Unauthorise usage of photos at Deal.com.sg

jeffL

Nov 3, 2008
Tampines
500px.com
Lately i have realised that Deal.com.sg has been using my images without first consulting me on their website to promote their deals. The latest was for the Nongsa Resort taken right offf from my flickr account. Previous was for KTM resort.

They have never bother to write to me for permission to use my images at all. I have written to them and awaiting their reply on this matter.

Photographers here, do go through their Deal.com.sg website to check if they have also use your images without consent!

Lately i have realised that Deal.com.sg has been using my images without first consulting me on their website to promote their deals. The latest was for the Nongsa Resort taken right offf from my flickr account. Previous was for KTM resort.

They have never bother to write to me for permission to use my images at all. I have written to them and awaiting their reply on this matter.

Photographers here, do go through their Deal.com.sg website to check if they have also use your images without consent!

Don't just write to them. Send them a bill, and give them a 2-week deadline to settle.

they've made tons of money

i think as long as the pic is yours, you have enough evidence to prove your ownership, the law will be on your side.
get a lawyer, or just consult a lawyer friend if you have one.

Erm.. I don't know whether i have read wrongly but i think i came across some topic on this.

I thought i read somewhere that photos that are uploaded onto Flickr equates to free usage by anyone?

Dun hantam me ah.. Think only.. Not sure.. Got to read fine print.. LoL~

Erm.. I don't know whether i have read wrongly but i think i came across some topic on this.

I thought i read somewhere that photos that are uploaded onto Flickr equates to free usage by anyone?

Dun hantam me ah.. Think only.. Not sure.. Got to read fine print.. LoL~

No. I'm pretty sure that is incorrect! :)
Care to share where you read such terms and conditions? It would help to spread awareness.

or it could probably the Travel agent that supplies the photos to them..

perhaps you need to check on both.

No. I'm pretty sure that is incorrect! :)
Care to share where you read such terms and conditions? It would help to spread awareness.

Hmm... After looking around in Google, i realised it could have been misunderstood by me.. Well, a lonng time ago i believe...

But while looking around for it, it seems that i came across a nice article.. Well, can't post link.. So yea.. LOL!

Looks something like the Creative Common copyrights thingy.. Haha~!

Last edited:
I'm very sure I didn't set to Creative Commons but it is All rights reserved on my flickr account.

I believe Flickr gets the copyright once you upload to them. Better check the t&c

jeffL said:
I'm very sure I didn't set to Creative Commons but it is All rights reserved on my flickr account.

I suggest you do a screen capture before they change it.

acman said:
or it could probably the Travel agent that supplies the photos to them..

perhaps you need to check on both.

It doesn't matter who gave to who, it only matters who display it. In either case, royalty goes all the way back to owner.

I have taken screen captures on my iphone. Waiting for their reply. If they can use my pictures i'm sure they can also use anyones else without permission.

you need to make sure that you assigned the correct copyright to your images in flickr, there is a creative commons license that can be assigned to images by mistake

Just to double-check, can post up the Deal.com.sg website and your photo link???

This is because there have been instances on the web where people claim the website stole their photo but it wasn't theirs. No harm just making sure, since it hasn't been brought up yet, I thought.

Ok, those are without a doubt, your photos.

Just send an invoice to deal.com.sg, highlighting that these are your photos and you have not granted any rights to anyone to use the photograph. You are glad that they have chosen your photo for use in their advertisements and you would like to charge your usual rate of $X/photo based on what conditions (matching with their use). :)

Ok, those are without a doubt, your photos.

Just send an invoice to deal.com.sg, highlighting that these are your photos and you have not granted any rights to anyone to use the photograph. You are glad that they have chosen your photo for use in their advertisements and you would like to charge your usual rate of $X/photo based on what conditions (matching with their use). :)

Thanks. I'll see what they'll reply me first. Btw, you have very nice photos in your gallery.

Actually I don't wish to get tangle in all these copyright thingy, I'm just an amatuer with a vintage digital cam enjoying photo taking, just that it don't feel good to use images without consent.

Rashkae said:
I believe Flickr gets the copyright once you upload to them. Better check the t&c

This was what I was talking about... Came across an article way back... But can't find it out now.. I remembered reading somewhere on Flickr's T&C stating along the line of, "Images used on Flickr.... Can be used for other purposes..."

Something like that.. Then perhaps due to that controversial topic, Flickr started that Common Copyright thingy..

So yea... I think you have to set your pictures with the correct CC settings.. :/

Actually I don't wish to get tangle in all these copyright thingy, I'm just an amatuer with a vintage digital cam enjoying photo taking, just that it don't feel good to use images without consent.
That's what these companies (and many others) are betting on. They believe they have rights (be it by size or having a legal department) that they can use whatever pictures of 'normal people' they can find. They wouldn't dare using images of big companies. But here they try to make a fast one and get good images for nothing.
Make a screenshot on big monitor, the little iPhone screen would not reveal enough details. All the best, don't let them off for that.

On flickr you can check "allow Getty images to represent". If they do use your pics, you can get Getty images to go after them

I heard of a case where Getty charged an unauthorized user $1000 for a thumbnail sized image.

Last edited: