Understanding equipments for D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr|ever

Nov 3, 2002
Visit site
I've juz switched from a prosumer camera to a DSLR (D70) not too long ago. And now I'm seeing new (new to me) things like lens & advance external flashes (all those i-TTL or whatever).

I'm really keen to learn more about these things, but I dun really know where to start. Searching through the forums, I do see a lot of infos about them. But because I'm really quite new to all these, I couldn't really understand what they're talking about.

Anyone can gimmie a website or an article talking about these things, specifically lens & external flashes. I'd be so grateful! :)

Gr|ever said:
I've juz switched from a prosumer camera to a DSLR (D70) not too long ago. And now I'm seeing new (new to me) things like lens & advance external flashes (all those i-TTL or whatever).

I'm really keen to learn more about these things, but I dun really know where to start. Searching through the forums, I do see a lot of infos about them. But because I'm really quite new to all these, I couldn't really understand what they're talking about.

Anyone can gimmie a website or an article talking about these things, specifically lens & external flashes. I'd be so grateful! :)

What do you want to specifically know about lenses? Nikon lens technology? Reviews of Nikon lenses?

A few good site:
Bjørn Rørslett lens evaluation
Thom Hogan's site

...you can try the libraries. I was just at the new Jurong East Regional Library and they have a good set of books on photography. You can try Bukit Batok's, the one at Taka or even the one @ Marine Pde. Books are good in the sense that it's less straineous on the eyes and you can read anywhere, anytime etc...

Alternatively, just go to any search engine, type in your request and you'll find good sites.

Cheers

One book I'd recommend would be John Shaw's Nature Photography Handbook. Good info and easy to read. If your local library has it, then good, if not you can get it from Borders for $49.95

You bought a Ferrari and don't know how to start the engine?

Minoxman said:

I've noticed you hardly have anything nice to say, always injecting irritating comments which do not help anyone at all. If you're not contributing, why not just shut the hell up?

Hi,

Yes, do your homework like reading books and some of the good websites suggested by some of the members above.

And, how about meeting up with some friendly members of the Nikon Council in person and ask your questions and maybe even have a play with the stuff you mentioned like specific lenses and flashes like SB800 and SB600? Nothing like touching and playing with the real thing and listening to first hand experience from experienced members.

:)

Minoxman said:
I hope that indicates that you can walk the moment you were born and know how to feed and clothe yourself.

I'm truly amazed... :eek:

espn said:
I hope that indicates that you can walk the moment you were born and know how to feed and clothe yourself.

I'm truly amazed... :eek:
You mean you don't?

Gymrat76 said:
I've noticed you hardly have anything nice to say, always injecting irritating comments which do not help anyone at all. If you're not contributing, why not just shut the hell up?

Relax lah. School holiday season can usually expect things like this in forums one. Schools are re-opening soon liao lah.

Ok put in something constructive.
1. write down what equipment you have now.
2. think what kind of photos you want to take. (landscape, people, still life etc)
2. figure out the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and iso speed. (ignore the flash at this moment)
3. take a few shots and analyse the photos. (you can take the same shots with diff aperture, diff shutter speed and see the difference yourself)
4. figure out other settings on D70 ie white balance, sharpness, hue, etc.

At least you would get the thing started this way.....

Gr|ever, first things first.. welcome to the world of Nikon DSLR's. opens the world to new level of anticipation and photography.. and if you are not carefully.. and big hole in your pocket and an empty bank account.. (right Dennis?)

I am assuming that you had gotten the D70 with the 18-70 AF-S DX lens. This is a good lens (a good balance of value $$ for performance). Covering everything from landscapes, to portraiture.. to even just simple candid stuff (reportage/street).

There are many resources to read on the net about technology like what is AFS.. or VR.. or i-TTL. The 2 websites listed by Justarius will help you with this..

I am sure there are certain areas of photography that you are interested in.. and once this is identified.. then we can help by making relations between those subjects of interest and how to use or what to use to produce the better or best results.

Anyhow.. have fun.. the D70 is a great camera..

Alternatively drop by the Nikon council for a coffee and you can have a sharing session by some of the many experienced members there :)

I promise not to go Buy buy BUY!!! ;p

espn said:
Alternatively drop by the Nikon council for a coffee and you can have a sharing session by some of the many experienced members there :)

I promise not to go Buy buy BUY!!! ;p

Just stay away from Dennis, or he'll start showing you all his lenses and stuff, and make you BUY BUY BUY! :bsmilie:

Gymrat76 said:
Just stay away from Dennis, or he'll start showing you all his lenses and stuff, and make you BUY BUY BUY! :bsmilie:

oh no.. now have..

dennis-d'menace.VVBuyzz.W32 virus as well..

thought only

sportschannelwannabe.VVBuzz.W32

I never say buy buy buy leh. I not espn lah. :dunno:

Gymrat76 said:

Mmm Gr|ever, go slow. The more you know the more you will buy !! :D

Gr|ever said:

Dennis said:
I never say buy buy buy leh. I not espn lah. :dunno:
:what: BUY BUY BUY why BUY BUY BUY suddenly BUY BUY BUY I BUY BUY BUY kena BUY BUY BUY mention BUY BUY BUY before... BUY BUY BUY I'm BUY BUY BUY a BUY BUY BUY very BUY BUY BUY good BUY BUY BUY person BUY BUY BUY who BUY BUY BUY doesn't BUY BUY BUY go BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.