Understanding rates.

ori0n

Jul 10, 2012
TANGLIN HALT
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask this. What is the estimated rates for a newbie photographer to take standard pictures at a particular location. Set up and photo taking takes approx 30-40min. There is no need for major setup. Pls kindly advise

What do you mean by "standard pictures?"

Different kinds of photography has different charging methods and rates. I don't think anyone will be able to give you a proper estimation with such a general statement.

Anything from $2 (1 pair of cufflinks) to $5000 (2500 pairs)...

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask this. What is the estimated rates for a newbie photographer to take standard pictures at a particular location. Set up and photo taking takes approx 30-40min. There is no need for major setup. Pls kindly advise

take standard pictures as in stand there and take pictures?

that depends on how much time and efforts you will spend, your self-worth, your intended profits and how desperate the clients need the photos...

if work out your overhead is too hard for you, you can copy and paste the rate from other photographers' site, but bear in mind the rate is irrelevant and not realistic to you.

FYI, we have zero knowledge about your work, if base on your previous posting, you need to let the person who want hire you believe that you can deliver the shots before talking about the rates.

thread moved.

Hi,

The slippery question is what is standard. Different people have differing starting point eg a gifted with the eye will even at newbie produce a better than some one without this talent who has spent some time learning. But talent is over rated compared to being obessively motivated which over time will thrump talent that did nothing more.
There is no true answer since no one knows what u normal produce. My first piece of advise is if you have uncertainty producing to turn the job down , shooting for money is more difficult than u think. The good shootervjust makes it look easy.

Some will charge $100 for 2000 pictures, others will charge $2000 for 1 picture.

"Standard picture" has no meaning. Standard picture of what??

Depends on what the images need to be used for. How much set-up, post processing work and finally usage rights.

Groan I read the question again and I have a very very bad suspicion that this one newbie in life too. Okay let's make this simple since you obviously do not want us to know what is it that you are supposed to be doing - some photo activity that takes abt 40min to do from word go. Then we obviously have no answer since when we do not know what you are doing it is a WDF moment.

In this case you can do one of 3 things;

1. pluck a figure from the air - okay in case you do not understand (I am feeling kind tonight) - just wack an amount. Job owner will either say okay and pay or ROFL and say Wuck off.
2. take what ever amount they give you.
3. forget about shooting for money. If you do not understand the biz of it, better off you are that you do not do biz. Pants lose you can. May be photons be with you.

may i propose to you-

minimum. cover costs and expenses
equipment and material cost
travel and transport cost.
food allowance to be factored in, if shooting hours include meal times.
depreciation cost of lens, linear depreciation . eg your lens 1k use five years, how much depreciation per day? apply to all your equipment.

next,opportunity cost. what i am going to say is in no way a reflection of your skill level. only you yourself know.

if you feel you are new and only ok, can't command good rate, use the hourly rate at fast food restaurant . that is the opportunity cost to you if you are working there instead of shooting .

of course if you are better, talented and good, feel free to charge engineer rate, doctor rate, lawyer rate, ceo rate.

most important you don't under charge for your skill, and let customer know your level too.

this is a good question actually, but the problem is, most aspiring photographers just buy a camera and proclaim they are photographers.

Unlike before most would prefer to be attached to a photographer first to gain experience and learn the ropes

shizuma has a good suggestion, cover your cost first, then see whats your worth and start from there

Frankly I found the US sites where they help you calculate the cost of a shoot, while helpful they are also extremely misleading. Knowing your cost is important, however how to price yourself (ie how much profit do you need) is the skill no site I have seen so far wants to talk about. This is the core essential skill in any business. Frankly no one will give this one away to perfect strangers. Yes I am saying the selfish thing - not for verbal vormiting out.

Our TS has not revert to tell us more about what he is supposed to do. Some how too many posters here think this is a free course on how to run a biz or is it drop a request and see everyone came to do one up manship to show they know a lot and will tell a lot ? I have always felt the sharing of information comes from and through a dissuasion, where all parties contribute to. It is never you set up a table (ask a question) and people come to put food on the table (share experiences). Feed these sort of people is not good it encourages this sort of behavior. Plus how many time have you seen a TS posting a simple thank you for those who took the time and effort to try to help. I have seen zero instance of this. I think it is time to encourage better behavior.

It mirrors the behaviour troll in the cufflink thread we stop feeding it there only to have another start here. Do we want to "entertain" these sort of people. Even in the pro gear thread - the basic message just seems to escape question posters there. Much effort was made by various kind souls to educate what has been said in so many places, still now you have some one asking that pros reveal what sort of bag they used to fetch gear to work. I dunno why take the effort when nothing seems to get through. Better let nature take it's course and winnow out the chaff from the grain. Those that really want to learn will normal find a way to learn , those who just want to be told stories about the secrets of the ...... which once know will make you Number one will just have to watch a movie for kicks. YMWV on this, it is my opinion it need not be yours.

Hi, sorry for the late reply and apologies for my incomplete posting as I too have no idea what to define. But thanks to your replies I roughly know what to state.

My objective is to take virtual tour images. The photos are such:

2 type of shoots
Type 1 - normal point and shoot
- using aperture priority or auto mode
- my DSLR with default lens
- take 2-3 picture per room

Type 2 - virtual tour
- using my tripod and rotator
- my DSLR/ fish eye lens
- shooting using semi programmed aperture priority mode
- per room 8 snapshots based on my rotator
- using my wireless trigger to shoot
- a location may have 4 - 6 rooms to shoot from middle (or as close) of room

Basically the scope of my job I believe is pretty straight forward. Training on using the rotator is provided.

I hope my above description is clear as there are many technical terms I am not familiar with.

Cients usually don't care how you shoot, but what you deliver.

So how much is worth for what you give to your client and how much efforts you put in and it cost you?

You mentioned that there will be training on using the rotator?? Meaning you have not done a pano-shoot before? Shooting a 360º pano-tour (HUGE diff from a normal 180º pano) is not as easy as just mounting a fisheye (and knowing which types of fisheye to use), shifting the rotator and click. Will you be doing the post-process stitching? Be prepared to go back back and re-shoot again till you can get all images right for seamless stitching (which will be another day of shoot).

Hi, sorry for the late reply and apologies for my incomplete posting as I too have no idea what to define. But thanks to your replies I roughly know what to state.

My objective is to take virtual tour images. The photos are such:

2 type of shoots
Type 1 - normal point and shoot
- using aperture priority or auto mode
- my DSLR with default lens
- take 2-3 picture per room

Type 2 - virtual tour
- using my tripod and rotator
- my DSLR/ fish eye lens
- shooting using semi programmed aperture priority mode
- per room 8 snapshots based on my rotator
- using my wireless trigger to shoot
- a location may have 4 - 6 rooms to shoot from middle (or as close) of room

Basically the scope of my job I believe is pretty straight forward. Training on using the rotator is provided.

I hope my above description is clear as there are many technical terms I am not familiar with.

Coincidentally I just had hanged out with a local photographer for breakfast earlier and he specializes in VR tour photography.

One project is between $6000 to $10000 depending on scale, complexity and package. This is obviously some speciality work and photographer is already an experienced interior photographer to begin with. Proprietary software programs and licensing may be used to host such tours and backend support signed for period of time chargable. Be sure you and your client understand what both parties are getting into before both jumping in blind and ending up point fingers at each other.

Hope you are properly insured not to mess up coz the allocation of time for the shoot means interruption to clients' normal business operation and failure means unnecessary loss of income for the client. For a big name client that could easily mean tens of thousands of dollars per day if they pursue.

Last edited:
I believe you are doing interior property shoot which seams like you don't really have any prior experience. Suggest you don't take up the assignment and instead train yourself shooting and stitching in your own apartment, which you will then know what are the difficulties and be able to price yourself better in the future.

You mentioned that there will be training on using the rotator?? Meaning you have not done a pano-shoot before? Shooting a 360º pano-tour (HUGE diff from a normal 180º pano) is not as easy as just mounting a fisheye (and knowing which types of fisheye to use), shifting the rotator and click. Will you be doing the post-process stitching? Be prepared to go back back and re-shoot again till you can get all images right for seamless stitching (which will be another day of shoot).

To an uninformed client it's as easy as pressing a shutter button. What's so hard?

To an enthuasiatic newbie photographer eager to pick up jobs, one is prudent to research properly first. When in doubt buy the most expensive gear and blame it.

To an uninformed client it's as easy as pressing a shutter button. What's so hard?

To an enthuasiatic newbie photographer eager to pick up jobs, one is prudent to research properly first. When in doubt buy the most expensive gear and blame it.

Haaaa, that's the No.1 idiotic mindset of client whom 90% were fed by those naive "own-a-cam = can-get-paid-jobs-newbies".

Let's take a look at this scenario:

a) Free or dirt cheap with little/no experience newbies, took the job and can't deliver - Screwed + name tarnished AND might even need to pay compensation to client.
b) Client paid peanuts to get (a) for projects - Screwed + but still will look for other FREE/CHEAP goondus.

If we can't "educate" those cheapos clients, please, make a stand and walk off rather than be a real goondus and brought nothing but trouble to one of the favourite hobby that you had started to love and wished to continue for a long time.

Hi,

Thanks again for the replies.

I had done quite a few virtual tour shoots and they are so far alright ;)

As for the equipment and software I have them all. Just that I can't be running all over to take them physically thus I would like to understand from you guys who are more in tune to the market to share you opinion for such an ad-hoc job how much it would cost.

Actually I just need a beginner photographer will do. :)