Understanding M,A,S and P Mode in Nikon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for ur advice bro kaikibbler.

The reason is i see the shadow spots on the screen but it doesn't effect the photos.
As you say, there is something wrong with me and need to learn much more.
But why I want to buy D90 is my D40x only supports AF S. It's the problem. I have tried with manual mode but it needs a lot of patience.
Thanks again for your information.

Thanks for ur advice bro kaikibbler.

The reason is i see the shadow spots on the screen but it doesn't effect the photos.
As you say, there is something wrong with me and need to learn much more.
But why I want to buy D90 is my D40x only supports AF S. It's the problem. I have tried with manual mode but it needs a lot of patience.
Thanks again for your information.

Er I suppose you're talking about manual focusing, not manual mode.

In any case, please fully utilise your D40x first.

ya bro calebk. It's manual focusing. Thanks for correcting me.
I am trying to get most of it.

Since you're just learning about photography and your camera, it seems better to master the camera body you have now versus getting a second body. There are already x number of steps and having to learn something extra will just add more steps to an already large list. As your skills grow, you'll understand more about what you appreciate in your camera equipement and your future decisions will fit your requirements more versus diving in and getting a second body now.

Sure Dear Folks, I won't sell my cam. next few months, I'll buy D90 body and then I can use without changing lens. Btw, I am confusing about choosing D90 and D200 coz i m feeling the auto, auto without flash, child, portrait, landscspe or like that are seem to be a bit childish.
Any suggesting Please.

u dont understand the creative mode, but u find picture mode childish?:confused:

may i know, how have u been taking photos? since u dont use picture mode and cant use creative mode?:confused:

may i know how are ur pictures turning out?:think:

r u buying camera base on the printings on the command dials or r u buying them to take photos?

Last edited:
The reason is i see the shadow spots on the screen but it doesn't effect the photos. [...]
It's the problem. I have tried with manual mode but it needs a lot of patience.

So you want to sell cause you see spots in viewfinder? So you'll also sell your car cause windscreen is dirty?
Patience is something you need to get, really. Even if you are into sports, birding or other disciplines where fast shutter speed is required, patience is still necessary. Use the time for focusing also to check your composition.

if you find the D90's auto-scene modes childish, just use black marker to cover them! Will certainly ruin the resale value, that's all.
Honestly, they're there just as extra choices, since D90 is sometimes purchased as a first DSLR. So those newbies would appreciate such features.
Don't like, just don't use la.

D200 is much much older than D90. It's probably more solidly-built, but that's about it.
I give thumbs up to D90!

if you ask a photographer, you may get a recommendation go for D200 but not D90, just for manual lens support and metering, and some more D200 got 4 focus area modes vs 3 on D80/90/300/700/3.

only thing not very good will be the noise level D200 is high

Last edited:
Changing lens has nothing nothing nothing to do with the sensor. In my opinion, buying a new D90 will be a complete waste of money if you're not yet able to use the D40x fully.

If you don't mind wasting money, then go ahead and buy. Save our economy. Buy D3X better.

I like that!:thumbsup:

bro denniskee,

It's just my opinion, bro. At first I am feeling like that because of comparing my cam and D300. Now I know the reason because normally I use these modes rather than M A S P. As for me, M A S P are difficult to control. That's why I want to expert at them.
I start shooting for just 2 months and just still wandering around.
I am trying to take as I see, it's my wish.
Please visit my blog, some of the fonts u will not able to see coz it's myanmar font.
www.zayaroo.wordpress.com.
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
if you ask a photographer, you may get a recommendation go for D200 but not D90, just for manual lens support and metering, and some more D200 got 4 focus modes vs 3 on D80/90/300/700/3.

only thing not very good will be the noise level D200 is high

I suppose you mean a professional photographer, with a large assortment of lenses... because if we all take photos, aren't we all photographers?
Hmmm ok I agree with you there.

btw what is this fourth focus mode on the D200 that the others don't have?

TS - if u feeling rich then go buy that D90 and a 2nd body, but for sure u will not be getting any better with your photography.

dust getting into the mirror box area are common, just need to take care and try to alway point the camera downwards while changing lens to minimise the dust. seriously the 1st thing u should be doing is to learn the basic fundamental of photography.

1. Aperture - what is it? how does it control the amount of light entering your camera

2. Shutter - why picture tend to be blur at certain speed, why object in picture is blur while background is ok. how can shutter speed counter all this kind of issue?

3. ISO - how u can use ISO to complement the Aperture and Shutter to achieve a proper exposed image?

the basic u can either go read, read already go experiment (use object/family menber at home and shot) else find friend who have good grasp of their camera ability to teach you the basics.

Thanks bro nixontkl.
For cleaning the mirror box, can I do it by myself or do I need to go to NSC? coz goin' there i hav to spend 60 or something.

Thanks bro nixontkl.
For cleaning the mirror box, can I do it by myself or do I need to go to NSC? coz goin' there i hav to spend 60 or something.

simple method is to flip up the mirror using the cleaning mode and use a blower to try and blow the dust off. if blower doesnt work then u need more advance cleaning which for most ppl is dont try, go NSC better as it will involve u using object to physically touch your low pass filter covering your sensor. not something u should do if u dont know how to do.

I'll buy D90 body and then I can use without changing lens << this is my problem of changing 2 lens recently. Normally, I use 18-135mm lens but when I want to shoot far away, I have to change to 70-300mm. So it's not good for my camera's sensor, I think. that's why I want to use 2 cameras handy and fast for future use. Lately, I am so ambitious about photography and I am now beginning from here.

Thanks very much for all of the clear and sharp answers.

Then what happens when you get a third lens? You want to react fast, invest time in mastering the controls and settings, not get another body.

We change of lenses when the need arises. We clean the sensor when it gets dirty. Its part of maintaining a DSLR, you'll get the hang of it eventually. Don't get bogged down by trivial matters like how "childish" or "non childish" the modes are, if they give you what you need, use them.

I suppose you mean a professional photographer, with a large assortment of lenses... because if we all take photos, aren't we all photographers?
Hmmm ok I agree with you there.

btw what is this fourth focus mode on the D200 that the others don't have?

compare the body back side D1/D2/D200 has a 4 selectable switch--AF area mode single/dynamic/group dynamic/dynamic with closest priority, D3/300/700/80/90 only has 3 position 9 single/dynamic/dynamic with closest priority, and on D80/90 need go into menu to switch, i think

sorry missed "area"

Last edited:
compare the body back side D1/D2/D200 has a 4 selectable switch, D3/300/700/80/90 only has 3 position

think what other CS-er want to know is what is the forth mode?

1. AF-S - focus once
2. AF-A - auto select focus point
3. AF-C - continous adjust focusing distance of the selected point
4. ???? (Manual focus???)

now with D300, D700, D3, D3x, D90 got 3D tracking focusing (dont think D200 time got such function)

It's something called Group Dynamic AF (as compared to single point, dynamic area, auto-area, 3D tracking), which sounds like basically auto-area AF with only the middle 5 focus points (center, above/below center, left/right of center). Is it useful? Don't know never used it.

Please go and read a bit more. What exactly do you want to clean in the mirror box? Either you have some dust on the focusing screen / viewfinder or you have it on the sensor. Only the dust on the sensor will affect your images. Search the forum, plenty of information and external links available. If you feel uncomfortable then go and see NSC. Don't try false bravery and end up with replacing the mirror or other parts.

A bit harsh on the comments I think...

Some people may not be able to compose perfect statements when writing or speaking that's why it will look or sound illogical or too straight forward for us.

Not to be preachy here but please have a broader understanding of what the TS is asking the forum. If he is really not in the correct forum then point him to the correct area. People are suppose to be encouraging the interest of photography here not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.