Unusable tripod and remote control

Status
Not open for further replies.

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
I like shooting kids in action. Currently have a digipro tripod bought from Safe superstore (for very cheap) and find that it is unusable. For example, is there no way to screw the DSLR to the tripod? I tried turning and turning the DSLR into the female screw hole but strangely it don't seem to secure. I am so worried that the DSLR will drop off. When I press the trigger, the DSLR will shake because it is not secure and result in blur.

Can I use remote control like this to alleviate the problem? http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/IR-Remote-Control-for-CANON-500D-T1i-450D-XSi-400D-XTi_W0QQitemZ380142061671QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Camcorder_Remotes?hash=item58823b8867&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 Also, for the first problem of not able to secure my DSLR properly, will buying a new tripod work? Thanks.

Now you know why people can spend so much money on tripods. Get a better one.

One more thing, if you are going to shoot kids in action, a tripod will be very tough since kids move around so much. A monopod may work much better. And also, ISO is your friend. and you might want to consider a good flash gun and pair it with a diffuser. It all depends on the light available when you are shooting.

Two CS links that might help you.

Guide for selecting tripod: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016
Wired / Wireless Shutter Trigger: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503185

You see that el cheapo stuffs costs more money finally, you have wasted the $ for the crap tripod. A good one can last you a long time and give all the freedom and stability that you need. Check the screw carefully, is it the correct size but just worn out? Or is the thread from tripod just too small? If it's just too small you might need the adapter which should be part of the tripod package. There are only two common thread sizes for tripods. More details here.
The IR trigger is not suitable for shooting kids. First, the camera sensor is at the front (for Canon, but I guess other brands have it there as well). That means you have to hold the IR trigger next to the lens pointing to the camera. For the exact location of the camera IR sensor please consult your camera manual. Secondly, for Canon the IR trigger only works in the setting for "Timer shooting" with a 2s delay. In terms of moving kids that's an eternity till the camera will take the picture. Follow the second link and check for wired triggers. They are a wired extension of the normal shutter button and will work without delay. I use such a setup for fireworks and candids, I can aim and shot without looking through viewfinder (using pre-focusing) but I'm as fast as using the normal shutter button and the camera is stable.

I like shooting kids in action. Currently have a digipro tripod bought from Safe superstore (for very cheap) and find that it is unusable. For example, is there no way to screw the DSLR to the tripod? I tried turning and turning the DSLR into the female screw hole but strangely it don't seem to secure. I am so worried that the DSLR will drop off. When I press the trigger, the DSLR will shake because it is not secure and result in blur.

Can I use remote control like this to alleviate the problem? Also, for the first problem of not able to secure my DSLR properly, will buying a new tripod work? Thanks.

Don't waste your time with the cheapo tripod. You seem to have invested $ in a DSLR, my advice is to get a solid platform to protect it and to give you better results. A remote trigger is still worthwhile.

You got good advice in the previous posts, which I can sum up:

1. Tripod is the wrong tool for this job.

2. If you need a tripod, get a good one.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding "I tried turning and turning the DSLR into the female screw hole" - the female screw hole is on the DSLR. I hope you have not stripped the threads on the tripod mount socket by forcing it in.

And as pointed out as well, unless you're going for motion blur, you'll still need high shutter speed. Tripod and/or IS will not stop the subject from moving, so you'll either need brighter lenses ($$$) or dial up the ISO.

Thanks a lot for the good advice. It should be male (my mistake). Thanks a lot everyone. I think I will not get a tripod since my subject is my kid. I guess it is because of my poor technique and inability to understand light.

Thanks a lot for the good advice. It should be male (my mistake). Thanks a lot everyone. I think I will not get a tripod since my subject is my kid. I guess it is because of my poor technique and inability to understand light.

if u are shooting your kids indoor, suggest is u invest in a ext flash.

if your house wall is light color paint, u can easily bounce the ext flash upwards or even backwards. dont use direct flash on kids esp baby, the light is too strong for their eyes.

tripod is good for static subjects, or subjects with predictable movement, so you can forget about using tripod to shoot kids.

shooting kids you need abundance of lights, so it will help you in getting fast focusing and higher shutter speed, even if your kids are willing hold still and pose for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.