Undecided Canon EOS M or LUMIX GF6?

angeric39

Aug 19, 2013
SINGAPORE
Hi,

Currently I am using Canon S95 and would like to upgrade to the next level something like Canon EOS M or Lumix GF6.

I am undecided if I should get a Canon EOS M or Lumix GF6 ? As I understand, Canon EOS M has better specs than Lumix GF6.

Any advice would be very much welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

Currently I am using Canon S95 and would like to upgrade to the next level something like Canon EOS M or Lumix GF6.

I am undecided if I should get a Canon EOS M or Lumix GF6 ? As I understand, Canon EOS M has better specs than Lumix GF6.

Any advice would be very much welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Er... no... EOS M doesn't had better spec as GF6... Neither is GF6 having better spec than EOS-M.

The main different is that EOS-M is using an APS-C sensor (almost the same as found in 650D), GF6 is using a m4/3 sensor. Both should be about the same size, GF6 had excess to a wider number of native lenses (both Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 lenses) while EOS-M only had 3 or 4 native lenses but with adapter it can be fitted with huge number of EF and EF-S lenses, but autofocus with that combination can be quite vomittingly slow.

I would still urge you to go down to the shop and test both camera up. See which one make more sense to you, then get that one.

Thank you so much for replying. Appreciate it.

Eos m if you want to upgrade to canon full frame in the future, then you can use the lens too.

GF6 is also a good choice because of the wide variety of cheaper lenses and is good for beginners wanting to use interchangeable lens cameras.

i hated the EOS M when i reviewed it last year (read my EOS M review if you like) - so I'd say go for the GF6, out of the two here. Out of the recent mirrorless cameras I've tried, I really liked the Sony NEX 3N - great for the price. My review will give you more info on it. Sorry for posting many of my own blog's links here but i think it'll help TS :)

No worries. All advice are welcome and appreciated. It would help me in my decision.

Eos m if you want to upgrade to canon full frame in the future, then you can use the lens too.

GF6 is also a good choice because of the wide variety of cheaper lenses and is good for beginners wanting to use interchangeable lens cameras.

U can't. EOS-M mount is totally different from EF mount. Unless you get an adapter for your EOS-M which then will allow EF and EF-S lenses.

Anyway, I would add some money to my budget and get myself an EPL6 if I were you or get Canon 100D, handling of the DSLR and almost the size of a mid size mirrorless camera.

Last edited:

I don't think a full frame Canon DSLR can make use of the EF-M lenses that comes with EOS M. Unless you get all EF lenses with adapter for the EOS M, but that wouldn't reallly make sense in getting a mirrorless camera unless you already have a Canon DSLR in the 1st place.

As mentioned by some, go try out both cameras at the shop, and see which rock your boat. Your photography wouldn't suffer with either choice.

Anyway, I would add some money to my budget and get myself an EPL6 if I were you or get Canon 100D, handling of the DSLR and almost the size of a mid size mirrorless camera.

I would suggest an Olympus m4/3 too, like the EP5 or EPL5, as I value in-body image stabilization. I think only the new Panasonic GX-7 has stabilization.

Last edited:
Read up the specs for either systems.
Get to know the prevailing prices

Then more importantly go hands on and see which one you prefer.

Ryan

Yeah I was talking about the EF adaptor. IMO there's no point getting the EOS M without the adaptor - there's only 3 lenses available and isn't very worth it.

TS, may I (we) know why you shortlist this two and not any other comparable brands/models?

It would be better if u could list down the features that u r looking for in order of importance, and we may recommend accordingly. Of course you would still need to go to the physical stores to molest the cameras to see if it suits u or not.

For now, do look up on Sony NEX, Olympus PEN, canon 100D, and other Panasonic models. Depending on what u really want, Samsung NX and nikon1 models may suit ur tastes (thou I personally dun like them). I'll still avoid EOS M anytime.

I like Canon. Have bought and used Canon camers and lenses for more than 20 years.

But I have to tell you that the EOS M is a dog. It is horrible.

Never mind, it is Canon's first try at mirrorless digital compact. They will improve and make much better ones later on.

Canon should dare to make a full frame digital mirrorless camera that has the same EF mount as their EOS digital SLRs.

So owners can use their lenses without any need for adapters. Have to improve the AF ability of mirrorless digital camera and have in-built image stabilisation in the camera body.

I don't care if it is not compact/small anymore - as long as it is full frame and can use existing EF lenses without any need for adapter.

For the time being, look at Lumix GX-7.

Last edited:
Yes now I am also considering Sony Nex n3 but unfortunately it is not touch screen. I know Canon is known for the good pictures quality. As for Lumix, it will be first time I'm trying out.

Yes now I am also considering Sony Nex n3 but unfortunately it is not touch screen. I know Canon is known for the good pictures quality. As for Lumix, it will be first time I'm trying out.

Do ask yourself if you really need touch screen... Anyway, almost all newer entry lvl cameras of various brands have touchscreen now. For Sony, you can see the NEX 5R or the older 5N.

Not only canon is known for good image quality. Canon markets itself very well, which is why u may have only heard of canon n not others.

don't worry too much about the touchscreen. i usually avoid cameras with touch interfaces, somehow. i just find that for photography, good old buttons do the trick. the NEX 3N interface wasn't perfect, and yes, it doesn't have a touchscreen, but in every other department, it's very impressive. especially at the price

don't worry too much about the touchscreen. i usually avoid cameras with touch interfaces, somehow. i just find that for photography, good old buttons do the trick. the NEX 3N interface wasn't perfect, and yes, it doesn't have a touchscreen, but in every other department, it's very impressive. especially at the price

I agree with heshanj. I just got the sony nex 3n and am very impressed by the image quality at this price (i bought it at $650).

However, I do give credits to all the brands creating these mirrorless compacts - Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm, Samsung. They give us good alternative options to traditional dslrs.

angeric39: You may also wish to consider these before buying; budget, features that you need (or don't need), performance (e.g. auto focus speed), on what occasions will you bring & use your camera often, whether size & weight matter to you (best to try out the handling at stores), user friendliness.

Different people have different preferences. For me, I feel Sony (the nex series is my current fav), Olympus, Panasonic, Fujifilm make excellent mirrorless compacts at the moment. You can read online reviews for references. http://www.dpreview.com/

Hope this helps. :)

Yes in fact I will go down and try the Sony Nex 3 which I heard, has good quality pictures. Thanks for your advice.