Unriddable tiny specks of dust on lenses, ways of cleaning of lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revad3

Aug 6, 2008
Used my led torch shone at and check my lens, noticed specks of dust that i can't clean it off no matter what. or blow with a blower. They just keep appear and appear.

is this normal?

And how do you guys clean the "most fragile and expensive piece of" all photog equipment?

I have been using a 3M Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth to just wipe the surface then use a blower to blow off the dust.

Anything more i should do or must get to properly keep my lenses clean and proper?

Lenspen for dust on the outside. If it's inside.. You have to open it up and clean. Probably not the best thing to do.

Anyway, dust doesnt show up in your pictures unless it's the size of a hamster :bsmilie:

Every lens that is used will definately have dust inside... even some lenses when out of the wrappings already have some dust inside... but most of the time, these dust specks do not show up. Even when you send the lens to be cleaned internally, there is no guarantee that it would be dust free when done... so dun worry about it. When would likely hit you more often is dust on your camera's CCD or CMOS. That would show up more, esp. when shooting in small apertures (large f-number).

You should concentrate more on taking photograph, not cleaning the dust in your lens... Btw, all lens which are utilized well will have dust inside...

If the dust appears in your photo, send for cleaning to the professional.

Used my led torch shone at and check my lens, noticed specks of dust that i can't clean it off no matter what. or blow with a blower. They just keep appear and appear.

is this normal?

And how do you guys clean the "most fragile and expensive piece of" all photog equipment?

I have been using a 3M Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth to just wipe the surface then use a blower to blow off the dust.

Anything more i should do or must get to properly keep my lenses clean and proper?

dust inside lens is ok one la. don't be overly anal abt it. it won't affect ur pics.

I'm using old M42 lens (1960 and older) which has lots of old air bubbles inside, no effect on the quality of my pictures at all.

is this normal?

Don't ever ever ever shine a torch into the lens.... I expected that when I saw the thread title!! You will just break your heart.. these specks of dust will always be there and you will never be able to clean them out, and even if you did, they will always come back!! But the best thing is.. IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE PICTURE.

So just ignore them. You should only clean your lens when it's soiled. If it's larger particles of dust, just blow them off. It's better to have invisible dust than risk scratching the coating on the lens because of aggressive cleaning.

WTD57.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys, pretty much enlightened.

I know lens pen and blower are the best way to clean ur lens but something there a need to use something to wipe when u have had fingerprint marks/smudges on them etc. Will wiping timely destroy the lens coatings in time?

I know lens pen and blower are the best way to clean ur lens but something there a need to use something to wipe when u have had fingerprint marks/smudges on them etc. Will wiping timely destroy the lens coatings in time?

They should not if you use a proper lens tissue with lens cleaning solution. However, it is important to blow first in case there are dirt particles which may scratch the lens when pressure is applied with the tissue, so it is also important to use as little pressure as possible.

Hi,

Use blower to blow off the dust or use the lens brush to brush off the dust gently before you use the lens pen. Lens pen is very good for removing those fingerprint marks and smudges, but always got the possibility of scratching the lens or coating if the dust is too big and hard. But don't worry, those scratches are usually so small that you can't see it and usually had no effect on the image quality... if the "dust" is too big, that's another story.

Anyway, if you worry about your lens, use a UV filter on it lor... :) Any sh*t happen, it's happen on the UV filter which is usually cheaper than the lens.

Have a nice day.

Use lens pen on the marks/smudges. Very effective. One wipe does it for me. Less chance of damage den rubbing ur lens..

is this normal?

Whatever dots you see be it inside or outside, as long as it doesn't get into your shots, it doesn't matter.

Dust are fine as long as they do not affect your photos, scratches caused by overzealous cleaning are another issue altogether.

if i use my breath blow on the lens part (part which face sensor) and use lens microfibre cloth to wipe till dry, is it ok?

i did that few times to rid some factory stains, just worried the coating or lens gets scratched. though my eyes did not see any scratches.

if i use my breath blow on the lens part (part which face sensor) and use lens microfibre cloth to wipe till dry, is it ok?

i did that few times to rid some factory stains, just worried the coating or lens gets scratched. though my eyes did not see any scratches.

you must be crazy...just use a blower will do.
hopefully you don't create any condensation in your lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.