Unworkable camera body

Kenji

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
alexq.multiply.com
What to do with a unworkable camera body?

It's a old Canon 20D. Only able to use for 5 mins and the battery will turn flat. Bought a new battery, charge for a day but still only can last for 5 mins.

Are you sure it's the body that's faulty?

Could it be the batteries, or the charger?

If the body is draining a fully charged battery that fast, it would be drawing a very high current (several Amps), which would mean a very hot battery and possibly the smell of burnt components!

What to do with a unworkable camera body?

It's a old Canon 20D. Only able to use for 5 mins and the battery will turn flat. Bought a new battery, charge for a day but still only can last for 5 mins.

Either as a paperweight or sell for parts :)

I'd head to the repair store and sell it as spare parts.

Are you sure it's the body that's faulty?
Could it be the batteries, or the charger?
If the body is draining a fully charged battery that fast, it would be drawing a very high current (several Amps), which would mean a very hot battery and possibly the smell of burnt components!
Very valid points. I would also suspect that the charger is at fault here, either a) it does not charge at all or b) it does not recognize the batteries.
But: Batteries from the shop will have already a base charge, usually this should be sufficient for some more shots.
It could also be something wrong at the mainboard, responsible for power supply to the camera.

Very valid points. I would also suspect that the charger is at fault here, either a) it does not charge at all or b) it does not recognize the batteries.
But: Batteries from the shop will have already a base charge, usually this should be sufficient for some more shots.
It could also be something wrong at the mainboard, responsible for power supply to the camera.

Not sure if it is good to invest on a new charger than getting a new Camera body.

Not sure if it is good to invest on a new charger than getting a new Camera body.

Throwing money to salvage a "should be replaced" product... Not wise

Convert it into an IR camera, borrow a working charger and check if it's battery fault.

Rent a battery grip and run AA batteries within, to exclude battery fault. If drain in 5 minutes it could be a power input history

But if I were to buy a new body, can anyone advise what should I do with this body? Sell? (To who I wonder)

Just post it in B&S and let buyer makes you an offer...

Just junk it don't waste your time. Shoot instead. :)

But if I were to buy a new body, can anyone advise what should I do with this body? Sell? (To who I wonder)

isn't these answers already given to you six weeks ago?
Sell for parts :)

Either as a paperweight or sell for parts :)

I'd head to the repair store and sell it as spare parts.

and if you find post in B&S is very troublesome, then is a good advice.

Just junk it don't waste your time. Shoot instead. :)