the choice between crop or FF, but the technology behind the body. you can't argue that most FF bodies are much better, technology-wise than crop versions. however, having said that, crop bodies are quickly catching up. D300s is a case in point.

Since you are canon user, just go to canon subforum. There is a thread discussing 7d vs 5dmk2

sometimes it's not the choice between crop or FF, but the technology behind the body. you can't argue that most FF bodies are much better, technology-wise than crop versions. however, having said that, crop bodies are quickly catching up. D300s is a case in point.

Crop cannot catch up with FF. Whatever improvement you put in crop, it can be put in FF too.

Crop cannot catch up with FF. Whatever improvement you put in crop, it can be put in FF too.

True, and yet FF bodies are usually (necessarily) a bit larger and quite a bit more expensive. A good example is Canon's 7D. It's an APS-C body that has quite a few improvements over the 5DMkii, and it will take a while before the improvements made in the 7D make their way to the full-frame bodies for Canon.

Since you are canon user, just go to canon subforum. There is a thread discussing 7d vs 5dmk2

thanks chalib. will check that thread out.

As an old saying goes, if you are not sure of what FF can give you, then you are still not ready for it.
But if you have the bullets, just go for it :cool:

I have heard and read about many people upgrading from crop bodies to FF bodies. Just wondering what exactly are the factors influencing such decisions? Is it advisable if I upgrade to a FF without fully exploring what my crop body can offer? Will I be missing out on anything critical? :think:

I upgraded for portraits and also becos I'm more comfortable with the regular full-sized 35mm film format.

The larger the sensor, the more depth of field and 3-dimensional quality you get from the image, just like film negatives. The larger film negatives, the more 3-D the image due to d.o.f. and details captured. But all these do not make you a better photographer. A good photograph still depends largely on your imagination and your eyes. There are dozens of crop-sensor users who produce more stunning shots than FF users out there. As for FF, you will get more choices for wide angle lenses.

yes, you will miss out on the chance to realise that FF is not necessary to produce good photos.

jokes aside, crop bodies can produce good photos also.. and do remember, when you use FF, to get the most out of it, you have to use GOOD GLASS.

so it 's not as simple as paying the xxx dollars over crop body.

yes, you will miss out on the chance to realise that FF is not necessary to produce good photos.

jokes aside, crop bodies can produce good photos also.. and do remember, when you use FF, to get the most out of it, you have to use GOOD GLASS.

so it 's not as simple as paying the xxx dollars over crop body.

AGREE! Cameras like 5Dmk2 with the amount of pixels, show all flaws of the lenses that are previously not obvious. Best and Cheap FF - Shoot Film! :)

Hi,
I think not everyone that upgrade to a full frame need a full frame, most of them want a full frame... so if the photo is no good, it's user fault ma... ha ha ha ;p

IMHO, if you don't shoot a lot of landscape or you don't do poster size print out, there is no need to go full frame. Also, lens produce better result on crop DSLR than on full frame DSLR.

Anyway, I think no one will be able to tell you whether a photo is taken using a crop or full frame by looking at the print out... unless it's an ultra wide or fisheye photo (may be next time there will be a fisheye lens for crop DSLR).

Have a nice day.

Hi,
I think not everyone that upgrade to a full frame need a full frame, most of them want a full frame... so if the photo is no good, it's user fault ma... ha ha ha ;p

IMHO, if you don't shoot a lot of landscape or you don't do poster size print out, there is no need to go full frame. Also, lens produce better result on crop DSLR than on full frame DSLR.

Anyway, I think no one will be able to tell you whether a photo is taken using a crop or full frame by looking at the print out... unless it's an ultra wide or fisheye photo (may be next time there will be a fisheye lens for crop DSLR).

Have a nice day.

There are already ultra wide and fisheye lenses for crop cams.

After consulting the internation institute of camera, the official model answer is out.

Should after upgrading to a FF camera and the picture comes out bad, then it is definitely the skill problem. :bsmilie:

Yeah... was wondering that too...
Some says that its not bout the equipment.. its all bout the skills...

Pls share.... wud like to hear from u..

Status
Not open for further replies.