Under a Bridge

JianWei

Aug 23, 2010
5011244407_f12bab535c.jpg

Under a Bridge​

In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and exposure.

What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To show the symmetry of the lights under the bridge.

Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
18-55mm kit lens off my 550d. no filters were used.

What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
I like it very much but hope to improve more!

Thank you everybody. Hope to learn more about photography as i'm new and i'm just a student.

Last edited:
Personally I like the colours of the bridge but I find the lights too distracting :/

the lights...
stole the attention

Personally I like the colours of the bridge but I find the lights too distracting :/

hmmmmm what do you mean by this? i dont really understand! LOL. is it that the lights are too outstanding?

you should post a version without the BIG watermark...

and yes the lights are too dramatic~!

okay! maybe its not a good picture after all. i shall do better next time! thanks for the critique:)

hmmmmm what do you mean by this? i dont really understand! LOL. is it that the lights are too outstanding?

Same feeling ..too bright.. cover the reddess... Also your watermark too big... Just my op

okay! maybe its not a good picture after all. i shall do better next time! thanks for the critique:)

Personally, I thought the focus should be on the symmetry of the structure. However since you wanted to achieve the symmetry of the lights, you've gotten what you want. However maybe the red light is a bit too catchy maybe because the bridge on the left and right are very dark.

Last edited:
will pictures get stolen if i do not put the watermarks on? LOL. i'll improve more next time.

will pictures get stolen if i do not put the watermarks on? LOL. i'll improve more next time.

hmm.. i think they are just telling you to put it more discretely..
instead of having it sprawling all over your pic :sweat:

To me, key subject of your pic: Watermark, accentuated by the 2 overpowering spotlights. The bridge pales in comparison.

This composition is not an uncommon one, perhaps you can look at others' approaches if you wish to learn. I find yours to be too contrasty, causing the bridge to lose details into the darkness.

Not if you post such small versions of the pic... you can make the watermark big, just not that big and in such a central location, and so opaque that it hinders the viewers.

You could have easily avoided the glaring lights problem by opting for a portrait orientation. cutting out both lights from the frame.

alright thanks alot for the critique:)

Huge watermark aside (that is an easily fixed problem), it has already been said, the white lights at the side are too glaring. It's only natural that eyes are inevitably attracted to the brightest object in the scene if the difference in brightness between elements in the photo is great, such as in this photo. That takes away quite a bit from the original intention of showing the symmetry of the bridge-

But that leads to the second problem- in my opinion, the bridge is barely recognisable as a bridge. If I didn't walk past this bridge a number of times and recognized the place from the many photos of the place on CS, I wouldn't know it was a bridge at all. Did you consider shooting in the morning or afternoon when the lights were turned off? It would have helped a lot, in this case, if your aim of the photo is to showcase the bridge's symmetry and nothing else.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Actually seriously, when one shoots at this angle, he no longer sees this as a bridge: it has turned into a piece of abstract art.

TS, you need to make up your mind what this image is... if its a photo, make sure its 3D. (i.e. move to the left or right so there is perspective.

If its art, may I suggest post process it crazier so no one can tell what it is... yet it is beautiful by itself. :)

I'm not a pro but, I think it'll look better if u crop away the bright lights at the side.

The red lighted portion in the middle of the pic looks attractive to me, but the 2 bright white lights gives me a "it's so glaring!" kind of feel haha.

Just my 2 cents :)

Upon re-reading your intentions of this photo, you said you want to showcase the symmetry of the lights.

In that aspect, you have succeeded. The lights are undoubtably symmetrical.

But, if all you care about are the lights (and I wouldn't say there is anything glaringly wrong with that), then here are 2 suggestions:

1. Crop off the top and focus on the lights instead. Assuming you are solely showcasing the lights, then most of the bridge in the top half of the is redundant to the composition of the photo.

2. Change your title. 'Under the bridge' does not concur with what you are trying to acheive with your photo.

Hope this helps. :)