Unofficial Feb Macro Outing

detritus

Sep 12, 2009
shootingbugs.blogspot.com
Hi all,

We haven't shot macro for the monthly outings for quite awhile so I'm thinking of having a small macro gathering this month in addition to the monthly outings.

The intention is to gather up all those who like to shoot macro / want to try macro for an early morning shoot on a nice saturday.

All those who bought the wonderful DFA100mm WR and never really got a chance to test it in the field, please come :)

Date: 12 Feb (Saturday) [does not clash with Feb monthly outing]

Time: Breakfast at Mac's 7am, start by 7:30, 8:00

Place: AMK Park
http://maps.google.com.sg/maps/ms?i...405,0.055189&z=14&iwloc=00049b40a3aa969ff3730

Meeting place: Mcdonalds
http://maps.google.com.sg/maps/ms?i....374168,103.845241&spn=0.003969,0.006899&z=17

Arrangements are flexible. There'll be no attendance taking or anything :bsmilie: those who wanna have an early start, just indicate your preference and meet at Macs.

those who prefer to skip breakfast, just give me a call when u're there and catch up with us at the park itself :)

For ease of admin, we'll keep the numbers to 15.

More experienced macro shooters, please support and share your knowledge with the newbies :)

===========================

Meeting at Macs
1) Detritus (Donald - 97670601)

2) OTC

3) Oceanpriest

4) Supersimon27

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Joining Later

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

Last edited:
I am newbie To macro . Pls teach me more :)

1st attempt trying macro ...... (with k5 :p)

I am newbie To macro . Pls teach me more :)

1st attempt trying macro ...... (with k5 :p)

:bsmilie: excellent then... now u have a full WR macro package - K5+100WR

on a separate note - the unofficial outing does not clash with the monthly pentax outing, which, according to Bro FW, will be scheduled later in the month. Exact date to be announced later :)

so not to worry. can attend both ;)

===========================

Meeting at Macs

2) OTC

3) Oceanpriest

4) Supersimon27

5) cyk13

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Joining Later

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

Meeting at Macs

2) OTC

3) Oceanpriest

4) Supersimon27

5) cyk13

6) Pentriot

7)

8)

9)

10)

Joining Later

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

Meeting at Macs

2) OTC

3) Oceanpriest

4) Supersimon27

5) cyk13

6) Pentriot

7)

8)

9)

10)

Joining Later

11) pentax

12)

13)

14)

15)

Too Bad cant join. How come less ppl joining macro?

alas would like to learn from the experienced macro shooters, but no Macro lens to shoot with So have to differ 'til I have one. :embrass:

Thanks Dnoald for the headsup. I'm sure it'd be a good one.

I wish I could join too, but I probably need to send my relatives to the Airport on the day :(

Thanks Dnoald for the headsup. I'm sure it'd be a good one.

I wish I could join too, but I probably need to send my relatives to the Airport on the day :(

no problem :) we'll try to make this a regular thing. got next time ;)

with you, we'll have morning macro + afternoon beer :bsmilie:

alas would like to learn from the experienced macro shooters, but no Macro lens to shoot with So have to differ 'til I have one. :embrass:

the 18-55 kit lens is not bad actually :) u can get a set of raynox and use it with the 18-55. its cheaper than a macro lens and u can use it together with a macro lens later anyway.

or if u have a lens with an aperture ring (e.g. M, A or FA 50mm), i can lend u a set of extension tubes.

the 18-55 kit lens is not bad actually :) u can get a set of raynox and use it with the 18-55. its cheaper than a macro lens and u can use it together with a macro lens later anyway.

or if u have a lens with an aperture ring (e.g. M, A or FA 50mm), i can lend u a set of extension tubes.

Thanks for the offer. Will be in touch if I can make it. I recently acquired a F50 f1.7 which has an aperture ring. Quite curious about the Raynox which I've been seen mentioned about here & there.

Thanks for the offer. Will be in touch if I can make it. I recently acquired a F50 f1.7 which has an aperture ring. Quite curious about the Raynox which I've been seen mentioned about here & there.

the raynox is basically a high-quality close-up filter. its very popular among macro shooters, both as an affordable way to shoot macro without a dedicated macro lens, and a way to increase magnification beyond 1:1 by pairing with a macro lens.

u know my number :) feel free to drop by.

Meeting at Macs

2) OTC

3) Oceanpriest

4) Supersimon27

5) cyk13

6) Pentriot

7) Moonlightsg (Pending for "Leave Approval")

8)

9)

10)

Joining Later

11) pentax

12)

13)

14)

15)

I guess can't join, don't have any macro lens yet :cry:
So far only have kit lens.

i've corresponded with a few bros on the issue of macro lenses and equipment needed for a macro shoot.

Just to clarify, we're shooting for fun :bsmilie: we're not aiming to get published in next month's Nat Geo. so its really ok if you have no dedicated macro lens.

An F.O.C option you can consider is the DAL 18-55 kit lens. it is capable of max magnification of 0.34x at 25cm, which is pretty close and pretty good for a non-macro lens (older macro lenses can only achieve 0.5x magnification). u can easily photograph dragonflies and other larger subjects with the kit lens and achieve very good results by cropping.

if u really feel like spending money, you can consider a set of raynox 150 / 250. they're not too expensive and there's a ready resale market if you want to sell it off in future. its cheaper than buying a macro lens.

So feel free to join in :)

Things to Bring for the Outing:
- Dress comfortably. Long sleeves helps if u're afraid of mosquitoes. Wear covered shoes.
- Mosquito repellent
- Camera
- 18-55 kit lens or macro lens
- Flash + Diffuser + spare batteries

a simple DIY diffuser can be made using a paper plate - just cut a hole close to the edge, and put your lens through it ;)

Optional:
- Tripod / Monopod
- Teleconverters are great for magnification

Donald, thank you for organising this trip. Sorry cant make it because i need to run some errand on that morning. will be travelling in the coming back so cant postpone.

Donald, thank you for organising this trip. Sorry cant make it because i need to run some errand on that morning. will be travelling in the coming back so cant postpone.

ok... we'll take and post more pix for you to see then :)

Just to add, you can have a reverse ring and mount any wide angle lens and you will have more than 1X magnification. Alternatively, have an extension tube and place a 28mm or 50 mm lens and there it goes, a macro shots with a low cost set-up:)

marcus