UMPC for on the go photoediting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
Has anybody used one of these UMPC (eg. Lenovo S10, EEE1000H etc etc) for some quick on the go photo editing?

I'm guessing it should be powerful enough (with upgraded RAM) to run most photo software like CS4/Lightroom/whatever have you. Screen would be a problem considering its only 10" but thats the price for portability I guess and still better than looking at the small camera LCD.

Another thing worth considering the UMPC is using it to control the camera. Don't have to lug a laptop around for it.

So anybody using it?

Has anybody used one of these UMPC (eg. Lenovo S10, EEE1000H etc etc) for some quick on the go photo editing?

I'm guessing it should be powerful enough (with upgraded RAM) to run most photo software like CS4/Lightroom/whatever have you. Screen would be a problem considering its only 10" but thats the price for portability I guess and still better than looking at the small camera LCD.

Another thing worth considering the UMPC is using it to control the camera. Don't have to lug a laptop around for it.

So anybody using it?

I have a small problem calibrating an Acer AOA150 with Spyder 3 because the software requires at least 1024x768. Some buttons fall below the bottom of the screen so have to use keyboard to select the options blindly. ;p

Curses! You just short that 168 pixels!

But how is the screen light? Good enough for photo work, considering the size and all?

Curses! You just short that 168 pixels!

But how is the screen light? Good enough for photo work, considering the size and all?

Yup. Sigh.. But still managed to get it calibrated somehow. I use GIMP which uses multiple windows instead of a big one like Photoshop, so I can get by. I won't do serious work on it though. Maybe some light touches etc..

If you are talking about the cheaper UPMCs, they do not have the processing power to run these image editing softwares.

I tried simple editing on my eee PC with 2GB ram and it is way too slow.

UMPC screens are ok, but because of the smaller resolutions, be prepared for a much smaller workspace especially on PS. Or maybe I am too used to working on wider screens desktop

Ryan

If you are talking about the cheaper UPMCs, they do not have the processing power to run these image editing softwares.

I tried simple editing on my eee PC with 2GB ram and it is way too slow.

UMPC screens are ok, but because of the smaller resolutions, be prepared for a much smaller workspace especially on PS. Or maybe I am too used to working on wider screens desktop

Ryan

GIMP runs fine though.. I'm quite surprised that the Intel Atom N270 is performing better than I expected.

for light touch ups is fine but depends on the lcd manufacturer. some have over bright screens and some have backlight bleeding issues. Unless its critical, these UMPCs are more for dumping the data from memory cards into the hdd imo.

I would say more for viewing and simple photo editing. Photoshop? Not too bad, but screen too small.

Yah, just simple viewing and photoediting. Definitely not full time work. What attracts me is that while its bigger then those portable HDD with a card reader, I can also use it for other functions, not just on the go photo storage.

Lets see what SITEX has to offer...must help economy...

Status
Not open for further replies.