Upgarde or not?

Eric80

Sep 13, 2010
Hi all

I'm using canon 550D though of upgarding my Len. Now using kit I EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. Though of Changing to EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Pls advice.

why do you want to upgrade...

Hi all

I'm using canon 550D though of upgarding my Len. Now using kit I EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. Though of Changing to EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Pls advice.

If you need to ask others if you need to upgrade, the answer is very clear. You don't need to upgrade. ;)

Is it bcos of the Len is the same as my current one? Jus the F stop is different. if I want to take close up shot like flower or this what type of Len do you think I should buy? Micro Len some of my friend ask me to buy 55-200 Len.

Is it bcos of the Len is the same as my current one? Jus the F stop is different. if I want to take close up shot like flower or this what type of Len do you think I should buy? Micro Len some of my friend ask me to buy 55-200 Len.

Then u should get macro lens then... like canon 100mm or tamron 90mm... those telephoto lens can take shots of flowers but it got its own limitations... but then... if ya wanna go for telephoto then go for sigma instead... :-D

Hi all

i don't see any much difference between this 2 lens . . . just a point more wider and a bit more zoom . . .

Thank for yr advice. How abt for 55-250?

I saw this Len in canon website EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM what the different within IS & non IS

I saw this Len in canon website EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM what the different within IS & non IS

the L version got IS while non-L don't have IS... as far as I know IS not very impt for macro as most macro photographers use tripod...

I got try b4 canon 100mm and it gives great results... got try 55-250 before but for some reasons I am not able to capture sharp images with this lens...

Ok. Cos of IS Len really cost alot more den IS Len. I try my friend Nikon DSLR fix 3 party Len 77-300 w micro. Is so hard for me to take one gd shots.

Ah bro it's lens no such word as Len .

IS means got optical stabilization on the lens no IS means don't have .

Sorry la bro.. Newbie mah

Just live with your 18-55 untill you really know your stuff.

But if you really want to invest in macro, i can't stop you.

I have a few suggestions though.. you might not want to get a dedicated macro lens right now.
Instead, maybe you would want to consider magnification adapters such as the Raynox 250, attached to your kit lens.

If it is still not close enough, i suggest you to get the following:
50mm f1.8 + extension tubes = Less than $200, compared to the price of a dedicated macro lens, and at a later date, you realising that you are moving onto a different category of photography and don't need the lens anymore

Last edited:
No worries... we all start as newbie... :-D

I think u should start off deciding what type of photography u wanna go to... from there u will know what kind of lens do ya need...

i think you should not buy...

we are all trying to be nice, to help you save money and not buy unnecessarily.. why buy? why>????

ask yourself this question over and over again....

come up the reasons for buying... then maybe you will know that you don't need to buy...

nothing wrong with using a kit lens...

doesn't mean that you are using a kit lens then you are a lousier photographer than people using L lens...

don't let the world get to you...
you can do alot by just being simple...

in the future when you have explored the camera enough to know its limits, explored the lens to know the limits then you can upgrade, and you won't even have to ask us, cos you know what is best for you le...

since you don't know, our honest opinion is that the best thing to do is to stick with what you have...

Bro any brand to buy 50mm f1.8 + extension tubes & lastly which shop to buy from?

To all bro thank for all yr advice. I will still use my lens. Learn alot of thing today. Hope that we can meet up to share yr knowledge.

Bro any brand to buy 50mm f1.8 + extension tubes & lastly which shop to buy from?
Please have a good look into the price guides. You will find reputable shops listed on top. Disclaimer: "Reputable" means that on average the experience and prices in these shops is positive. This doesn't mean it's always positive and this also doesn't mean you can neglect your homework. Shops are for selling, not to educate or consult you for free.