Unified taxi fares and companies coming this year

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Just heard this from a taxi driver - I don't have any other sources of info yet, but according to him, the government is planning to make fares standard across companies, and abolish all the surcharges except the midnight one.

Furthermore, there will only be one color of taxis, instead of multiple taxis.

Fares will start at $4 instead of the varying fares now..

The driver I spoke to seems to like the new system, and it makes it more predictable for him. I for one, look forward to this too.

This system is slated to be up by August this year..

How's that?

Honestly I only care about the professionalism aka the availability of the cabs. Try hailing / calling for a cab on a rainy day from Punggol & u will know ;)

The bosses/ministers who are paid director level fees only have seemed to have one solution over the decades for improving taxi standards: raising fares. I hope for their wretched& cursed souls they can do better this time round.

Abolish surcharges all the way. The surcharges only serve to allow the unprofessional cab drivers even more room to pick & choose. The peak hour & city surcharge was one of the most stupid decisions ever made (yeap, not mincing my words) and yes, do increase the starting fare to $4 if this allows the shortfall to incomes from removing surcharges to be recouped. Lastly , take a bit from their director's bonuses and use them as a fund to subsidize cab fares for those who qualify as needy.

As illustrated by ST recently, the current state of our taxi industry is quite messy.

A standardised approach to visual identity and fares would certainly be welcome from a customer's perspective – easier to spot cabs and estimate fares. I can't imagine how they'll pick a colour 'fairly' though, and who's going to foot the bill for the repainting? Also, operators won't be happy that they aren't able to differentiate themselves.

cabconfusion2511_0.jpg

via: http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...are-difference-can-be-more-10-same-ride-20131

If this happens, I have a very strong feeling that fares for 90% of commuters will see their fares rise yet again.

We can chose to take our first class mrt system always .. taxi is a privilege ..

We can chose to take our first class mrt system always .. taxi is a privilege ..

Or we can walk... as someone put it in the past... not happy don't take.

Just heard this from a taxi driver - I don't have any other sources of info yet, but according to him, the government is planning to make fares standard across companies, and abolish all the surcharges except the midnight one.

Furthermore, there will only be one color of taxis, instead of multiple taxis.

Fares will start at $4 instead of the varying fares now..

The driver I spoke to seems to like the new system, and it makes it more predictable for him. I for one, look forward to this too.

This system is slated to be up by August this year..

How's that?

We don't have more details. $4 flag down fee is more expensive than any type of taxis except the Chrysler and the Toyota SUV. Is it a coincidence they used a higher than usual denominator to "unify" fares? I only see fare increment, nothing else.

at least we are not like sweden.... crazy taxi system there...

Single fare, and that brings free market and competition.

Unified rate sound nice! + a $4 flags down is at the higher side = simple, a rise in taxi fare for us!

What bites me is that the shift change is at the busy time of the day!! shift change should be 3AM / 3PM or 10AM / 10PM ( AND Strictly for 1 hour from start time. )

Last edited:
Single fare, and that brings free market and competition.

In the taxi industry, there is no free market and competition

The products and services offered is the same for all taxi companies

Consumers don't have much choice when he needs to hail a cab. Whatever cab comes first, he will just take.

So the thing is there is a need for a unified fare, to be fair to the consumers.

if that happen no surcharge during peak hr it will be worst waiting time than now , most of our taxi uncle will be in coffee shop or under the tree sleeping .

if that happen no surcharge during peak hr it will be worst waiting time than now , most of our taxi uncle will be in coffee shop or under the tree sleeping .

They have to report on the mileage travelled, rem?

My observation, many taxis are not plying the road and use as private cars. Go to any car park, not surprising to see taxis parked there instead of on the road.

Our taxis are one of the most confusing in rates and the various color and design. As Singaporean, I also don't know. Wonder why must it be so complicated and how on earth visitors are going to understand?

My simple laymen solution. All taxis must be on the road and if displaying occupied, meter must runs. Meter will be sealed and total collection read by tax dept. if taxi show empty, must pick up passenger, otherwise fine.

Changing shift, meal time, urgent needs, extra. Meter must be engaged to register occupied. A discount for income tax given to take account of these. These will weed out those not really intending to drive a taxi for a living. So, whatever taxis registered, they will be on the road and not private cars. Competition will keep fare down too.

not fully correct.

the govt is only going to standardise the cab color but not the different fares.
the surcharges will remain to meet the supply and demand base on time and area.
without the surcharges, NO taxi driver would pay an ERP and drive into a CBD for a fare.

join facebook - taxiuncle dot com

not fully correct. the govt is only going to standardise the cab color but not the different fares. the surcharges will remain to meet the supply and demand base on time and area. without the surcharges, NO taxi driver would pay an ERP and drive into a CBD for a fare. join facebook - taxiuncle dot com

That is exactly how LTA think but didn't work for so long. Why taxi needs to pay ERP? If they need to be on the road to survive, they will go anywhere as long as there is no additional cost.