Uniquely Singaporean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Hi! witness an incident which i think is quite typically Singapore! (i think)

As i was having lunch in one of the hawker centre, i saw a guy in his early 50s carry a tray of food went over to this table which is diagonally 2 table behind me there is a girl sitting on one of the seat facing out meaning away from table, so the guy put his tray down!

The girl get up immediately approach a women coming towards her direction. The women ask her why she stand up she tell her the man was there!

As the guy was sitting down the women suddenly shouted:" WHERE IS YOUR MANNERS? DON'T U KNOW HOW TO ASK ANY HOW TAKE PEOPLES SEAT? WHY U SO RUDE!"

The guy reply:"This is a public place why cant i sit here? there is no one siting here what!"

Lady:"Where got no one cant u see my maid is here!" n shouted " OLD MAN NO MANNERS! OLD MAN DON'T HAVE MANNERS!"

Guy: "she was facing away from the table what!"

Lady: "You should have the basic courtesy to ask! U don't know how to ask is it! OLD MAN NO MANNERS! U B----- OLD MAN NO MANNERS!!!"Lady walks away!

The guy said (in softer tone as they were shouting previously):"dont u know this is a public place this is a public place!"

:confused:

Anyone have anything can contribute which is Uniquely Singapore! Can share n post here!;p

As i was having lunch in one of the hawker centre, i saw a guy in his early 50s carry a tray of food went over to this table which is diagonally 2 table behind me there is a girl sitting on one of the seat facing out meaning away from table, so the guy put his tray down!

The girl get up immediately approach a women coming towards her direction. The women ask her why she stand up she tell her the man was there!

As the guy was sitting down the women suddenly shouted:" WHERE IS YOUR MANNERS? DON'T U KNOW HOW TO ASK ANY HOW TAKE PEOPLES SEAT? WHY U SO RUDE!"

The guy reply:"This is a public place why cant i sit here? there is no one siting here what!"

Lady:"Where got no one cant u see my maid is here!" n shouted " OLD MAN NO MANNERS! OLD MAN DON'T HAVE MANNERS!"

Lady: "You should have the basic courtesy to ask! U don't know how to ask is it! OLD MAN NO MANNERS! U B----- OLD MAN NO MANNERS!!!"Lady walks away!

The guy said (in softer tone as they were shouting previously):"dont u know this is a public place this is a public place!"

Anyone have anything can contribute which is Uniquely Singapore! Can share n post here!;p

kinda remind me the other day at Macs, everybody changed lane, and i saw this empty lane, so thought next one was me, HAPPY!!!... then guess wat...

she is still in the midst of the ordering, and i heard this... ***burger dun wan onion, blah blah, wan more lettuce, etc... wah 1 burger nia so niao... then subsequently order other stuff...

then while waiting for my order, she was FINALLY paying... then order have some **.85cents, then the poor cashier already keyed in 50, so the amount reflected deducted accurately... then the guy was going to give her the change, the girl have 15 cents, then the guy said its calculated, cos he have to recount again... the lady told him... I INSIST IN PAYING THE 15 cents... wah... poor dude...

what a rude lady....... people already in 50s liao still dunno how to give way...... basket....

kinda remind me the other day at Macs, everybody changed lane, and i saw this empty lane, so thought next one was me, HAPPY!!!... then guess wat...

she is still in the midst of the ordering, and i heard this... ***burger dun wan onion, blah blah, wan more lettuce, etc... wah 1 burger nia so niao... then subsequently order other stuff...

then while waiting for my order, she was FINALLY paying... then order have some **.85cents, then the poor cashier already keyed in 50, so the amount reflected deducted accurately... then the guy was going to give her the change, the girl have 15 cents, then the guy said its calculated, cos he have to recount again... the lady told him... I INSIST IN PAYING THE 15 cents... wah... poor dude...
U got ever hear ppl order 20 Tsukune Burgers at 1 go (not advance order! Its over-the-counter order!!!) or "MOS Burger, dun want the sauce, dun want the patty."

Yes. Last time kena before.

The biggest nightmare was this, when I was working part-time after my studies at MOS Burger:
Customer: Can I have an advanced order for tomorrow? I pay first lah. Tomorrow come & collect.
Me: Sure, no problem.
Cust: I want 20 Tsukune Rice Burgers, 20 MOS burgers, 20 corn soup, 20 milk shakes, 20 fries, 20 Ice Tea & Peach Tea,*yadda-yadda-yadda*

Cos MOS Burger's policy is to serve fresh, so when that guy came to collect his stuff at abt 9+am, busy like siao man. :bsmilie:

But anyway, if the lady wants to give 15cents, den the guy simply put in the 15cents extra and den return back the exact change loh. The overall sum tally can liaoz.

There is this uniquely Singaporean thing about "booking" your public dinner table.

One day I was carrying my food tray, and saw an "empty" table. Not exactly empty but there was a bottle of half drank mineral water. So I push aside the bottle and ate my dinner.

A few minutes later, a young couple came to my table with their food tray and ask me "you cannot see that this table is taken is it. I purposely 'cheoped' this table with the bottle you dare sit on this table? " So i told them off by saying, "you may sit here with me if you wish but if you don't want to, please take your mineral water along". The stupid couple just took the water bottle and sit somewhere. :angry:

There is this uniquely Singaporean thing about "booking" your public dinner table.

One day I was carrying my food tray, and saw an "empty" table. Not exactly empty but there was a bottle of half drank mineral water. So I push aside the bottle and ate my dinner.

A few minutes later, a young couple came to my table with their food tray and ask me "you cannot see that this table is taken is it. I purposely 'cheoped' this table with the bottle you dare sit on this table? " So i told them off by saying, "you may sit here with me if you wish but if you don't want to, please take your mineral water along". The stupid couple just took the water bottle and sit somewhere. :angry:

It's as pathetic when I see ppl 'chop-ping' tables with packets of tissues :bsmilie:

LOL... :bsmilie:

I think all over the world we do have such incidents... It's just that we happen to encounter it everyday and it felt like it only happen in S'pore...

I was in Thailand for a trip and I went into a jap restuarant with a friend... The waitress brought us to the remaining table... We were halfway through our meal when a couple walked over and sat at our table coz there are no other table liao... It was a real uncomfortable experience, eating with strangers staring at every spoonful of food you put into your mouth... :sweat:

They dare u? Den reply in kind, "Make me."

They dare u? Den reply in kind, "Make me."

Hmmm... That's when all the unpleasantness starts... One thing leads to another... Risk of ending up with a broken head is very real... :bsmilie:

Why not just smile and tell them that "I thought that was some rubbish left over by the last person... I was about to throw the bottle away..." Remember to "GRIN WIDELY". :D

Hrm... it's so common sharing tables anywhere except singapore. :think:

That woman can try shouting that in hong kong. We'll probably have another hk bus uncle type of video hype.

:p

You should have recorded it all on your phone ... then we will have HK bus uncle vs SG hawker centre auntie :bsmilie:

Hrm... it's so common sharing tables anywhere except singapore. :think:

:p

I would not mind sharing if the other party do not STARE at what I am eating while waiting for their own food to be served...

When I was in UK, the locals are against so call chopping place in the food court, as they suppose to free up the seat and let the people have the food to eat first and finish fast, rather than search for place to seat and wasting time for both the "chopper" and the seat seaker.

I doubt it will work like this here in my life time :sweat:

Sgreans live in a first world country but still retain a third world mentality.

Sgreans live in a first world country but still retain a third world mentality.

sometimes i do wonder, so many funny deeds sg ppl do, yet i dun see them displayed among ppl around me... either i know too little sgreans, or ppl around me not from sg...

how many in CS here admit the above deed? :thumbsup: :sweatsm:

sometimes i do wonder, so many funny deeds sg ppl do, yet i dun see them displayed among ppl around me... either i know too little sgreans, or ppl around me not from sg...

how many in CS here admit the above deed? :thumbsup: :sweatsm:

Perhaps you don't take public transport or eat at Hawker centres enough.

Disgusting 3rd world habits that I still witness in Sg are spitting and "digging for gold". Yurgh!

You mean to say you have never witnessed the practice of reserving seats at a Hawker centre using packets of tissue before?

Another inconsiderate practice is the burning of incense paper during the 7th month; scorching the pavement and public areas in and around HDB void decks.

The least they could do is to purchase a piece of metal plate or burning bin to burn the paper on/in instead of vandalising public areas.

Yet another inconsiderate and dangerous practice is the storage of personal items as large as sofas and cupboards in the common corridors of HDB flats. It is not only unsightly and untidy but it is also a fire hazard , it also restricts access of escape during an emergency.

Perhaps you don't take public transport or eat at Hawker centres enough.

Disgusting 3rd world habits that I still witness in Sg are spitting and "digging for gold". Yurgh!

You mean to say you have never witnessed the practice of reserving seats at a Hawker centre using packets of tissue before?

true... how u know? :thumbsup: psychic... hehe... and i've not seen using packets of tissue before... cos i seldom eat at food courts, last time think... only a drink at the botanic garden food court with minoltians... hehe... i'm a selfish person who buy takeaways...

but i notice alot of ppl drive mercs & bmers those uncle & aunties always dig nose at junction... see them dig like so shiok... :sweatsm:

but i notice alot of ppl drive mercs & bmers those uncle & aunties always dig nose at junction... see them dig like so shiok... :sweatsm:

Which proves my first point - Sgreans live in a first world country but retain 3rd world mentality... and social standards.

You should have recorded it all on your phone ... then we will have HK bus uncle vs SG hawker centre auntie :bsmilie:

Nah... din want another HK bus uncle case around!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.