underwater photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppinghippo

Apr 10, 2002
photos.yahoo.com
Hi, I want to take snorkelling photos but don't want to buy an underwater camera. am thinking of buying a disposable underwater camera but noticed they all don't come with flash. anyone has any experience using dispoable underwater cameras? how to achieve good exposure with no flash?

I have not used one...but have seen photo taken by my friend using the Fuji disposable underwater camera that cost RM35 one (30 exposure? Can't remember exactly now). At 3R, it is quite similar to normal 35mm film cam, or is not far away. Just that most of the shots are a bit dark...light is a problem. From what I observed and asked...U so must stay close to the subject...or near to the surface to have enough sunlight shining through. It also depends on the quality of the water.

For that kind of disposable cam...what really important is the mood/atmosphere. Just make sure the subject is in the frame then you are fine.

Enjoy!

yeah that's why I was puzzled to find that NONE of the dispoable underwater cams have flash but normal daylight ones do. I was thinking of dry packing a normal day dispoable cam in say a ziplock bag, but I think the cam might not be able to have the proper exposure despite the flash. I know underwater cams use ISO 400 film but days use 200 I think. I wonder if using built in flash on the camera will cause scattering underwater too? so maybe that's why underwater disposable cams don't have flash?

I think disposeable cam are very cheaply built...not sure if there is any focusing or exposure metering in it. For underwater...it might be more complicated to get the flash electronic circuit not to short, thus price might increase much.

Thought maybe i should share this with you guys. Bought one underwater disposable cam before at Tioman (can't remember what brand and how much). Label says maximum deph of 2m but we brought it down to 20m!!! when we scuba dived. What surprises us was it survived! Not sure if I was very lucky or the design can take that kind of pressure.

Coz got no flash, photos all turned out greyish and dark. But it was fun.

Originally posted by Olympus2000
Thought maybe i should share this with you guys. Bought one underwater disposable cam before at Tioman (can't remember what brand and how much). Label says maximum deph of 2m but we brought it down to 20m!!! when we scuba dived. What surprises us was it survived! Not sure if I was very lucky or the design can take that kind of pressure.

Coz got no flash, photos all turned out greyish and dark. But it was fun.

do you use any equipment when diving down to 20m? Is it safe to go this deep?

Originally posted by Kho King

do you use any equipment when diving down to 20m? Is it safe to go this deep?

eh, 20 meters leh..... that's like quite deep, unless he have gills......

yes... we were scuba diving, completely geared up. It was out of curiosity that I brought the disposable cam down to just try it out. Coz the view is really nice and i wanted quite badly to take some shots. Please... I do not recommend it to be brought down beyond it's specification. just thought to share my observation that the disposable case design is very robust.

olympus: did it snap ok without flash? or did you use your own torches to provide enuff lighting?

pictures turned up badly for all. can't do without flashes. Some turnep up okay (but everything was grey and dull) at shallower waters (~10m i think) where the lighting is better.
hehe... use my puny touch to light the place? i didn't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.