Upgrade for Panny GX1

Jliow

Mar 10, 2012
Hello fellow snappers

Just some thoughts about upgrading from my current Panny GX 1

I have been progressively adding lenses for my MFT, started out with 14-42 then the 20mm then the 45-175mm ones as I get comfortable with operating system camera and learning how to shoot and I intend to grab the must have Oly 45mm

Somehow I feel GX1 feels a Tad small and lack the feature of built in EVF which imho limited flash integration and i somewhat prefer shooting with the EVF. Right now considering an upgrade. I love the weight and compactness of MFT can but at the same time looking for more capability

If I were to stick with MFT in upgrades looking at

first choice Panny GH3
2nd choice Oly Omd-em5

Also considering DSLR.

On my mind Canon 5D MKIII (But I think too much to pay for busy people like me ) or
NIKON 7100

Please share your thoughts

Why not just get the EVF for the GX1?
IMO, there is no significant upgrade in the sensor by going to GH3 or EM5.

Between GH3 and EM5, the GH3 is larger, easier to hold and has a less cluttered button layout, imo.

If you want a DSLR that is small with smallish primes, look at Pentax.

You need to decide why you'd want to look beyond mft.

If you want a good evf, there's also Fuji and Sony to consider

If your primary concern is the lack of an evf, you can either add the lvf-2 or get an em5. The em5 with solve the flash integration issue you have too.

As above, upgrading from the GX-1 to the em5 won't give you a significant boost in iq, hence you must justify whether the upgrade is worth the purchase price.

If you want a full fledged system that has ultimate IQ, flash control, VF all in one, the current m4/3 lineup will not be sufficient and you'll have to look at FFs from Canon and Nikon to satisfy your demands. Yet, these cameras are heavy and importable.

If you have a strong intention to get a new camera, make sure it's justified to make that purchase. Otherwise just spend more time shooting with the existing system and you may find that the drawbacks (ie lack of flash integration, evf) are minor and insignificant.

Why not just get the EVF for the GX1?
IMO, there is no significant upgrade in the sensor by going to GH3 or EM5.

Between GH3 and EM5, the GH3 is larger, easier to hold and has a less cluttered button layout, imo.

If you want a DSLR that is small with smallish primes, look at Pentax.

You need to decide why you'd want to look beyond mft.

I do have the EVF....which imo inhibit having external flash investment

Pentax did cross my mind....but the only complain i have is the lack of a higher mp sensor......

Economics and value for dollar investment i felt (could be wrong) Pentax may not be a good option... Considering my slow pace at picking this hobby....looking at something a little future proofing....

I do want to look beyond MFTs or rather bodies that are more rguuerdized and preferrably weather seal......GX1 seems a little fragile for carry anywhere use.....

If you want a good evf, there's also Fuji and Sony to consider

Yup....but since i started with panny MFT lenses....i am hoping to increase the value of my investment by being able to reuse them and not reinvesting in new glasses....

If your primary concern is the lack of an evf, you can either add the lvf-2 or get an em5. The em5 with solve the flash integration issue you have too.

As above, upgrading from the GX-1 to the em5 won't give you a significant boost in iq, hence you must justify whether the upgrade is worth the purchase price.

If you want a full fledged system that has ultimate IQ, flash control, VF all in one, the current m4/3 lineup will not be sufficient and you'll have to look at FFs from Canon and Nikon to satisfy your demands. Yet, these cameras are heavy and importable.

If you have a strong intention to get a new camera, make sure it's justified to make that purchase. Otherwise just spend more time shooting with the existing system and you may find that the drawbacks (ie lack of flash integration, evf) are minor and insignificant.

I do understand the IQ hence the preference in GH3 body over em5 in terms of features

FF not on my radar coz i feel not a right investment for amature like me ...akin to a P plate drivet wana drive a Ferrari...too wasteful for a equipment with skills like mine

Guess my primary need is for a ruggerdized body for heavier use....GX1 a little fragile imo....weather seal be perfect....articulating screen a plus but not a must.....better hold and grip another important factor...

Humm...what else have i not considered yet

Why do you need weather sealing?

Why do you need weather sealing?

I missed an opportunity taking photo while in Dubai sand dunes....there were some winds and i did not quite dare expose my GX1 back then....so i feel from then on weather sealing quit important.....though i really wonder when will i rver be back in those dunes again

I missed an opportunity taking photo while in Dubai sand dunes....there were some winds and i did not quite dare expose my GX1 back then....so i feel from then on weather sealing quit important.....though i really wonder when will i rver be back in those dunes again

Errrr you don't need weather sealing. You need to stop thinking your gear is made of tofu.

Weathersealing is mainly for rain.

Even non-weathersealed cameras do just fine with sand. Try a Google search for "a900 Dakar rally" and you'll see.

Remember, a camera is just a tool. If you *missed* a photo opportunity because you were too kiasi, then you should just leave your camera at home. Getting the shot should be your first priority, not paranoia over what may not be an issue.

Remember, a camera is just a tool. If you *missed* a photo opportunity because you were too kiasi, then you should just leave your camera at home. Getting the shot should be your first priority, not paranoia over what may not be an issue.

Yeah...totally agree....actually i didnt miss the taking pics....just that i took it with my iPhone....which were not bad.....very fine sand were getting into my mouth....so reckon not to expose it. there were others in my group with DSLRs they too were putting it away say too dusty....so followed suit.and i started not too long with MFT....thus more sayang the tool.......

So its a misconception?

Yeah...totally agree....actually i didnt miss the taking pics....just that i took it with my iPhone....which were not bad.....very fine sand were getting into my mouth....so reckon not to expose it. there were others in my group with DSLRs they too were putting it away say too dusty....so followed suit.and i started not too long with MFT....thus more sayang the tool.......

So its a misconception?

you took pictures with your iPhone.... but not with your GX1?

i'm not sure if you see the irony here...

So its a misconception?

Yup. Just have a rocket blower with you, give it a good airclean once you are out of the sand and you'll be ok.

If you have a lens that extends in and out while zooming, I'd avoid doing that until you've cleaned it. This applies to weathersealed systems as well btw.

you took pictures with your iPhone.... but not with your GX1?

i'm not sure if you see the irony here...

Think the irony is well explained for self professed amature.....and not worth any further mentioning

Weather sealing doesn't help your camera in rigidity to everyday use. My omd hit a brick wall and the battery cover dropped off and there was huge dent on the side which wasn't covered by warranty.

Ultimately, it's how you take care of your gear regardless of its protection. The best protection for your camera in the fiercest storms is your judgement.

For the record i am sort of bought over by weather sealed system with this demo
PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube
Are you bought over by the option or because you really need it? I have used my small Canon 350D at the beach when the wind blew sand around, I have used it in drizzle. It still works well.
Just because a camera is not weather sealed does not mean it will fail with 2 drops of water hitting it.

Was going to point you to that Afghanistan dust demo, but you are already aware of it.

Honestly though, if I was in your shoes in Dubai with a GX1, I'd have opted to use a clear plastic bag, cut a hole for the lens and tape it up on the camera/lens. :)

I do have the EVF....which imo inhibit having external flash investment

Pentax did cross my mind....but the only complain i have is the lack of a higher mp sensor......

Economics and value for dollar investment i felt (could be wrong) Pentax may not be a good option... Considering my slow pace at picking this hobby....looking at something a little future proofing....

I do want to look beyond MFTs or rather bodies that are more rguuerdized and preferrably weather seal......GX1 seems a little fragile for carry anywhere use.....

I do think that you'd not need both flash and EVF at the same time for most cases.
Else, a cheap way round it is to get a used G3 and sell off your GX1.
They are basically the same camera except for style and handling (plus built in EVF).
That way, you need not top up cash to go OMD or GH3.

On Pentax, being long term viable, why not?
They are dedicated to their K mount since its inception in 1975. (which still works straight off w/o need for adapters on their DSLRs)
Not all camera companies can even claim that, having changed their mounts over the course of time.
Lenses, more than enough. (add in legacy lenses and there lots more to look out for and try )
You mention that it may not have enough MP, but imho, we have already reach a settling point in terms of that.
I print up to A3+ on my own printer and the results are fine.
Do look up the comparison samples on DPReview and ImagingResource to compare the o/p from a 16mp camera like the K5IIs and 24mp aps-c cameras and decide if the upgrade is substantial and worth the tradeoffs.

TS...

GX1 is a great little camera and it produce excellent photos. It might not be weather proof but frankly, unless you go shooting in the storm, your GX1 should be able to take up the punishment. I used my old 1000D and EPL1 in many many different situations before upgrading. And so far my cameras survived... so don't worry.

Also don't start thinking of economics and values of investments and/or if the camera is worth the money you spend on it... before getting that camera. I mean... what is the main purpose of you getting a camera? Because it came loaded with features, huge number of accessories and lenses? If that is the case... then maybe you should check out the latest Sony... as Sony normally would load their camera with huge number of features. However, if your main aim in getting a camera is to use it to take photos... and be comfortable with it... then I think the best way is to get a camera that you feel most at home with... irregardless of brands.

Also... don't get sway by all the 'recommendations'... be it gentle or pushy or anything... everyone had their own preference and what you like might not be what others like and what other (who make the recommendation) like might not be what you like. So be your own judge. Just march into a shop, ask for a couple of cameras, test it, see which one makes more sense, then get that one.