unbranded extension tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafone

May 13, 2004
SGP
there seems to be an increasing trend of macro shooter within the pentax community... I am curious, so I thought of having some fun with it too. Sharing this out so that we all can learn together.

I just bought an K-mount extension tube from one of the ebay store for 20USD. Similar to my unbranded split screen (its working well), this is also one of the unbranded stuff from China. Initially, I thought that its some cheap skate plastic tube to do the extension trick. When I got the tube on friday, I find that all the five pieces of extension are quite well built. Full metal tube with tap screw threads. I wouldn't say that its anything of high precision, but its good enough not to have it struck in your camera bayont.

There are five pieces of metal parts, so that we can re-configure the length of the extension. the mount, the bayont, and three rings of different length.

WHY TUBE?
tube is a dirt cheap way to gain magnification factor without loosing/degrading image quality. The image quality will depend on the lens that you use with the tube. real macro lens is expensive, so it is naturally not within reach of everyone. Using close-up filter, teleconvertor will introduce glass element and degrade the picture to a certain point.

The tube allows me to go from minimum focusing distance of 45cm down to 10cm and below.. its interesting! BUT the downside of using tube is that the amount of light reaching the sensor is lesser and it will be difficult to take the snap handheld.

Here is how the tube looks..
blog_ext_tube_1.jpg

all the five pieces...
blog_ext_tube5_1.jpg

some initial test with the tube... (all five pieces mounted with M50/1.7 )
blog_ext_chip.jpg

blog_ext_robot.jpg

( this one above, i stopped down and it takes 5sec, eeiii.. look at the dust! )

the life scale...
blog_ext_stars.jpg

basically, the more tube you add, the closer and nearer you can get to your object...

cont..

behind the camera scene...
blog_ext_snap_chip_1.jpg

blog_ext_snap_robot.jpg

quite amazing.. have fun! hahaa.

cheerss...

Thanks for sharing bro. Might want to consider getting one to play with:bsmilie: BTW you might want to consider cleaning your sensor;)

Hi
Thanks for the informative explanation. Do include where to buy the extension tubes and the cost too! ;)
Based on your explanation on disadvantages, it would mean usage would definitely have to be on tripod? That means this would be quite inconvenient for insect macrophotography?

cheers..

Hi
Thanks for the informative explanation. Do include where to buy the extension tubes and the cost too! ;)
Based on your explanation on disadvantages, it would mean usage would definitely have to be on tripod? That means this would be quite inconvenient for insect macrophotography?

cheers..

price and where information are listed above.. click on the ebay store and it link to the ebay page. price is 20usd where you can see from the link.

its a little inconvenient with the lost of light. I've yet to try this out with my 540 flash.. i've no time for insect now.

Thanks for sharing bro. Might want to consider getting one to play with:bsmilie: BTW you might want to consider cleaning your sensor;)

haaaa.... it doesn't bother me. thkz.
ok, i'll try to clean when i have time.

Hi

cheers..

Hai,
Airconvent, I got mine from Goshotcamera ebay ie seller identity. Got it for US 14.95 plus shipping. It is from china make and functional. I think the same as Sefone, from the picture posted. Another avenue for macro but loss of light as explained by Seafone. Three pieces

For insects macro, this may not be practical cos of close distance needed.:)

otc

Actually, I also have the set of 3 bought off eBay....
Brought the 2 shorter ones to show during the last Pentax outing.... :D

thanks guys...

Alan : Haha...I was not interested in the tubes at the time..should have taken a second look but I was too distracted by the other lenses there! :)

Tube can be useful with less active insects like grasshopper (those hidding in flower), spiders, etc. Why Pentax never come out with a >2:1 macro lens in the past:think: :sticktong

Oh god... No....
I'll be happy just snapping flowers with no insects in them...

Oh god... No....
I'll be happy just snapping flowers with no insects in them...

Flower no problem lah. In case ppl don't know this, you can hold the flower so it's easier to take them;) But must know where to hold so the hand not in the shot:bsmilie:

If you can, try to get an extension tube with the coupling to allow automatic diaphragm operation and open aperture metering. It saves time and you don't have to stop down the aperture before shooting. Here's my Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K and a flower taken with it and a 100mm macro in front.

IMGP1790.jpg

IMGP1788.JPG

flower17.jpg

does it support AF??? or still manual focus.....

If you can, try to get an extension tube with the coupling to allow automatic diaphragm operation and open aperture metering. It saves time and you don't have to stop down the aperture before shooting. Here's my Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K and a flower taken with it and a 100mm macro in front.

Your that set is like 3-4 times more expensive leh...
Good investment for frequent macro shooters like longko I guess...
I think I need to play around with more macro photography before I decide if I wanna invest in that...

The quality of the metal tubes looks good especially for USD$20 :thumbsup: .
I unknowingly got a set of plastic ones... does it's job but it I dun like the feel.
I've since got a Vivitar 2X Macro which I just :lovegrin: ... if someone wants the plastic extension tubes, please PM me... sell cheaply.

Your that set is like 3-4 times more expensive leh...
Good investment for frequent macro shooters like longko I guess...
I think I need to play around with more macro photography before I decide if I wanna invest in that...
Er...I only paid S$50 for them... :thumbsup:
but then again any extension tube works on the same principle.

Er...I only paid S$50 for them... :thumbsup:
but then again any extension tube works on the same principle.

Creampuff, where did you get it from? Set of 3 for S$50 or just one?

Creampuff, where did you get it from? Set of 3 for S$50 or just one?
Yes, that's the price I paid for all 3 pieces. I happened to chance upon it in a small photo finishing shop in Chinatown area earlier this year. It was in a box lumped together with other old and used stuff. Anyway the tubes were supposed to come in a nice Pentax leatherette pouch but that was missing. Didn't even come with caps. Imagine, I couldn't even bargain... :bsmilie:

Yes, that's the price I paid for all 3 pieces. I happened to chance upon it in a small photo finishing shop in Chinatown area earlier this year. It was in a box lumped together with other old and used stuff. Anyway the tubes were supposed to come in a nice Pentax leatherette pouch but that was missing. Didn't even come with caps. Imagine, I couldn't even bargain... :bsmilie:

wah!.. S$50 for the 3 original asahi pentax tubes are a big steal!...

Status
Not open for further replies.