University Help!! - Degree Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheye

May 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
www.massrapid.org
Hi all,

I'll be heading down under in July for a university degree, so far I've narrowed my course choices to RMIT University (B.comm in Media) and the University of Queensland (BA in English). I know these are two degrees are pretty far apart on a spectrum, but RMIT offers me 1.5 years for the degree (but it's something i've already done in Poly), To take a BA is perhaps something i'm more keen on, but there are considerations like I'd take 2 years to complete the course, the fees are higher and I don't know much about Queensland.

I'm seeking some advice from you wonderful people, if you have been to Melb / Queensland, do how is it living there? Or have you graduated from these Unis and can tell me more about it? How much 'value' are these 2 bachelors when i'm out in the real world?

Thanks in advance ;)

is there a reason why your font is so small ?

I think one of your base considerations should be which career path you are wanting to take. Once you decide that, then your choice of uni's and courses may be easier. My 2cents: Try to do something you would enjoy and would like to have a career in.

That said, here's my take on the 2 cities.

Brisbane is a very nice and laidback city. Lots of sunshine with relatively mild winters. I've been there for 6 years, and I've enjoyed my time there. Most locals consider Bne to be still a "small town" altho its getting more crowded and busier the last few years. Love the vast spaces and beaches there (gold coast, sunshine coast etc).

Melb is quite a different city. Has a more upmarket and "big-city" feel. Haven't stayed there for significant periods but I had the opportunity to visit melb several times. Winter there is really cold. Many choices of good and relatively cheap asian food there.

That's my take in a nut shell. Good luck! :)

Thanks Hobbesyeo. You make Brisbane sound really beautiful!

Tr|n|ty, I was actually trying to make the font bigger, but i think i coded it wrongly, sorry lah, have to squint a bit

Melbourne is great...studied there for 6 yrs plus worked there for a year... did a double degree in Arts which i majored in film and photography as well as a degree in Management. It was a great experience. Great weather, great people, and most of all gret fun....:) :) :)

fisheye said:
Thanks Hobbesyeo. You make Brisbane sound really beautiful!

Tr|n|ty, I was actually trying to make the font bigger, but i think i coded it wrongly, sorry lah, have to squint a bit

in between trying to read your post i visited your photoblog .. you've got a good eye .. some nice stuff you got there.

samrex said:
Melbourne is great...studied there for 6 yrs plus worked there for a year... did a double degree in Arts which i majored in film and photography as well as a degree in Management. It was a great experience. Great weather, great people, and most of all gret fun....:) :) :)

Well, Melbourne has unpredictable weather... I wouldn't call it great...
But I would say that the GOR and philip island are great for attractions though.

Weather wise, I prefer Sydney. Landscape wise, W.A. is the best.
What do you think?

Apart from the landcsape in W.A, it's apparently much slower in pace and less vibrant? And the University of Murdoch that's accepted me won't be much much credit exemptions. :)

I've heard bout the unpredictable weather in Melbourne! My friend's who're there say that you get 4 seasons in a day! hmmmmm. Noticed quite a few pple posting threads of their pictures they shot in Melb. Looks like a pretty diverse place.

maybe the city shouldn't matter as much as the university and the course u want to or should take, but nevertheless yes as some have mentioned, melbourne's weather is atrocious, and brisbane is much more mild.

cost of living would be slightly higher in melb, i know that petrol is more ex there than brisbane, for example. other things like rent and transport should also be slighty higher. stuff like food should be the same tho, esp at supermarkets.

i spent 10 years in brisbane, 5 at UQ. i whack myself silly each time i think of the place that i didn't have that keen an interest in photography then, such a beautiful place. yes, the university itself is lovely, plenty of space on that "st lucia peninsula" if u can even call it that!

melbourne has alot of character. it's not that cosmopolitan as sydney, actually if u think singapore is a "city" then sydney would put it to shame. melb on the other hand isn't "skyscraper-ful", and of course the tram lines keep the city looking kinda nostalgic together with all the old buildings. and melb does get very cold, for me anyway, i prefer the mildness of brisbane.

can't wait to go for a holiday to brisbane again in july/aug this year. i'll be in melbourne and sydney too. :) i can bring u around brisbane if you're there, i think i know the roads there better than in sg still. i'm kinda lost in sg even tho i been back quite long. :bsmilie:

Melbourne is a really conducive place to study. The unpredictable weather is true but its not difficult to live with. In fact, that's what gives Melbourne a unique character. Rain, shine, cold, wet....... you get all kinds of photo opportunities in a single day. Now beat that!!

I think you should study whatever that interests you and not base your decision on the city that you will be living in or future career choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.