Unsecured router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClikAndGo

May 15, 2004
Dun believe it man... :eek:
I'm using 1 of my neighbour's unsecured wireless router to post this message... :)

What else can I do? ;) :D

many things, but since you've posted. it is unethical to do what you're doing now. you should in fact teach your neighbour how to secure it.

SniperD said:
seems that you are now obligated to inform your neighbour about this router thing :)
PRO comment :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SniperD said:
seems that you are now obligated to inform your neighbour about this router thing :)

Haha.. U should know HDB block... Can find who strike 4D already... Summore signal strength very low... not that near... :D

Anyone got any movie links? ;p just joking :cool:

It's against the law to use your neighbours' wireless router for internet access. Suggest you stop and inform your neighbour. Your MAC ID would have already been logged in the router's log file.

Adiemus said:
Suggest you stop and inform your neighbour. Your MAC ID would have already been logged in the router's log file.

If he doesn't know how to make it secure,then probably doesn't know abt log file..

BTW, no way to know which neighbour rite? as in address...
There are abt 4 unsecured where I live.. :)

Under Chapt 50A of the Computer Misuse Act states this:
Unauthorised use or interception of computer service
6. —(1) Subject to subsection (2), any person who knowingly —

(a) secures access without authority to any computer for the purpose of obtaining, directly or indirectly, any computer service;

(b) intercepts or causes to be intercepted without authority, directly or indirectly, any function of a computer by means of an electro-magnetic, acoustic, mechanical or other device; or

(c) uses or causes to be used, directly or indirectly, the computer or any other device for the purpose of committing an offence under paragraph (a) or (b),

shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or to both and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding $20,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.
[21/98]

(2) If any damage is caused as a result of an offence under this section, a person convicted of the offence shall be liable to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years or to both.
[21/98]

(3) For the purposes of this section, it is immaterial that the unauthorised access or interception is not directed at —

(a) any particular program or data;

(b) a program or data of any kind; or

(c) a program or data held in any particular computer.

Taken from: http://agcvldb4.agc.gov.sg/

If you are doing this, you probably dun pay for your monthly broadband usage i guess.

incubus said:
hmmm........ seems mine is unsecured too..
sorry to hijack but.
how to do i make it secure?? :dunno:

You need to use ESSID and enable the WEP.

incubus said:
hmmm........ seems mine is unsecured too..
sorry to hijack but.
how to do i make it secure?? :dunno:
RTFM! :sticktong

bonfire said:
You need to use ESSID and enable the WEP.

If yours is a wireless router, one of the main thing is to turnon the MAC filtering so as to specify the computers that can access your network. To do this, you input the MAC address of the computer in your router admin module. Computers whose MAC address is not specified will not be able to easily ride on your network.

ESSID does not stop pple from riding onto your network. If they can sniff it out, it is likely that they can break into it. Do remember to change the default password.

WEP refers to encryption. This, I think, is more appropriate if you do lots of file sharing, etc.

tkkoh said:
If yours is a wireless router, one of the main thing is to turnon the MAC filtering so as to specify the computers that can access your network. To do this, you input the MAC address of the computer in your router admin module. Computers whose MAC address is not specified will not be able to easily ride on your network.

ESSID does not stop pple from riding onto your network. If they can sniff it out, it is likely that they can break into it. Do remember to change the default password.

WEP refers to encryption. This, I think, is more appropriate if you do lots of file sharing, etc.

I do agree that input the MAC address is probably the most secure method. But i dun think most router manual teach you how to do this. :think:
If both ESSID and WEP is use, you basically have added layers of security.

In case you are not aware, the Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) algorithm is used to protect wireless communication from eavesdropping. A secondary function of WEP is to prevent unauthorized access to a wireless network.

Status
Not open for further replies.