Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
Hi,
Wonder if you guys use USM or Smart Sharpening? Or both?? :sweat:
Can anyone tell me what's the difference? In terms of how it works, what it does and effect on end product?
Which does a better job? In what way better?
Which produces less artifacts?
Which is easier to use?

USM is good for printing purpose. That is what I noticed. I also use it to create punchier contrast to some of my images.

Smart sharpening is good for web size images. You can also control the amount of 'halo-ing' and make other precise adjustments by selecting individual channels. Makes it sharp and crispy without the nasty artifacts.

Anyone tried high-pass filter?

yes was going to mention this
Can use high pass filter also
add layer,high pass filter blending mode overlay
works well too

Interesting..never tried this before. quite new to pp-ing I guess. So just duplicate layer, high pass filter it, then set it as an overlay to the overall image, right? I hope I got it.

Yes I tend to use hard light instead of overlay but both works

using a combination of USM and smart sharpen?? is that any good... lol

I tend to use smart sharpening more often... but USM serves me well most of the time too. The difference isn't too distinct.

USM... better control over how much i want to sharpen

Hope to get some more enlightenment...

This high pass filter method, does it only applies to web images?

Can images that we want to send for print do the high pass filter too?

Thanks in advance:)

Any method works for me, as long as I have them on adjustable layers with a layer mask, so I can selective sharpen areas of the photo. :)

Hope to get some more enlightenment...

This high pass filter method, does it only applies to web images?

Can images that we want to send for print do the high pass filter too?

Thanks in advance:)

yes you can still apply a high pass filter after converting to CMYK.

U are right. When you are applying the highpass filter, you can apply a bit more, then blend it with "overlay". Then you can fine tune the amount of sharpening by adjusting the opacity of the layer. :)

Interesting..never tried this before. quite new to pp-ing I guess. So just duplicate layer, high pass filter it, then set it as an overlay to the overall image, right? I hope I got it.

Highpass filter sharpening can be fine tuned and re-adjusted anytime you like.:)

USM... better control over how much i want to sharpen

Status
Not open for further replies.