Undecided between 50mm 1.8g and 35mm 1.8g

FuraCelest

Apr 2, 2011
Singapore
I own a d90. And im finally decided to get myself a prime lens. But im torn between 50mm 1.8g and 35mm 1.8g. And some even say i should get a 50mm 1.8D instead because im using a d90.

Im practically clueless and i dont wanna get the wrong thing. I did try to read up on the different lenses but all seems good and really not helping in the decision making.

Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

it depends on which focal length you shoot on most, however, if you are using for general purpose, i reckon 35mm would be a better bet, as it would be ~50mm on your d90

personally for me, i feel 50mm abit tight on crop, but ymmv

Set your kit lens to the two focal length and shoot some snaps. See which focal length you like more?

it depends on which focal length you shoot on most, however, if you are using for general purpose, i reckon 35mm would be a better bet, as it would be ~50mm on your d90

personally for me, i feel 50mm abit tight on crop, but ymmv

~80mm for crop, best for portrait.

FuraCelest said:
I own a d90. And im finally decided to get myself a prime lens. But im torn between 50mm 1.8g and 35mm 1.8g. And some even say i should get a 50mm 1.8D instead because im using a d90.

Im practically clueless and i dont wanna get the wrong thing. I did try to read up on the different lenses but all seems good and really not helping in the decision making.

Hi, the 50mm more on 30% you need for taken the portraits, cause the lens no offer for CRC = close up object, the minimum only allow at 45CM. But nice background bokeh at all time.

The 35mm DX has more you need on close up portraits, even like macro shoots or food & walkabout lens.
For my DX has usage on 100%, cause I don't worried about low light condition, just bring out the cam & lens and quick snap only.
But I don't said this lens won't be given nice bokeh?
Once you close up on the object or portrait and crop like 50mm on the background bokeh has offer the same as 50mm lens.

So my suggestion on 50mm at 30% usage at overall & 35mm you will enjoy on 70% overall usage.

If you really not confident for choosing the lens an you have the kit lens, please try to zoom stop at 35 & 50mm and see which distance do you need more..

Thanks

Last edited:
FuraCelest said:

Both the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G and the AF-S 50mm f/1.8G are fine lenses.

I think for sure is to avoid the AF 50mm f/1.8D. Anyone who uses both lenses can clearly discern which is the superior lens. Of course, if you follow my history, I never favored both the f/1.8D and the f/1.4D.

thanks all for the input.

rain5533 said:
Hi, the 50mm more on 30% you need for taken the portraits, cause the lens no offer for CRC = close up object, the minimum only allow at 45CM. But nice background bokeh at all time.

The 35mm DX has more you need on close up portraits, even like macro shoots or food & walkabout lens.
For my DX has usage on 100%, cause I don't worried about low light condition, just bring out the cam & lens and quick snap only.
But I don't said this lens won't be given nice bokeh?
Once you close up on the object or portrait and crop like 50mm on the background bokeh has offer the same as 50mm lens.

So my suggestion on 50mm at 30% usage at overall & 35mm you will enjoy on 70% overall usage.

If you really not confident for choosing the lens an you have the kit lens, please try to zoom stop at 35 & 50mm and see which distance do you need more..

Thanks

thanks for the advice i'll use my kit lens to decide which works better for me. so as u say the 35 mm will be better for money?

Blur Shadow said:
Both the AF-S 35mm f/1.8G and the AF-S 50mm f/1.8G are fine lenses.

I think for sure is to avoid the AF 50mm f/1.8D. Anyone who uses both lenses can clearly discern which is the superior lens. Of course, if you follow my history, I never favored both the f/1.8D and the f/1.4D.

alright then. so which did you prefer? the 35mm or the 50mm? i also read that such lens are used by amateurs and professionals alike. so would this be a good addition?
and would it be better to get the 50mm 1.4 instead? im quite concerned in dim setting will the 35mm do fine?

In the end its up to you on what you need.. both the 50mm and 35m f1.8 are excellent lens.. only that 35mm is DX, so if you want to move to FX in the future this needs to go.

In terms of focal length.. that one also only u can answer. One way to find out is to look at all your photos and see what focal length are most of them taken on.. this will give you a gauge on what focal length you are comfortable with.

But in any case.. ppl that need f1.4 are ppl that know what they want and are willing to pay the extra for it. While for me.. perfectly happy with f1.8 and the $$ saved.

FuraCelest said:
thanks all for the input.

thanks for the advice i'll use my kit lens to decide which works better for me. so as u say the 35 mm will be better for money?

alright then. so which did you prefer? the 35mm or the 50mm? i also read that such lens are used by amateurs and professionals alike. so would this be a good addition?
and would it be better to get the 50mm 1.4 instead? im quite concerned in dim setting will the 35mm do fine?

Not really due to money or budget, that is what you buy and enjoy your shoots style.

For me both I have, end up my DX still prefer on 35mm.

bomby929 said:
In the end its up to you on what you need.. both the 50mm and 35m f1.8 are excellent lens.. only that 35mm is DX, so if you want to move to FX in the future this needs to go.

In terms of focal length.. that one also only u can answer. One way to find out is to look at all your photos and see what focal length are most of them taken on.. this will give you a gauge on what focal length you are comfortable with.

But in any case.. ppl that need f1.4 are ppl that know what they want and are willing to pay the extra for it. While for me.. perfectly happy with f1.8 and the $$ saved.

I agree with you on the f1.4. It's really pricey. And whether am I gonna change to an Fx body only time will tell. I'm still pretty happy with my d90. So for me to decide between 35mm and 50mm I'm gonna try the length on my kit lens and I'll decide which I am most comfortable with.

By the way thanks all for all the advice and suggestions. Now I have an idea on how to decide which lens is suitable for my pocket and my needs.

rain5533 said:
Not really due to money or budget, that is what you buy and enjoy your shoots style.

For me both I have, end up my DX still prefer on 35mm.

Alright. Before I purchase either of the lens I will try it out first thanks for the tips.

all 3 lens mentioned are good lens and with good reviews.

i have the 50mm 1.8D and 35mm 1.8G. look at your budget too.

I prefer my 35mm and 85mm combo on DX format. If you have a kit lens, then maybe you can ask yourself if you tend to be at 35mm or 50mm.

go for 35mm... the 50mm on dx is not very useful in indoor shooting, so and so...

For example here which one you prefer?

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

28mm wide vs 42mm.

Take the 35mm f1.8G first.

all 3 lens mentioned are good lens and with good reviews.

i have the 50mm 1.8D and 35mm 1.8G. look at your budget too.

I prefer my 35mm and 85mm combo on DX format. If you have a kit lens, then maybe you can ask yourself if you tend to be at 35mm or 50mm.

go for 35mm... the 50mm on dx is not very useful in indoor shooting, so and so...

For example here which one you prefer?

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

28mm wide vs 42mm.

i prefer the 28mm... hmm.. can cover more area.. what is that term again?

Take the 35mm f1.8G first.

i think with all the reviews and advice from all of you awesome peeps, i have decided to get the 35mm 1.8g..

nikon sg put a price at $399. nice price.. but i wonder whats it gonna be like at the shops...

S$ 326 bought 3 months back from slrr@funan