Update full frame body or 24-70mm Lens...

duwax

May 15, 2010
Singapore
Hello guys,

Currently I have a D90 with Nikon 16-85mm, 50mm f/1.8D and Nikon 70-300 VR. Now I have some money for my gear and thinking to update full frame D700 or Nikon 24-70 f/2.8mm. Would a new full frame body be better investment at the start and then trying to update the lenses or should I get the lenses first and stick with my D90 body?

If I update body, of course I have to stick with 50mm f/1.8D and 70-300mm for a few months. Because my budget is only around 3000 S$.

Btw I like street photography and landscape.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot

Unless you think that you can live with a 50mm for street and landscape.

Plus, the 16-85 seems ok for street and landscape, as compared to the 24-70.

Hello guys,

Currently I have a D90 with Nikon 16-85mm, 50mm f/1.8D and Nikon 70-300 VR. Now I have some money for my gear and thinking to update full frame D700 or Nikon 24-70 f/2.8mm. Would a new full frame body be better investment at the start and then trying to update the lenses or should I get the lenses first and stick with my D90 body?

If I update body, of course I have to stick with 50mm f/1.8D and 70-300mm for a few months. Because my budget is only around 3000 S$.

How do you feel about the differences between a DX and a FX body? Rent a D700 for a day and see the differences. Though i'm not an expert on FXs, i think you should get more glasses than to jump into the camera itself so quickly.

Last edited:
Get the D700, the $ for lenses will appear because you will be possessed by the NAS. ;)

Just joking.

On a serious note, I would suggest you get lenses first.
Always lenses first.

yup always lenses first, depending on your needs and requirements too.

i also hope to go FF by end of this year... and this is my super budget purchase roadmap :bsmilie:

right now I'm on a d300 and tamron 17-50 non VC

first i'll get a sb700 then 85 1.8, then 24-85 (2.8-4), then i'll sell my DX stuff for D700 body. (all 2nd hand)

(i'm entering workforce end of this year. should i save up for my future, in case I find a girlfriend, or should I go full frame?) :bsmilie:

Hello guys,

it is always nice to own the best camera and lenses, but only you can answering these question, "what is the purpose and do you NEED or WANT these?"
if it is a NEED, you will find the money and the way to achieve your goal.
if it is a WANT, do it when money is not an issue.

apply the same principle, you need not to ask around asking strangers if you should stick to DX or go for D3X in future.

hope this help.

Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies and advices. I think I will buy lenses first and then I will update the FF body the last.

Get the D700, the $ for lenses will appear because you will be possessed by the NAS. ;)

Just joking.

On a serious note, I would suggest you get lenses first.
Always lenses first.

Thanks Weimng. I will go for lenses first. :)

its right that u go for lenses first.. until u got all the better lenses then u look at better body... however no matter what DX is still inferior to FX in IQ for noise even in low ISO.
If going for lens are u getting the 24-70mm which overlapped by yr current 16-85?? have u consider other lens like 17-35mm, 14-24mm ,24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 etc?

I was also using D90 before upgrading to D700. How do you normally compose your street shots?

current on your D90:
1) 16-85mm works at 24-127mm
2) 50mm at 75mm
3) 70-300mm at 105-450mm

and the 24-70 will be at 36-105mm, as you can see this actually also falls within your 16-85mm range.

if you upgrade to a D700, and you still wish to work within the range as above:
1) nearest zoom is 24-120mm
2) nearest prime is 85mm
3) nearest telezoom is 80-400mm

as you can see range wise, the 24-70mm will still be overlapped as well.

only you can decide what is best, what can you live with and what can you trade off with.
just my 2cts.

its right that u go for lenses first.. until u got all the better lenses then u look at better body... however no matter what DX is still inferior to FX in IQ for noise even in low ISO.
If going for lens are u getting the 24-70mm which overlapped by yr current 16-85?? have u consider other lens like 17-35mm, 14-24mm ,24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 etc?

Hi Omega23,
My dream is to own a full frame body with 14-24mm, 24-70mm and other lens or 70-200mm(last). But I cannot afford to buy all at once. So I decided to update one by one. May be I go for 24-70mm first then sell 16-85mm and fund for other lens ??

I was also using D90 before upgrading to D700. How do you normally compose your street shots?

current on your D90:
1) 16-85mm works at 24-127mm
2) 50mm at 75mm
3) 70-300mm at 105-450mm

and the 24-70 will be at 36-105mm, as you can see this actually also falls within your 16-85mm range.

if you upgrade to a D700, and you still wish to work within the range as above:
1) nearest zoom is 24-120mm
2) nearest prime is 85mm
3) nearest telezoom is 80-400mm

as you can see range wise, the 24-70mm will still be overlapped as well.

only you can decide what is best, what can you live with and what can you trade off with.
just my 2cts.

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the advice. I will take note. :)

Hi Omega23,
My dream is to own a full frame body with 14-24mm, 24-70mm and other lens or 70-200mm(last). But I cannot afford to buy all at once. So I decided to update one by one. May be I go for 24-70mm first then sell 16-85mm and fund for other lens ??

if i have all the money in the world i would like that dream too! haha
anyway dream is often "want" and not "need".
70-200mm is what i wanted before, but after trying it out, the weight of it put me off completely.
as I've no real need for it, its been strike off from my list of lens purchase.

if i have all the money in the world i would like that dream too! haha
anyway dream is often "want" and not "need".
70-200mm is what i wanted before, but after trying it out, the weight of it put me off completely.
as I've no real need for it, its been strike off from my list of lens purchase.

Thinking long term bro. When you have all the money in the world, just buy Nikon, the company. ;)

Hi Omega23,

Wah holy trinity... Not gonna be cheap man..

I see u are still quite satisfied with ur current gear, just that u have some extra cash to spend.

Go for the 24-70 only if u can take the weight and if u need the constant F2.8.

But bear in mind that by upgrading to FX, you are negating ur 16-85 as it is a DX lens.
U are essentially left with 50/1.8 & 70-300.
Then u will have a need to get a FX zoom lens which will burn ur pocket and bust ur budget.

Lastly, since u're not in a rush, might as well wait for D800 to come out, continue to save and expand ur budget, by then u will have more money to spend ;)

Lastly, since u're not in a rush, might as well wait for D800 to come out, continue to save and expand ur budget, by then u will have more money to spend ;)

I think that makes sense. It is much better to upgrade to a FF with a good FF lens at the same time, esp since the D800 seems to be coming out soon.

considering the recent advancement in the APS-C sensors, I think the D800 should be a fair bit better than D700.

No hard and fast rule on lens or body first. Lens or body update depends on what u need.
A used D700 is a robust body at a budget, and the leftover can be pooled for other (necessary) purchases
for one, u will immediately feel the wideness at the 16mm end :p

Ryan

Well seems like I am going against the flow here :)

I was in exactly the same situation as TS with exactly the same setup. I went for the D700 instead becos the high ISO performance for FX is superior, I want exposure metering for manual lens & the same feel/angle of view as film cameras. Also, the build, handling, features of FX cameras are way better.

Much as I am attracted to the 24-70 f2.8 lens, I find it too costly, too heavy, the IQ is only marginally better imo. I dont make a living from photography & I dont use the lens day in day out, so I dont need the professional built. So instead, I sold the DX camera & lens & for the same cost as the 24-70, I got myself the 24mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 while retaining the excellent 70-300mm VR & even included a SB700 flash.

I am enjoying every moment with this setup as they serve my photography style & purpose, covers an extensive focal range, & allows me the choice of primes or zooms where convenience &/or IQ dictates. I can upgrade any of the lens if & when I feel the need for it later but right now taking photos & enjoying it comes first :)

Last edited:
if i am you, i will get the D700 over the 24-70.. the D700 has all the usually needed settings all in hard button format...
which makes adjusting settings so much faster and easier...
get a D700 to play around... and then u can decide from there yourself...
if u got limited lens, u will push yourself hard to land the shots you requires...
until u can get the lens you want, this is also a good practice to make do with watever you have...

Maybe if you seldom use more than 400 ISO most of the time and do not use alot of functions in DSLR. Maybe just upgrade the lenses.