Unrealistic buyers and sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Passey

Jun 17, 2013
I've sold a few things on Clubsnap over the last year but tell me, is it a Singapore thing that expectations are stupid to the point of greed? For every item I sell I get about 10 people coming in with idiotic offers before someone sensible and knowledgeable comes along. They seem to have nothing to do with their time but waste it for themselves and sellers. And I see sellers listing 'as new' for almost the same as shop price and then wondering why people aren't stupid enough to buy. For the prices usually asked for recent equipment you can pay to go for a weekend in Hong Kong, pick up your new gear and still make a substantial saving over what some of these jokers ask.

Just saying! It would be a whole lot less hassle if people were someway reasonable.

Not sure why the marketplace doesn't allow replies, but if it did I'm sure some of these people would think twice on pain of being ridiculed.

I've sold a few things on Clubsnap over the last year but tell me, is it a Singapore thing that expectations are stupid to the point of greed? For every item I sell I get about 10 people coming in with idiotic offers before someone sensible and knowledgeable comes along. They seem to have nothing to do with their time but waste it for themselves and sellers. And I see sellers listing 'as new' for almost the same as shop price and then wondering why people aren't stupid enough to buy. For the prices usually asked for recent equipment you can pay to go for a weekend in Hong Kong, pick up your new gear and still make a substantial saving over what some of these jokers ask.

Just saying! It would be a whole lot less hassle if people were someway reasonable.

Not sure why the marketplace doesn't allow replies, but if it did I'm sure some of these people would think twice on pain of being ridiculed.

Why the complain?

It's free market. Buyers and sellers can buy and sell at their own pricing.

Is there a standard pricing chart to follow? No right?

If buyer want to pay at the price of seller, who's stopping the transaction?

There are many reasons why a buyer is willing to pay for a 2nd hand item that has close price as a new one in the shop.

Location, convenience, timing, urgency, no stock, travel time. All these play a part in the buyer's decision making process.

I ever sold a cam bag that I used for 2 years, for $10 less than a brand new one in the shop. And a buyer actually bought it. Did I cheat? No. Did I lie? No.

I declare everything about my bag.

So who is to say that the transaction was unreasonable?

it's a free market .
feel free to list at exorbitant prices
feel free to ignore lowballers

feel free to ignore me too
I'm just a little cat after all

because too many people like to complain this complain that, eng eng noting better to do, go and crush people threads, that is why the reply button is removed.

In a perfect market this should not happen. But not every seller knows the lowest street price or overseas selling price. Some may just follow what others have listed.

is it a Singapore thing that expectations are stupid to the point of greed?

Did you sell your stuff in other markets (all of them actually) to state the statement in bold? nothing against you, just wondering.

For every item I sell I get about 10 people coming in with idiotic offers before someone sensible and knowledgeable comes along. They seem to have nothing to do with their time but waste it for themselves and sellers.

Everyone out there wanted to get their stuff cheaper and better, although all of us know that cheaper doesn't necessary meant better, but if you can get it cheaper (why not?) Obviously there are lowballers everywhere, if not... people from other nations will not understand what lowball means... and I have friends from Australia, US, Japan, China, Malaysia... everywhere and once you tell them lowball, they know, so obviously lowballers are everywhere and not uniquely Singapore.

And I see sellers listing 'as new' for almost the same as shop price and then wondering why people aren't stupid enough to buy.

Sellers everywhere (unlike) buyers try to sell their product at a higher price so as to get more out of the sales... this happen everywhere too. And I even see seller in some other forum selling second hand product that cost more than what you can get for first hand product in the country of the sales. You can even see that in ebay. And unless you are the seller, how do you know what they are thinking and wondering?

For the prices usually asked for recent equipment you can pay to go for a weekend in Hong Kong, pick up your new gear and still make a substantial saving over what some of these jokers ask.

Of course you can get cheaper products in Hongkong... for a weekend... just don't forget to factor in the following - if I wanted the product urgently, can I wait till I go hongkong and buy? Airfare is not cheap... unless there are promotion. Also, don't forget to factor in the cost of hotel - unlike youngsters or strong individual like yourself, I need to sleep, so I need to find a place to stay in Hongkong and it is not cheap too. All these in... do the thing I wanted to buy still cost lesser than those I can get in Singapore?

It would be a whole lot less hassle if people were someway reasonable.

of course it would be whole lot less hassle if people are more reasonable, but... people are not reasonable... and that is the fun of being in sales.

Yes it's a free market, but if you have half a brain you kind of know the territory. I am talking about transactions on Clubsnap. Buyers/sellers are in the know on acceptable ranges. I always found a buyer at or around the price I advertised if I gave it 2 or 3 days so my judgment is ok. I was just wondering why so many timewasters. You don't realistically go in at half the advertised rate and expect the offer to be accepted. If you proceed to not raise your offer you are clearly a timewaster as you were never serious to begin with. I just raised the general point as it is not like this in other markets.

Yes it's a free market, but if you have half a brain you kind of know the territory. I am talking about transactions on Clubsnap. Buyers/sellers are in the know on acceptable ranges. I always found a buyer at or around the price I advertised if I gave it 2 or 3 days so my judgment is ok. I was just wondering why so many timewasters. You don't realistically go in at half the advertised rate and expect the offer to be accepted. If you proceed to not raise your offer you are clearly a timewaster as you were never serious to begin with. I just raised the general point as it is not like this in other markets.

hey tim, this is the Singapore spirit for most singaporeans.

We like it in almost new condition but at the same time only want to pay for maybe half the price.

If you are not in a hurry, just hold it.

I ever have ridiculous buyer too. but few days still meet my selling price. i discount slightly for him, both parties happy

Before buy and sell it will be nice to find out the market price on New (authorized dealer price and Grey set) and 2nd hand market (outside of ClubSNAP). For surveying the 2nd hand camera market one of the location is the Peninsula Plaza, can check with the dealer regarding their buy in price and selling price base on the condition of the camera. Do your home work before you buy/sell.

There are many lowballers because some of them are just trying their luck, and some are traders trying their luck.

Sellers list high because they know lowballers are out there and will try to bargain. so they buffer their sale price.

In the end, this is asia, where you are expected to bargain. If it doesn't work out, don't buy.

There are also sellers who ask for more than reasonable prices, and I have seen quite a number of them, myself included. But for me, I know my price is good and I will be very firm and not move for any negotiation. I still get my fair share of lowballers trying their luck, but just ignore them. If your price is good, you will sell it fast regardless of how many lowballers contact you.

As for sellers selling high, that is their perogative. If they want to hold out for a high price, so be it. Why do we care?

BTW I used to live in USA, it is the same for Craigslist.

Last edited:

Oh... So it is not a Singapore thing... but more of a clubsnap thing. Maybe it is the spirit in Clubsnap then ;).

Well, yes... I think most of them (lowballers)have half a brain, in fact they had whole brain too (although you might find it difficult to believe). they try their luck, who know, some seller might be desperate enough to sell it to them... most of the time it don't work, but you never know and there is no harm trying.

Normally, you can ask them to give you a quote on how much they are willing to pay first before meeting up with them. If they try to lowball, just ignore them (unless you are desperate)... no need to get so work up.

And since you point out that it is not like this in other markets, so I would presume you had done sales in other market. Which is strange... because I sell my stuff in some of the other places and there are people who try to lowball me too, I did a sale in Australia before, clearly stating that my old desk is selling at a cheap AU$25, an angmo approached me and want to buy the stuff for AU$5 and demand I add in a table lamp too... So... my experience is kind of different from yours because I find that lowballers are everywhere... not just in Clubsnap or Singapore.

Last edited:
On the other hand, you also get people here who lowball themselves when they sell a certain thing, resulting in everyone else who intend to sell the same thing in future to peg the item's price similar to the lowballed price the first seller listed, permanently affecting the 2nd hand price for the item.

I guess if you hang around forums much, it's normal to encounter such behavior.

On the other hand, you also get people here who lowball themselves when they sell a certain thing, resulting in everyone else who intend to sell the same thing in future to peg the item's price similar to the lowballed price the first seller listed, permanently affecting the 2nd hand price for the item.

I do that.

My point is serious buyers will buy. Like many of u I've met my fair share of lowballers. Just move on, that's life ; they're trying their luck only.

In general some will price slightly higher so there's room to nego for a both sides happier situation. I've many times discounted my items because the buyer was willing to make the effort to come to my place.

I price my stuff generally at the low end as I wana cut to the chase and have generally faced sincere nice people but there's so many diff types of people here.

Praise the good, ignore the screwed up and make more worthy friends.

What I can't stand are those who meet u up after nego price and process to lowball u on the spot or misrepresent their items. To me these are non negotiable signs of low integrity.

BnS's to me still a great place to deal :) it's all about making the efforts to learn the culture here.

Reactions: Shizuma

Well, if you think about it, if there are so many "lowballers" out there, some of them would be persistent "lowballers".

And I would give them some credit - because I'm pretty sure somewhere out there, there are people giving in to the lowballing tactics and lowering their prices. If it isn't working, I don't believe that there would be so many people willing to expand the effort to continue lowballing.. :)

Lowballers are everywhere. Property hunters, car hunters, people scouring flea markets etc

I don't see it as a CS or SG specific phenomena.

Lowballers are everywhere. Property hunters, car hunters, people scouring flea markets etc

I don't see it as a CS or SG specific phenomena.

Yes. That is so true. I am always surprise at the generalization done by people just because they had some bad experience in a certain place... means that place is generally bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.