United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
I'm sure you guys already saw the minor hoo-ha in the Sunday Times.

Anyone knows the age of the UWC participants? I found it VERY VERY suspicious that the papers only put all the ages of the RI and HC students.. But then hor, the UWC students got no age one. :nono:

they look much older. :think:

And they dress much older too.

But then again, the HC people dress quite funnily. I don't remember dressing like that when I was that age.. =D

I think it's a null issue. Firstly, the competition was obviously in a different format than usual. And secondly, I would think it's only fair to say that age is a factor. Especially for teenagers. If anything hor, let's say 1 year more means 1 year more of argument and rebellion leh. Definitely very powerful factor for a debating competition. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Kids from UWC usually look older than they should isn't it? Remember having a conversation with this gal from the states when I was at work. Thought she's around my age, but later discover she's much younger.

I already knew Singapore would lose beforehand. The reason is Singapore debated from intensive research, while UWC debated from what they think, see, and hear everyday, in a world view. Singapore teams can't handle things that are out of what they have prepared.

sometimes I wonder whether singapore "top students" are really top students? :think: :bsmilie:

It's a competition. With any competition, there will be winners and loosers. Winning is good, but knowing how to take defeat with grace, something too many people on this island lacks, is just as important.

Leejay got it right. In debating competitions, research is important, but not the key. It's how you convince others, not how much you know, that will bring the trophy home. In another words, creativity will generally carry the day.

How many interesting locally produced English language shows do you know? :think:

somehow, VR man always come to my mind.....:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

LOL! Something that James Lye would probably hope that everyone would sooner forget about i'd bet.

I think Asians (maybe with the exception of the Indians) are not that articulate in the first place especially within the English medium of communication. We may know a lot but would have difficulty expressing it especially in a rapid fire, rebuttal kind of debate. I have worked in several Asian countries and have found Indians to be quite expressive and articulate, followed by Singaporeans in the English medium. However we still can't beat the Ang Mohs in general although there were a couple of stiff Ang Mohs I came across who had difficulty speaking.

Maybe if the debate was held in Mandarin, we stand a better chance. Better yet, hold it in Hokkien, put some Ah Bengs on the team, make it RA (for language) that way sure win-lah.

i think all the singaporean schools will learn from this experience and come back much stronger next year.

IMHO in this inaugural season of "the arena". UWC consistently put forward a more cohesive argument in their debates, coupled with a more polished delivery and better use of real world examples to support their position.

however, it would not be true to say that local singaporean students from singapore schools are not capable of this kind of performance. i remember the old televised school debates (chaired by max le blond IIRC) in which there were really impressive performances both in style and substance (as well as humour) from star debaters like toh han chong, alec tok, vivian balakrishnan et al.

:cool:

I think Asians (maybe with the exception of the Indians) are not that articulate in the first place especially within the English medium of communication. We may know a lot but would have difficulty expressing it especially in a rapid fire, rebuttal kind of debate. I have worked in several Asian countries and have found Indians to be quite expressive and articulate, followed by Singaporeans in the English medium. However we still can't beat the Ang Mohs in general although there were a couple of stiff Ang Mohs I came across who had difficulty speaking.

Maybe if the debate was held in Mandarin, we stand a better chance. Better yet, hold it in Hokkien, put some Ah Bengs on the team, make it RA (for language) that way sure win-lah.
If the debate was in Mandarin, we'll lost to the China or Taiwan team, if its in Hokkien, we'll lose to the Taiwan Ah Beng as well. If in Singlish......... hmmmm ;p

Ha ha, the couple of episodes that I managed to catch made me feel like I'm watching robots debating. Some of the kids seems to be concentrating more on speaking fluently then trying to put their point across. Some seems to beat around the bush just to deliver 1 simple point. Some seems to love to use bombastic words to colour their sentences.

Overall I feel that the standard have dropped when compared to the old debate show. I stopped watching after 2 episodes.

It's a competition. With any competition, there will be winners and loosers. Winning is good, but knowing how to take defeat with grace, something too many people on this island lacks, is just as important.

Leejay got it right. In debating competitions, research is important, but not the key. It's how you convince others, not how much you know, that will bring the trophy home. In another words, creativity will generally carry the day.
:thumbsup: apparently, we can't take defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.