Underexposed photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ub1978

Feb 11, 2007
Dear Experienced / Experts,

First time used a Hoya CPL with Tamron 17-50mm on EOS 400D. The photos were heavily underexposed with a reddish cast .. it was a bright sunny day though.

I used Av mode throughout .. between f8 and f11. Used evaluative metering. the photos i am talking about do not have a contrasty situation like shade and sun together.. even the beach photo w/o any shadow area came out very underexposed...

Can someone pls advise what I should do to get the correct exposure ?

Many thanks in advance.

you use f8-f11 throughout on a sunny day?

you should probably decrease the f-value, to probably f4.5-f5.6.

First time used a Hoya CPL with Tamron 17-50mm on EOS 400D. The photos were heavily underexposed with a reddish cast .. it was a bright sunny day though.

I used Av mode throughout .. between f8 and f11. Used evaluative metering. the photos i am talking about do not have a contrasty situation like shade and sun together.. even the beach photo w/o any shadow area came out very underexposed...

Many thanks in advance.

perhaps u might want to try manual mode to manually set the shutter speed as well to get the correct EV....otherwise increase the EV b4 u shoot.

pic? :think:

Many thanks in advance.

ya, some pics will help. together with your settings. for example did you have Av (aperture priority) + f/11 + eval metering giving an exposure stated as "lo" on your panel?

Many thanks in advance.

There is no reason why you can't use F8 or smaller aperture even on a shady day. But if your camera is set to aperture priority or auto, the shuttle speed will be way too slow for your camera to be hand held. I'm not a Canon user so I don't know what Av mode is but I believe you might have done something wrong when you took the shots or your camera meter might be faulty. Without more information such as shutter speed, flash usage and the under exposed pics to view, there's nothing much anybody can do to help I'm afraid.

Mike
ps. The polarizer you used will also effectively cut 2 stops of light from hitting your CCD sensor.

ps. The polarizer you used will also effectively cut 2 stops of light from hitting your CCD sensor.

by right, the evaluative metering would have compensated back that with a longer exposure. only a spot/centre weighted metering thru a clear zone of a grad filter, may have not compensated that.

Many thanks for your interest and ideas. I will post couple of photos after I get to know how to do that.

I probably found out my mistake after looking at the technical details.. the photos that were heavily underexposed were taken with Partial Metering in Av mode and I had metered on grayish objects under the sun. And I had set up Exposure Comp of -1/3 and -2/3 .. should have been + values :confused:

I feel the photos should be technicall correct first and then I can concentrate more on the composition part of it ... these photos were a mess :cry:

for a bright sunny day (f16), after using a CPL filter (2~2 1/2 stops), you still able to have f8.

the bottom line is, know how metering works, and you can always override the setting if your meter fools you. use manual mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.