Understudy Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Tiger

May 11, 2004
In the heart of SengKang
www.worldwar2aces.com
Hi Elite Nikonian

I am currently using Sony cybershot F828 camera, intend to upgrade to DSLR at later stage.
But for now, I would like to under study more on Nikon DSLR, lens and accessories before making the next move.
Would like to hear from all users their experience, regret, no regret, good buy, bad buy, functions of Nikon equipment.
Hope to hear lengthy explanation from individuals, but please no flame other brand (or me) as I would like to
concentrate on Nikon understudy only (again, please take note, under study only)

So, let start the ball rolling. You can start at any point, or add comment which is not stated below and answer freely whatever you know or deed necessary.
Questions : For D70
a) some dun like it because it is an budget end camera, too common due to popularity, plastic camera, not a magnesium alloy built camera, are you one of them? Please comment base on your view.
b) As a newbie, is it good if I bought the D70 with kit ?
c) I notice some of Nikonian sell their DX 18~70mm lens away, is the len bad or because of the F3.5~5.6, comment please.
d) I heard about back focus problem on D70, do they still exist now? or will it appear after a few months of your purchase.
e) Is there anyone complain no vertical grip for D70?
f) what are the item you have and how much you have spend on D70 and Nikon accessories (except tripod and bags)

Question : For D100
g) An 2002 DSLR for quite sometime, some dun buy because it is any old product, old technology. Please comment.
h) Some still loyal to D100 than D70, why ? Is it because of vertical grip or quality of camera
i) In Buy and sell Forum, D100 and vertical grip is selling at $2000? is it a good buy over D70?

Question : For D2H (it is a machine gun with high rate of 8 fps per second and attractive 2.5 inch LCD screen)
j) High end priced DSLR, someone told me that D2H is suitable for news photographer only, is it true?
k) It is a 4 megapixel camera only, better to buy D70 which got 6.3 megapixel.
l) Newbie dun need to use D2H? is a waste of money. Comment please.
m) there are few users using D2H, would like to hear from you.

Question : For Nikon lens
n) Is the DX Fisheye len 10.5mm F2.8 good for landscape shot? Anyone using, please share experience.
o) other than Fisheye len, other alternative is DX12~24mm? Please comment.
p) I didn't notice or few of them using DX 17~55 mm F2.8, who would want to use this lens, wouldn't be the kit len 18~70 mm better?
q) AF VR 24~120mm lens cost about $900 plus, it is a quality len as compare to DX lens?
r) what is the definition of a good len? is it more element with more group? more ED and aspherical built in?

P.S. a) Somebody did ask me a few question before, why do you want to upgrade to DSLR?
Why spend so much money? Upgrade to DSLR doesn't mean you will create miracle and wonder.
F828 is a good camera, dun need to upgrade. Shoot more, talk less.... dun spend so much talk on this thread.
You are not earning a living on photography, dun waster money.......... and the story goes on......
I have answer a few of them, so please respect individual decision and concentrate in this topic on understudy only, thanks.
For a very simple answer to all why I intend to upgrade..... I like my F828, but I love and I am enthusiast to learn photography too.

P.S b) I am not sure if this topics have been discuss before (hopefully not), but from time to time,
ideas and situation changes, and some of us may have different view and point to share.
So please support me on this topics.

P.S. c) I am also understudy Canon DSLR, but create @ Canon thread, other than to avoid the who vs who war;
D70 better or 300D better; my main objective is to understudy only, not interest to compare against other brand.

King Tiger said:
Hi Elite Nikonian

I am currently using Sony cybershot F828 camera, intend to upgrade to DSLR at later stage.
But for now, I would like to under study more on Nikon DSLR, lens and accessories before making the next move.
Would like to hear from all users their experience, regret, no regret, good buy, bad buy, functions of Nikon equipment.
Hope to hear lengthy explanation from individuals, but please no flame other brand (or me) as I would like to
concentrate on Nikon understudy only (again, please take note, under study only)

So, let start the ball rolling. You can start at any point, or add comment which is not stated below and answer freely whatever you know or deed necessary.
a) some dun like it because it is an budget end camera, too common due to popularity, plastic camera, not a magnesium alloy built camera, are you one of them? Please comment base on your view.
c) I notice some of Nikonian sell their DX 18~70mm lens away, is the len bad or because of the F3.5~5.6, comment please.
d) I heard about back focus problem on D70, do they still exist now? or will it appear after a few months of your purchase.
f) what are the item you have and how much you have spend on D70 and Nikon accessories (except tripod and bags)

g) An 2002 DSLR for quite sometime, some dun buy because it is any old product, old technology. Please comment.
h) Some still loyal to D100 than D70, why ? Is it because of vertical grip or quality of camera
i) In Buy and sell Forum, D100 and vertical grip is selling at $2000? is it a good buy over D70?

Question : For D2H (it is a machine gun with high rate of 8 fps per second and attractive 2.5 inch LCD screen)
j) High end priced DSLR, someone told me that D2H is suitable for news photographer only, is it true?

n) Is the DX Fisheye len 10.5mm F2.8 good for landscape shot? Anyone using, please share experience.
p) I didn't notice or few of them using DX 17~55 mm F2.8, who would want to use this lens, wouldn't be the kit len 18~70 mm better?
q) AF VR 24~120mm lens cost about $900 plus, it is a quality len as compare to DX lens?
r) what is the definition of a good len? is it more element with more group? more ED and aspherical built in?

P.S. a) Somebody did ask me a few question before, why do you want to upgrade to DSLR?
Why spend so much money? Upgrade to DSLR doesn't mean you will create miracle and wonder.
F828 is a good camera, dun need to upgrade. Shoot more, talk less.... dun spend so much talk on this thread.
You are not earning a living on photography, dun waster money.......... and the story goes on......
I have answer a few of them, so please respect individual decision and concentrate in this topic on understudy only, thanks.
For a very simple answer to all why I intend to upgrade..... I like my F828, but I love and I am enthusiast to learn photography too.

P.S b) I am not sure if this topics have been discuss before (hopefully not), but from time to time,
ideas and situation changes, and some of us may have different view and point to share.

P.S. c) I am also understudy Canon DSLR, but create @ Canon thread, other than to avoid the who vs who war;
D70 better or 300D better; my main objective is to understudy only, not interest to compare against other brand.

:cheergal: I bought a D70 a couple of weeks back
and I totally LOVED it!
The Kit ain't to bad of a ideal if you dun have any Nikon stuff....
The len is good for travelling I guess....
Nice pictures taken with it.....
NOT complaning at ALL.... :cheergal:

[NOOB] here, interested to find out the replies. :D

oh man...so does anyone knows whats the difference between having a cannon and a nikon? just curious though i have a nikon with me.

> SBS bus also very common, but I don't see anybody not taking SBS bus. D100 is also a 'budget' consumer end camera, so is 10D. The professional series are the D*h and D*x series. That's life.

> Yes, you get a WA to a mid zoom range lens that covers basically wide to zoom, which is good isn't it?

> The lens is good, comparable if you don't really go and compare with the surpreme lenses & such, guess they sold it because they want to upgrade to more range like the 28-200 or 80-200 and/or 70-200. Most users prefer zoom over WA to mid range. Power-hungry? Heehee.

> Count the number of back focus problems on the forums, and check out sykestang list of D70 remote orderers. No doubt they might not all have complained, but it's just a small matter. BACK FOCUS CAN BE FIXED, 2.5s STARTUP TIME CANNOT BE FIXED.

> Yes, I probably would myself. I'm spoilt, so sue me. My hands are too big.

> N/A

> Nope, the cost factor I believe, it has many good features & is a very good camera for the consumer to the pro-professional. It's not old technology. Given the timeframe and the capabilities, it's only recently outshone by the D70 on certain specs, D2H aside since it's a professional camera.

> For me, it's the grip, design, and more importantly, I'm too used to the D100, also, not forgetting the D70 doesn't replace the D100, it's a prelude to the replacement of the D200. Thus it's still of different calibre, but I won't say the D70 is not near or not as good as the D100. Small bits and nits.

> IYAM, I would think so, a D100 + grip new is about $2600 + $350. Only problem is you need to spend $$ for lenses, but a new AF-S 18-70DX costs you about $460 new, and a 50mm is only $180.

> Nope, ask AJ to show you his fireworks & models & wedding shots.

> CRAP. Ooops too harsh, they're different calibre machines, MP is not everything. A 4MP on a D2H will still beat crap out of digital cameras with 8MP.

> You can, but the initial investment is very high, consider carefully.

> AJ23, KNIGHT ONG, willyfoo, Avatar, skfoo, chngpe01 and Harlequin I believe would be more than happy to share with you :)

> Urm... it's a special len, personally i like my landscape wide but not distorted, I think dennis might be able to comment on this.

> Fish eye is fish eye, 12-24DX is a wide angle len. They produce different results. :) If you want other fish eyes, - 14 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8. But after FLM, you don't get much fish eye effect.

> Quality wise, I'd think the 17-55 would definitely win. This len is a professional series of the DX len which is made for digital bodies. Note the f/2.8. The 18-70DX I would say is more of a consumer len which is capable, but quality & results if you look VERY closely, might be very different from the 17-55 f/2.8. I can see the users who would want to use this len would be landscape / wedding shooters? The wide is good for landscape, and the range is ideal for wedding shooters. The len is cheaper than the legendary 17-35 f/2.8 and with more range, so I guess this might be a pull factor for pure digital users.

DX is a special format glass that's cut to only capture the sensor's view. Thus it's unable to be used on film bodies. The AF-S 24-120VR is a good len, I can vouch for it, not the best around, but the range & usefulness of the len is something that I would recommend if you're a newbie. If you compare the AF-S 24-120VR against the AF-S 18-70DX, it's just like comparing two pieces of glass to see which suits your needs better, DX is ignorable unless you want to use on film bodies.

> Varies actually, there's not hard and straight rules on this, some say the 18-35 is a good len, some say the 17-35 is a good len, boils down to your love & contentment of the heart. More elements doesn't mean it's good. ED is Nikon's invention as to Canon's L lenses.

If you wanna say good, I'd (MY VIEW) say primes, and all of Nikon's f/2.8 lenses. Namely, (MY TRINITY) 17-35 f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8. They can compare mostly up with most primes and results not losing to primes like 50mm at f/1.8 and sometimes can even win primes.

> Frankly, do what you want and don't regret, you don't need to answer to anybody for what you do, just do the right thing. Wai wai wai. Tell me wai. Boy... ask them, why do you ask so much. ;p

P.S b) I am not sure if this topics have been discuss before (hopefully not), but from time to time, ideas and situation changes, and some of us may have different view and point to share. So please support me on this topics.

> Always glad to help, how about dropping by Nikon council? Heehee.

P.S. c) I am also understudy Canon DSLR, but create @ Canon thread, other than to avoid the who vs who war; D70 better or 300D better; my main objective is to understudy only, not interest to compare against other brand.

> Hope it helped.

Wha so many question but many already answered by espn.
I will chip in a few more. Have a D70 and still love it, will probably still keep it even if I buy a new body (I doubt so, at least for some time). No grip no problem for me. What is wrong with cheap camera as long as it serves well.
As for lens I am a wide angle nut, if need to say which lens is better than all are good at some point or others. Fisheye is a good fun lens but also can be used for serious work depending on how you handle it, this lens cannot be put side by side with any others simply because it is a special purpose lens. As for wide angle 12-24 is very good despite all the competition from Sigma, it has its own merits. 18-70 kit lens is a good all rounder but competition coming from Sigma 18-125mm although a bit slow but handle well. 17-55mm is a pro caliber and can produce stunning images with very good contrast, cannot be put side by side with 18-70mm as the quality, build and speed is totally different. 24-120mm is also a good all rounder lens with VR that actually works, soft at wide but can be very good at the longer end, if you don't require wide this would be the lens to go with again competition coming from Sigma 18-125mm. As for how much one spent it entirely depends on you.
Finally IMO a good lens is one that let you capture the image you wanted but of course not considering the mechanical build of the lens. If the time comes for you to upgrade and wanted have a feel of the D70 and lens (at least I have all the DX lens and some others) let us know and I am sure we are all willing to let you have a go at it. I am sure espn will be around to BUY BUY BUY again.

King Tiger said:
Hi Elite Nikonian

Seraphim said:
oh man...so does anyone knows whats the difference between having a cannon and a nikon? just curious though i have a nikon with me.

one is a weapon of war, one is a brand. :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

I am a D100 user and happy with my camera. If I have to buy now, I will buy D70. I do not think the D70 quality is any better than D100. Vertical grip is not a big deal for me.

If you can get a good deal with D100, buy all means consider it.

I use 10.5 mm not for landscape but effect. the 12-24 mm is a good super wide angle zoom. This is Nikon answer to our needs to replace 18-35mm lens.

17-55mm is a good fast lens for general purpose.

24-120 mm VR is a general purpose lens which I often use if I have to carry just one lens in either shooting with my D100 or F100.

Just wondering what determines a Pro camera. Price, specs or number or professionals using it???

Clark75 said:
Just wondering what determines a Pro camera. Price, specs or number or professionals using it???
Mainly the specs and build of the camera, which are of higher specifications. Pro bodies are generally larger, more ruggedly built, in most cases weather-proof, and have a higher frame rate per second, usually 8fps and above (and in the case of digital, higher buffer memory) than the so called "prosumer/consumer" SLR bodies. Feature-wise they have more bells and whistles and a plethora of options or custom functions to play around with too. Most importantly, they have an advanced and very fast & accurate AF system, which is extremely crucial for pros going about their jobs (e.g shooting sports and covering events or news photojournalism). Price-wise they are generally in the higher-priced strata of SLR cameras (read: top of the line). A D2H street price is around ~$5.5k while a 1D Mk II goes for abt $7.5k. (approximate figures, pls dun flame me if I'm wrong). Compare that to say, Canon 300D (~$1.8k w/ kit lens) or Nikon D70 (~$2k+ w/ kit lens). Pro cameras are also sold as bodies only sets (i.e. they don't come bundles with "kit lens").

And they don't come with internal flash too !!! :bsmilie:

espn said:
> SBS bus also very common, but I don't see anybody not taking SBS bus. D100 is also a 'budget' consumer end camera, so is 10D. The professional series are the D*h and D*x series. That's life.

FYI, there are people who don't take SBS buses. :bsmilie: :devil:

espn said:
And they don't come with internal flash too !!! :bsmilie:

Do you consider a drawback for D2H without internal flash, I think high end DSLR of other brand dun come with it too.
Guess because it is design for sport and fast photography which internal flash is not require.

LOL I think he is taking it too seriously. If I am not wrong it was a remark made by some guy who writes for some papers and put it as a drawback for the camera. BTW when looking into a camera don't look just at the bodies, they are going to be outdated even before you get used to the functionalities. Instead look at the system as a whole and what flexibility it can offers. i.e. currently Nikon is the only system that offers true wide angles for DSLR.

King Tiger said:
Do you consider a drawback for D2H without internal flash, I think high end DSLR of other brand dun come with it too.
Guess because it is design for sport and fast photography which internal flash is not require.

Garion said:
Mainly the specs and build of the camera, which are of higher specifications. Pro bodies are generally larger, more ruggedly built, in most cases weather-proof, and have a higher frame rate per second, usually 8fps and above (and in the case of digital, higher buffer memory) than the so called "prosumer/consumer" SLR bodies. Feature-wise they have more bells and whistles and a plethora of options or custom functions to play around with too. Most importantly, they have an advanced and very fast & accurate AF system, which is extremely crucial for pros going about their jobs (e.g shooting sports and covering events or news photojournalism). Price-wise they are generally in the higher-priced strata of SLR cameras (read: top of the line). A D2H street price is around ~$5.5k while a 1D Mk II goes for abt $7.5k. (approximate figures, pls dun flame me if I'm wrong). Compare that to say, Canon 300D (~$1.8k w/ kit lens) or Nikon D70 (~$2k+ w/ kit lens). Pro cameras are also sold as bodies only sets (i.e. they don't come bundles with "kit lens").

Oh I see. My confusion is that I see some professional (and I define it by the living that make taking photos) using a D70 and D100. And actually that was why I was swayed to take up photography as well. Because if it's going to cost a bomb, I doubt I'd pick it up to try.

Might be what a WRX is to a Carrera; close but not close enough! Just a thought

Photography Professionals in my meaning means "paid for shoot", ie, they live mainly on photography. It doesn't really matter what camera you use.

However for professional cameras, Garion has gave some good arguments. :) Can see he's already prepared to jump over right, Garion? ;)

King Tiger said:

i think the reasons why pro bodies don't come with internal flash r:

1) they use pentaprism instead of mirrors, so having a built in flash will block the prism.

2) the built in flash is of low standard. having it on a pro body will tarnish its reputation so must use ext flash to give high GN & uniform illumination

just my guess. :)

The built-in flashes might be lousy compared to a SB-800. But it's also very useful when you need a little fill. I'll be very happy to have it no matter how lousy it is. Seriously though, the built-in flash in the D70 is very usable.

bernards said:
The built-in flashes might be lousy compared to a SB-800. But it's also very useful when you need a little fill. I'll be very happy to have it no matter how lousy it is. Seriously though, the built-in flash in the D70 is very usable.

Yuppers, another thing is that the built in flash can be used as the commander in the CLS setup. I find that pretty handy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.