untitled–3

rangeen

Feb 10, 2010
New Delhi, India
www.sivark.com
Hello,
After “untitled” and “untitled – 2” I’m back again, with this new post “UNTITLED – 3” ....found it good myself so am here for the expert’s n critique’s reviews....

I would like to have some feedback on the composition, colour saturation, photography techniques and post processing as well.
I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the expressions on the face of the object.

I will like feedback and some "constructive" criticism on photography techniques.
The following are the camera settings used to photograph this picture.
I chose Nikon D90 with 18-105mm with F5.6 - 1/125 - ISO-320 @ 105mm.
I will like feedback on post processing techniques (have used cs4).
I will also appreciate if the critiques may please suggest me a title for this picture.
The crop in this picture is quiet minimal.
P.s – am still new to the world of dslrs. ;p

2imax5z.jpg

Hi I am no expert but here's my personal views
the photo is not sharp enuff but composition seems gd- i like the angle photo was taken. Perhaps, give more space at the right, seems a bit cramp( think it was crop off)
The contrasts seems too high that makes the photo looks a little over processed, refer to the monkey hair (left side of the photo)

Shooting monkeys, especially in their territory is a phobia for me, never could expect what's their next move...snatching away your camera or equipment bags thinking there are foodstuff inside.
However I think you have managed to provide this guy with something to get busy on.
Of course, if you could have compose less tightly it could feels better.
The expression on this fellas face is quite interesting.
Given the condition you're in, I think you haven't got much time to waste, thereby suffers a bit on the focusing.
At least you'd got better shot than mine.

looks soft to me. color seems flat. have you tried converting it to black and white? i am guessing you must have a good reason to crop the right side so tightly. share with us your original?

i think the expression of the monkey has to go with the cake it is holding. it's got the guilty look. a title "caught left handed" with a caption like "what makes you think i stole your cake"

I think " eye " has click onto shadow and highlight for you.

Low angle is surely interesting but at the same time risky, no time to respond when that claw come for your lens in lightning speed.

If you had taken a series of monkeys pic, perhaps you can categorize them. Too many untitled in your file will becoming confusing also for us forumers here too.

the most common mistake when people shoot animals is to shoot from where they are, on up high.

that is fine sometimes.. but rarely, and most of the time that angle just doesn't work. had you shot at eye level, the tail would not be a bother, you would get a much more photogenic picture, i suspect.. and you "humanise" the animal, by being at their eye level. it may not make much sense to you, but try it and you will see what i mean.

I think " eye " has click onto shadow and highlight for you.

Low angle is surely interesting but at the same time risky, no time to respond when that claw come for your lens in lightning speed.

If you had taken a series of monkeys pic, perhaps you can categorize them. Too many untitled in your file will becoming confusing also for us forumers here too.

more than that, there is also desaturation and sharpening for sure.

anyways, if you are shooting the monkey with anything less than a 50mm, then you deserve it. an animal will be an animal.

Eye level would be better.. or as low as possible...
Perhaps something like this?

Hi,
I’d like to thank you all for the overwhelming response, comments and your efforts :)

cabbySHE: - yep you are right there’s no time to waste hence the focusing suffers a bit ;) and Too many untitled well............the reason for this is people in here start co-relating your picture to the title mentioned....wherein I feel doing so distracts the critique (as even a newbie tries to comment on the picture in this forum and takes the titles to its literal sense hence getting distracted from the actual aim) n moreover one of our members Pokémon is way too good at suggesting titles for the pictures (as per my taste).

[B]eyes[/B]:- sorry mate but I feel you’ve distorted the image (look at the hair on his chest).....the photograph should not or may not always be studio perfect n moreover this shot is not a human portrait that has to have the clear view all over... I being an artist myself would rather value the tonal value of the picture ranging from dark to light.

Pokémon:- as I mentioned in my previous posts ‘you’ are the best at titles :D now for the colour part yes I tried converting it to b/w but didn’t really pleased so here is the version to the best of my abilities although I know you could’ve done this better....and yeah you are right I’ve cropped the right side there was just a small empty box lying there which was actually disturbing so had to crop it... any ways you are most welcome to try your hands on the original picture.....

Blurry80:- can’t put my camera n other equipments to risk ......... as this were the maximum I could’ve tried with this creature. As cabbySHE mentioned you barely get any time to respond when that claw come for your lens in lightning speed which is actually very risky.

Nerdie: - the monkey you shot is way too young to attack you and moreover the position he is at he can’t get you as fast as my monster could have.

28t7xw5.jpg

I find the orange colour more stand out than the monkey. First thing that caught my attention is the food...
Perheps I am hungry. :bsmilie:

I would just comment on composition, cause the post processing can only work to a certain extend, but the picture will still not have the impact if composition was not sorted out in the beginning.

From your replies, you were not comfortable with getting close and low with the monkey (understandably so, since I agree that they can be quite unpredictable). That means even before you clicked the shutter, you have already eliminated many of the stronger composition angles.

What you could have tried would be to move to your right and include more of the box (its obvious the food wasn't natural anyway); so you have something like the box in the lower third, and the monkey's face in the upper third. In this manner, you would have also included its whole tail, which I feel is better if not cropped.

Last edited: