Under the Bridge

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
7630_262419070253_862380253_9031856_4214339_n.jpg

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum to learn more about photography and understand where I stand in the beginner world.

Here's my first photography that I would like to ask to be critiqued on. Took this beside starbucks at the Merlion Park.

Was using my friend's Canon 400D camera as I can't afford my own back then. Wasn't really understanding about compositions or lights before taking this picture.

I hope you guys can tell me what you think of the composition of this particular photo. And what can I do to better potray the lines and shapes in the picture. And is my perspective on this photo correct? Or is it better to take it directly in the middle.

Thanks guys!

PS. I'm a beginner taking photos without much knowledge about camera functions. :embrass:

Recalling not too far back, someone had taken similar picture at this location and won a national award, something like Best Architectural photography award. ( correct me if i'm wrong )

Certainly, that picture was well composed and exposed and also was done in the evening.

So, now roughly do you know where you stand ?

Under the bridge....:bsmilie:

Recalling not too far back, someone had taken similar picture at this location and won a national award, something like Best Architectural photography award. ( correct me if i'm wrong )

Certainly, that picture was well composed and exposed and also was done in the evening.

Har! That's so OMG-ish. Someone should award the bridge for being a good architecture. hehe.

Hmm. I'm still keen to learn more about composition and stuff. What I think about myself is i can take a pretty okay photograph, BUT i just dont know how to adjust the setting of the camera, which usually leads me to using AUTO.

And it's actually taken during the day, as u can see the bright sun coming in through the sides. The time of the day under the bridge is always evening though. hehe.

And I just realised that the reflection of the waters upon the ceiling of the bridge put some great texture if taken in the morning.

Thanks for the comment yeah. Hope someone here to enlighten me more about what i can do to improve this photograph.

Photography is basically all about experimentation, as for a beginner.

Take some time to shoot a picture when/where you find it is interesting.
Preferably set the camera on tripod. Make a series of exposures by mixing up different combination of settings, make note of every shot. Disregard what the camera's recommendation. But also do a few shot by using the auto setting.

Back on the screen, just lay out /tile them all if possible, without going for any further stage of manipulation or photoshop adjustment.

Compare them side by side and look for the one which you are most satisfied or which you think is the ideal shot or nearest to what you are expecting. So this will be the combination you will use in future to achieve this kind of result.

Continue to explore for other subject, same goes to composition too, eventually , you will arrived with a set of formulas of which you will like...this will eventually be your style or your signature shot in future.

As for instance, this underside of bridge, some might like to use heavy neutral density filter plus graduated filter plus polariser etc to extend the exposure time to a few minutes so as to achieve silky, or cloudy effect of the water. It will enhance the tranquil feeling, especially shoot during the twilight hour.

Last edited:

young architectural photographer's award (YAPA) 2008.

the other shot was la salle, i think.

there was a slight tilt in that picture, actually.

here what you could exploit is symmetry. stand in the dead centre, and try to get a symmetrical view.

right now, you are not dead-centre, that is fine sometimes, but i thought here it made the photograph look very messy. there is also a lack of balance as a result, with the right structure dominating the frame.

do you think it is better without the things on the right and left? perhaps a vertical framing or shooting to crop this afterward would be a better alternative.

So now the next stage will be to explore and understand " composition " and then " lighting ".

Logically speaking.." lighting " should have come first, as when there isn't any light, there will be no picture at all, disregard what equipment you own.

A simple way is...start right from your home... shot a subject from window and another near to the window, do not worried about the subject matter as this is meant for study and learning purposes.

Pick a day which you can stay in all day long..start the first image at say 6.00 am with shot at hourly interval, continue till 8.00pm. Again splash them all on the screen, and you should have a good reference and comparison shots to find out what is the best time which provide the best lighting effect for your subject.

You should have 15 shots of window view subject and
15 shots of subject near to window.

This assignment should keep you busy for a day.
By no means this is complete, it is just a fraction of the subject about Lighting.

Last edited:
the patterns are really nice..Symmetrical wud be even nicer....;p

You can try P mode with either 'Auto' or 'Sun' for white balance. Ensure symmetry in the picture. Adjust to lowest ISO and shoot if the camera is on tripod. If not using tripod, adjust ISO until shutter speed number is greater than your focal length. Try this and re-post the picture. Enjoy.