Understanding equipments for D70

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL I am too old to be apprentice and not good enough to be master so I am getting out already. :bsmilie: There can only be ONE master, OK espn you are the apprentice already.

gadrian said:
Hmm.. but the can only be two.. a master and an apprentice.. so either Dennis is the Master and Espn is the apprentice.. or..

Gr|ever said:
Anyone can gimmie a website or an article talking about these things, specifically lens & external flashes. I'd be so grateful! :)

The dinky little flash on board the D70 may well cover 100% of what you take picture of.

There is an virus floating around people fiddle with cameras too much as opposed to using them. It call equipment lust. Many people are infected - I am hardly immune to this but over time have learned to live with the condition. 9-)

I would suggest you consider what you want to do with your new camera... in specific what kind of pictures are you interested in taking more off ? Unless what you have cannot handle ie if you have the kit lens then taking pictures of birds in the wild is probably out unless you are a world class outdoor person and can within 2 to 4 meters to a bird in the wild.

Photos can be made bear minimum equipment. If you need technology to bridge the skill and knowledge gap then it may be time to practice and learn more. The advantage of digital is that you can take more pictures and shoot and reshoot in the field until you think you got the shot in the card.

Eh... thanx all for sharing! Now I've got quite a bit of stuff to read!

I juz got the D70 not too long ago. Other equipments I have is a CF cards & a flimsy, but usable tripod. I dun even have a spare battery for the camera. :embrass:

I'm more in to potraiture, landscape & macro. For potraiture & macro, I guess I'd be needing an external flash. Have to BUY sooner or later.

Not everyone need a external flash for portraiture. You can make use of sun light, reflector, diffusor, etc. More natural looking result.

If you have spare can get the PC 85mm.
2 in 1 can do macro to 1:2 and nice for portraiture as well not to mention the TS function.

Gr|ever said:

I juz got the D70 not too long ago. Other equipments I have is a CF cards & a flimsy, but usable tripod. I dun even have a spare battery for the camera. :embrass:

I'm more in to potraiture, landscape & macro. For potraiture & macro, I guess I'd be needing an external flash. Have to BUY sooner or later.

I agree with Astin that you do not necessarily need a flash for portraiture. With a 50mm 1.4 or even a 1.8, it is possible to get nice results indoors without flash. Another advantage of not using flash is the possibility of using the "burst" mode without the subject feeling very "blinded" - thus having a very natural look throughout.

espn said:
Alternatively drop by the Nikon council for a coffee and you can have a sharing session by some of the many experienced members there :)

I promise not to go Buy buy BUY!!! ;p

Hi ESPN,

I'm new with D70 .. so where nikon council is?

:)

The NC meets almost every evening at Spinelli's Cafe in Peninsular Plaza

The Nikon Council resembles the Black Hole. Once you step your foot inside, you can never get out..... :devil:

Astin said:
The Nikon Council resembles the Black Hole. Once you step your foot inside, you can never get out..... :devil:
It's a black hole with warmth shown to Nikon users :devil:

So just attend and be suck into this black hole??
Also a new D70 user...wouldnt mind trying the differnet lens that the 'concil' members have to have afeel before getting a telezoom and at the same time get intune with the cam!!!
SO how to get into this club?? got bouncers??

NC gathering everyday ah? I thought only on certain days. Hmm.. If everyday, can pop in when I pass by there. :)

Minoxman said:
You bought a Ferrari and don't know how to start the engine?

yea so its like, u went to school without getting an education in the end!!! Grow up and start being respectful to others!!!!! ;(

sujj, please... by replying to polarbears, cashes, and minoxes, you're only encouraging them (actually him, since it's the same person) to grow. Trolls are abundant and like idiots, they grow on trees, ignoring them is a better option as trolls and idiots feed and yearn for attention, be it intentional or unintentional ;)

Anyway, NC tomorrow evening anybody? :)

Gr|ever said:

I am assuming that you have some interest but not the training or the required reading, practice and review to reach some degree of understanding in these areas.

The kit lens could handle most conventional landscape stuff, the potraiture work it would cover at least 2/3 of most situtations..... Marco hmmm if it has the limited marco function it could handle part of it - if not putting on a 6T - 2 element close up attachement (although if memory serves the lens is 67 while 6T is 62 recomposing to use the small field of view would still allow you do get into some areas of macro work - if you find that your interest and talent lies in that direction I suspect that a 60 or 105 or 200mm macro would be your lens purchase. Grin no one is getting my 55 micro out of my hands - unless I am ashes.... cannot say the same about the 180 macro. Hmmm to subsitute for a flash for macro you could use a flashlight. Try to think out of the box to get another solution to the issue.

Available light is normally easier to control for newbies - flash has a tendency to go or get into where it is not want. The control of flash is very much an acquired skill by that I mean using flash without it become intruse in the picture.

You probably need another CF card before you need another lens or a flash - that is my guess.

Enjoy your new tool.

Gymrat76 said:
The NC meets almost every evening at Spinelli's Cafe in Peninsular Plaza
I think I'll go to one of these NC meets one day... when I eventually come back to S'pore for my long overdue visit!

SzennyBoy said:
I think I'll go to one of these NC meets one day... when I eventually come back to S'pore for my long overdue visit!

Yes, SzennyBoy, please do give me a tinkle and join us at the NC when you are back. I owe you a coffee remember?

gadrian said:
Yes.. my avatar is the Kingfisher I took.. on Tuesday afternoon.. uncropped.. that is the original image.. just resize to be 100x76 thats all..

Adrian, would like to see the Avtar pic in full... very nice snap.

Cheers
Kishan

Status
Not open for further replies.