Understanding the theory of model shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagetsuki

Jun 15, 2005
east
minicloud.com
I'm a newbie~ look at my CS status. And there are some things that I do not understand aoround here. after some observation it is clear that some photographers enjoy going to events and shooting trade show models.

I do understand the difficulty and limitations in shooting at events. The lighting's not under your control, you have tonnes of people who might be blocking your shots... I also understand that it is through this that some obtain precious learning experiences. Some eventually branch out to doin portraits shots while some choose to remain shooting at events.

It is also at these tradeshows and events that the contacts of the 'models' were obtained. A thread offering to shoot these models would be started here in CS. Scurrying photogs would 'sign up' for these shoots if the girls are pretty, paying a small fee. The girls would bring several outfits to change. But there's no theme.

Pardon my ignorance and pardon me if i sound arty-farty, but I do not understand the reasons behind these shoots. Most of them portray no mood. I see beautiful smiles from the 'models' but nothing beyond their eyes. What is it then, are the photographers trying to capture?:dunno:

And another thing, trade show models are trade show models. it does not necessary mean that they know how to pose. there are so many categories of models: trade-show models, photography models, runway models etc etc. how then do you decide if she is suitable for a shoot? Just a pretty face?

Any answers? :sweatsm:

it depends on where these photographers are on the learning curve
and what form of photography they are interested in.

Remember that sometimes it takes years of learning to be able to
direct and shoot people.

Mostly the reason behind these kind of shots is beauty.

Some of these "subjects" are not even models!!??!!
But every photographer goes through this stage in their learning curve.
Some just stay there.

ortega said:
it depends on where these photographers are on the learning curve
and what form of photography they are interested in.

Remember that sometimes it takes years of learning to be able to
direct and shoot people..

I guess this is what distinguishes really good photographers from the rest.
Some conceptualizes and describes the mood and setting that the model should imagine herself to be in. Kind of like a director of still photos. while the rest jus shoots....

ortega said:
Mostly the reason behind these kind of shots is beauty.

Some of these "subjects" are not even models!!??!!

exactly, they're not even models. But i do think there must be some people u haf to practice on of course.

However, it is also the inclination of humans to this 'beauty' that has caused some photographers to remain at a standstill in their learning curve.

The world is looking at redefining beauty. Shouldn't we play a part at it? Transforming non-conventional beauties into real beauties.

you see, ppl carry big guns and shoot girls at events like comex feel siok mah........pretty girls are their only interest.

when they pay the girls to go outdoors and shoot, who cares about theme?

Bear in mind, if they post pics here or else where, don't anyhow comments, alot kena :flame: and left like the famous OMG.

smurfman said:
you see, ppl carry big guns and shoot girls at events like comex feel siok mah........pretty girls are their only interest.

when they pay the girls to go outdoors and shoot, who cares about theme?

Bear in mind, if they post pics here or else where, don't anyhow comments, alot kena :flame: and left like the famous OMG.

all carefully masked behind the fact that they carry expensive SLRs. I feel sad for the cameras

Actually it is easier to understand the theory of fourier transform or the theory of darwins evolution than to understand the theory of model shooting.

Theory? Guys like pretty girls. Done. Some improve some stay there. Go for model shoot because there is less disturbance from non shooters. Some improve there, some dont.

Kagetsuki said:
I'm a newbie~ look at my CS status. And there are some things that I do not understand aoround here. after some observation it is clear that some photographers enjoy going to events and shooting trade show models.

I do understand the difficulty and limitations in shooting at events. The lighting's not under your control, you have tonnes of people who might be blocking your shots... I also understand that it is through this that some obtain precious learning experiences. Some eventually branch out to doin portraits shots while some choose to remain shooting at events.

It is also at these tradeshows and events that the contacts of the 'models' were obtained. A thread offering to shoot these models would be started here in CS. Scurrying photogs would 'sign up' for these shoots if the girls are pretty, paying a small fee. The girls would bring several outfits to change. But there's no theme.

Pardon my ignorance and pardon me if i sound arty-farty, but I do not understand the reasons behind these shoots. Most of them portray no mood. I see beautiful smiles from the 'models' but nothing beyond their eyes. What is it then, are the photographers trying to capture?:dunno:

And another thing, trade show models are trade show models. it does not necessary mean that they know how to pose. there are so many categories of models: trade-show models, photography models, runway models etc etc. how then do you decide if she is suitable for a shoot? Just a pretty face?

Under the guildance of pointblankshots, we are beginning to see photographers moving out of pretty face phase. We are starting to see shots that project mood, are atmospheric and conceptually intriguing.

I think we may see many more photos of such nature. Once shown the way, the photographers will want the photo shoot organizers for more creative and stylistic directions and locations with greater ambience and models to take on more challenging roles.

Hang around and there'll be interesting times ahead.

Kagetsuki said:
I guess this is what distinguishes really good photographers from the rest.
Some conceptualizes and describes the mood and setting that the model should imagine herself to be in. Kind of like a director of still photos. while the rest jus shoots....

too general a statement, some of them are really good at this kind of shoots
after all art is subjective

Kagetsuki said:
exactly, they're not even models. But i do think there must be some people u haf to practice on of course.

got to give these newbie models a chance to learn aslo what

Kagetsuki said:
However, it is also the inclination of humans to this 'beauty' that has caused some photographers to remain at a standstill in their learning curve.

The world is looking at redefining beauty. Shouldn't we play a part at it? Transforming non-conventional beauties into real beauties.
as mentioned b4 art is subjective, some man's meat is another man's poison

Sion said:
Under the guildance of pointblankshots, we are beginning to see photographers moving out of pretty face phase. We are starting to see shots that project mood, are atmospheric and conceptually intriguing.

I think we may see many more photos of such nature. Once shown the way, the photographers will want the photo shoot organizers for more creative and stylistic directions and locations with greater ambience and models to take on more challenging roles.

Hang around and there'll be interesting times ahead.

oh~ I've seen his works and a few others like Mattlock, lumen and few others. they're truely inspirational. It's people like this that puts themselves in a different class of photographers.

I'm staying put for the interesting times ahead.

Sometimes, I just want to shoot for the fun of it. Doesn't matter if its a model or not, its just something to shoot. If you had a gun in your hands, you'd be shooting tin cans. If you had a hammer, you'd be looking for something to whack.

There are those who are more professional and want to achieve better quality in their work.
There are those who just want to have fun and learn something along the way if they should stumble across the opportunity.

But I do agree. Wanting to learn proper portraiture/ glamour photography at tradeshows is like running east looking for a sunset.

dun think too hard. just go shoot an event with photogenic models then u will know the feeling. its a very dynamic sensation capture models posing naturally in real time.:cool:

Art is subjective... Some people like pop music, some jazz, some classical... You can tell a person who likes pop music how complex and beautiful jazz music is, but he or she may not appreciate it no matter how much you try... Sometimes, people just like simple things, nothing too complex or artsy fartsy, nothing wrong with that, that does not mean that they themselves are simple people. If they enjoy taking pictures of beautiful women, as long as they like it, even though it has not been carefully planned or thought out photo shoot, so be it...

I joined my 1st model shoot to experience the shoot and observe how other photogragpher are shooting. That day I learned the significance of playing with my flash (which I may not learn on my own).

Succeeding shoot I learned how to frame properly, gained confidence in posing the model, and meet up with the rest of CSers here, compare photos and improve... so basically at this point, I pay to shoot for myself and not really pressured to make the model pretty for the sake of pretty photo... shooting friends has downside... they are not willing to wake up early and they expect photographers to lie through their teeth (or lens) and make them prettier, slimmer, etc...spending for makeup is more expensive than joining a shoot. And lastly, I like pretty girls. What can I say. They are pleasing to look at. I think its healthy and normal too. For a guy.

But I'm still not keen on events although its a good training ground as well... imagine the model walking towards you and you need to use flash... if she walked slower than you anticipated, the photo is under... if she walk faster then you harsh flash her... so kudos to those good and serious events photographers.

Kagetsuki said:

It's something I've been trying to understand too. :bsmilie: ... and no, I don't wanna shoot those ... don't ask me why ... :bsmilie:

huh...theory...what theory? how come i dun know there's one?

can someone teach me?

No money to pay "models" just to shoot them. ;p
I wouldn't want to if I had the money anyway.
I just can't stand looking at pics of most of these "models" posing with their oh-so-cute smiles.
I'd rather see a face of an old woman staring blankly at you when you shoot her.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.