Unique2Me National Photo Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

terence0023

Aug 24, 2005
Buangkok
http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/about_singapore/fun_stuff/unique2me.html

15 November 2005 – 28 February 2006

Ever thought a photograph you once took was worth thousands of dollars? Well here’s your chance to win $10,000 with a photo, and have it showcased - just take part in the Unique2Me National Photo Contest.

All you need to do is take a picture of what’s uniquely Singapore in your eyes, write a caption for it, and share it with us!

So whether it’s the infamous durian or its architectural look-alike, the Esplanade, your next shot could make you a winner. What’s more, the winning photos will be printed on ezLink cards!

Don’t forget, one picture of what you feel is uniquely Singapore, is all you need to win these attractive prizes

Digital Photo Category Prizes

Grand Prize
Sony digital camera + Sony Ericsson mobile phone + S$10,000
1st Runner-up
Sony digital camera + Sony Ericsson mobile phone
2nd Runner-up

MMS Photo Category Prizes

Grand Prize
Sony digital camera + Sony Ericsson mobile phone + S$5,000

1st Runner-up

2nd Runner-up

Here’s another surprise! Come February 2006, you get to vote for the winning photographs. What’s more, you stand a chance to win attractive prizes by just voting. A vote in the Digital Photo category could win you Sony digital cameras or even S$200 in cash. And if you’re voting for the MMS Photo category, you could walk away with a Sony Ericsson mobile phone or the S$200 cash prize.

Digi submission: http://www.moblog.com.sg/unique2me/photosubmit.asp

Digi gallery :http://www.moblog.com.sg/unique2me/photogallery.asp

MMS submission:http://www.moblog.com.sg/unique2me/MMSPhotoSubmit.asp

MMS gallery:http://www.moblog.com.sg/unique2me/MMSPhotoGallery.asp

Workshop Registration: http://www.moblog.com.sg/unique2me/Registration.asp

Terms & conditions:http://www.visitsingapore.com/publi.../fun_stuff/unique2me/unique2me_terms_and.html

As usual to participants , please read the terms and conditions carefully before submitting your photos, etc clause 9

"
The Participant hereby agrees that STB reserves the right to use all photograph(s) submitted by the Participant for the Photo Contest (“Photographs”) for any purpose that STB deems fit including without limitation for publicity purposes, communications related to the Photo Contest and/or promoting Singapore as a travel destination, and hereby grants to STB a royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to use the copyright and all other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in such Photographs for such purposes, provided that in the event that STB decides to use the Participant’s Photograph(s), STB shall affix, print, or otherwise state on the appropriate form or medium, a notice to credit the source of the Photograph(s) to the Participant. In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein.

"

$10,000? I am in! i need moola now
:sweat:

kitkat said:
As usual to participants , please read the terms and conditions carefully before submitting your photos, etc clause 9

"
The Participant hereby agrees that STB reserves the right to use all photograph(s) submitted by the Participant for the Photo Contest (“Photographs”) for any purpose that STB deems fit including without limitation for publicity purposes, communications related to the Photo Contest and/or promoting Singapore as a travel destination, and hereby grants to STB a royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to use the copyright and all other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in such Photographs for such purposes, provided that in the event that STB decides to use the Participant’s Photograph(s), STB shall affix, print, or otherwise state on the appropriate form or medium, a notice to credit the source of the Photograph(s) to the Participant. In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein.

"

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

It's the usual Singaporean way of dangling a small carrot (or dare I say peanut? :p) in return for tonnes of pictures that the organisers can use at their whim and fancy, without having to pay for any royalty fees whatsoever.

'Digital Camera photographs should be uploaded on www.visitsingapore.com/unique2me with at least 300 dpi resolution. Minimum file size of the digital photograph should be 500 KB (and not exceed 3 MB) accompanied with properly completed Photo Contest online entry forms. Entries which are successfully uploaded will receive an email with the Participant’s Submission ID. The Participant should retain the email and take note of the Submission ID as proof of submission. '

Does this mean picture must be taken from digital camera ?
How's about pictures that are scanned from negative ?

:dunno:

Astin said:
Is the grand price $10k paid in cash? Not just some shopping voucher or discount coupon?

Free entry to Sentosa for the rest of your life haahaahaa

BUT looking at how the 10k is bundled think its more like $2 worth of discount voucher PER battery pack purchase thereafter! hey thats 5000 pcs ok!

hahhaha...whats worst, SENTOSA or SONY FOREVER??...least with sentosa you get to go to the IR once a while when its up.

seankyh said:
Free entry to Sentosa for the rest of your life haahaahaa

i would rather be Islander member...

:sweat:

teL said:
:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

It's the usual Singaporean way of dangling a small carrot (or dare I say peanut? :p) in return for tonnes of pictures that the organisers can use at their whim and fancy, without having to pay for any royalty fees whatsoever.

yes you are right about the dangling a peanut carrot...! but on hindsight, if u are not a professional photographer, how do u expect people to pay you royalty fees? So a amateur have to participate in these competitions, try to gain some recognition and up his portfolio and earn some peanuts first, before they talk about royalty fee. ;-)

sojourn88 said:
yes you are right about the dangling a peanut carrot...! but on hindsight, if u are not a professional photographer, how do u expect people to pay you royalty fees? So a amateur have to participate in these competitions, try to gain some recognition and up his portfolio and earn some peanuts first, before they talk about royalty fee. ;-)

You do not have to be a professional photographer to demand royalty fees. Look at the stock photography sites that are out there. They do not demand that you have to be a pro. It's a matter of respecting the rights over intellectual property, which are unfortunately disregarded often in these competitions.

teL said:
You do not have to be a professional photographer to demand royalty fees. Look at the stock photography sites that are out there. They do not demand that you have to be a pro. It's a matter of respecting the rights over intellectual property, which are unfortunately disregarded often in these competitions.
I need the friggin' money. S$10K is a lot to me man.... :sweat:

though we would like to see better T&Cs with regards to copyrights, at least this one do not ask you to pay their leagal fees when they get sued for using the images or provide any model release of the people in the images.

hold your horses. i remembered reading in the contest's t & cs as excerpted below.

"In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein."

yqt said:
though we would like to see better T&Cs with regards to copyrights, at least this one do not ask you to pay their leagal fees when they get sued for using the images or provide any model release of the people in the images.

reachme2003 said:
hold your horses. i remembered reading in the contest's t & cs as excerpted below.

"In addition, the Participant shall do all things and execute all documents necessary or as may be required by STB to enforce any of the rights promised to STB herein."

Mmmmmmm you got a point there. On a first read it seem like they just want you to sign a copyright release but reading it a 2nd time slowly.......... it's not very clear what they're refering to.

It just says that they want you to execute documents which perfect their rights in cases where such documents are needed. It doesn't give them any more rights than they already have.

Give you a typical example/hypothetical of when such clauses are used:

Party A assigns a patent whatever to Party B. Before Party B can record himself with the Patents Registry as assignee, he needs Party A to sign a document saying that Party A has assigned it to B. Or he may need Party A to sign some document required by the Registry before they will enter Party B as the new owner. In such a case, this clause comes into play and Party B can simply get Party A to sign that document citing this clause. If this clause is not around, Party A can simply refuse to sign the document.

Hope this helps on what the true meaning of this clause is intended to be.

yqt said:
Mmmmmmm you got a point there. On a first read it seem like they just want you to sign a copyright release but reading it a 2nd time slowly.......... it's not very clear what they're refering to.

Agree with you, althought it can always get better, Clause 9 in this T&C is by far the best I've come across to date regarding ownership and copyright and usage.

yqt said:

Zookeeper said:
Yup. Also see Clause 22.

Clause 22:dunno:I don't really get the legal mombo jumbo. Must be the cough med;p

lesson learn here for me? next time read through all the T&Cs slowly and when I'm not on medication before posting!!! :sweat:

in connection with the excerpted clause in my post, i think it includes obtaining a model release of identifiable person/s in the photo, if asked by STB.

vince123123 said:
It just says that they want you to execute documents which perfect their rights in cases where such documents are needed. It doesn't give them any more rights than they already have.

Give you a typical example/hypothetical of when such clauses are used:

Party A assigns a patent whatever to Party B. Before Party B can record himself with the Patents Registry as assignee, he needs Party A to sign a document saying that Party A has assigned it to B. Or he may need Party A to sign some document required by the Registry before they will enter Party B as the new owner. In such a case, this clause comes into play and Party B can simply get Party A to sign that document citing this clause. If this clause is not around, Party A can simply refuse to sign the document.

Hope this helps on what the true meaning of this clause is intended to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.