Unrealistic prices for Nikon BnS

Drtamon

Feb 25, 2010
AMK
I have recently bought my D90 kit and had been tracking the BnS Nikon section to look for some used lens n equipment.

My personally feel that most of the postings are asking for kind of unrealistic prices for used items without warranty. A new Nikkor 50mm F1.8 cost around $195 and you can find many postings selling used copies at $170 without warranty. :bigeyes:

Maybe I am wrong to expect lower prices, if so please educate me.

P.S. I understand the rationale that sellers do not force buyers to buy at their price but my point is that with so many 'high' priced used equipment, new sellers often are led to believe that the market is 'that' good.

some people can travel all over SG to look for bargain stuffs just to save a few bucks. maybe to them this is a great deal not to be miss.

If you study ecomonics you will be familar with the term 'Demand & Supply' and 'market forces', 'willing buyer willing seller' cos that's how the world moves everyday:bsmilie:

If you study ecomonics you will be familar with the term 'Demand & Supply' and 'market forces', 'willing buyer willing seller' cos that's how the world moves everyday:bsmilie:
singaporeans are just too cash-rich:bsmilie:

I have recently bought my D90 kit and had been tracking the BnS Nikon section to look for some used lens n equipment.

My personally feel that most of the postings are asking for kind of unrealistic prices for used items without warranty. A new Nikkor 50mm F1.8 cost around $195 and you can find many postings selling used copies at $170 without warranty. :bigeyes:

P.S. I understand the rationale that sellers do not force buyers to buy at their price but my point is that with so many 'high' priced used equipment, new sellers often are led to believe that the market is 'that' good.
I do share your sentiments. Sometimes for that $20 more, I would rather go for something brand new with warranty for that ease of mind and save the trouble of if it gets broken in the near future. :think:

Every seller wouldn't want to lose that much $$$ on their used item.

It's up to the buyers to decide themselves.

maybe the 2nd hand lens comes with UV filters which total savings will be around $50-60??

singaporeans are just too cash-rich:bsmilie:
Yeah, cash is like the blood for the economy. Without the cashflow (blood flowing) all businesses (bodies) die, including camera manufacturers & shops:bigeyes: When there is a healthy flow of cash around the economy is booming so BBB;)

Well, if the sellers can really sell at those prices, then I guess there's a demand... Oh well..

When's demand exceed supply, prices will soar.. even for used. Basics of economics :)
Thats why....

In general, used Nikon is about 10-20 lower than new price. It will be more obvious for more expensive lenses. your example of the 50mm is not a good choice though...

Singapore seems to be getting more for used camera gears, the price at ebay is much lower.

here we go again... it actually doesn't just apply to nikon... all BnS section is about the same...

Well if their quote are unrealistic ... then noone will buy from them as simple as that ....
just wait abit.. there will be ppl who sell them at lower price...
seen 50mm 1.8 going for 130 before...

seen canon 50 1.8 going brand new at 110... that is when canon give free 50mm 1.8 for every 500d kit purchase .....

Demand and Supply

point taken...

I bought a few lenses and sold one off clubsnap nikon BnS

Am satisfied with the experience so far. Almost all my lenses are 2nd hand. And all of them are used commercially by me.

I'm not a fussy buyer, but I do dislike selling my lens to equipment collectors. Prefer to meetup with ppl who are truly passionate abt photography rather than the equipment.

funny thing is that, despite they post high prices... few days later u will see "SOLD" and claim to sell at the initial advertise price

I posted this before as i believe ppl with clones username posting inflated prices, claiming to sell at those prices and than they will advertise again hoping ppl will pay up.

...I'm not a fussy buyer, but I do dislike selling my lens to equipment collectors. Prefer to meetup with ppl who are truly passionate abt photography rather than the equipment.

Hmm...:think: a bit strange but do you really care that much since the $ is already in your pocket? I'm a bit of a collector too but I do use them whenever I can:bsmilie:

funny thing is that, despite they post high prices... few days later u will see "SOLD" and claim to sell at the initial advertise price

I posted this before as i believe ppl with clones username posting inflated prices, claiming to sell at those prices and than they will advertise again hoping ppl will pay up.

I second your comments. I believe in market driven economy as well. But sometimes you cannot help but wonder if there is a 'false' market being created by some minority.

There are definitely true sellers who are offering good prices and normally their items will be snap up fast. :thumbsup: I have nothing against those who want to sell their good condition items at a price they are comfortable with; its just that you will see many repeated postings over & over again.:)

That is the asking price. SMS the seller with the price you want to pay.