Ultra-wides for digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

drake336

Jan 21, 2006
Hi folks,

Need any inputs you guys might have for the scantily few choices we have for ultra wide zooms for digital cameras... Well namely how well the KM DT 11-18mm stacks up to 3rd party lenses since there is almost no review on it.

So far, I got the following info:

Sigma 10-20mm: sharp across entire pic and across all apertures, light fall off problem

Tamron 11-18mm: corner softness, wide open softness

Tokina 12-24mm: no KM mount, those #@%#$%...

KM DT 11-18mm: ???????????

Some claimed that the KM should be almost like the Tamron, I wonder if that's true. I feel that corner softness is a bigger sin than light fall off (it's no good if I need to stop down to f8 every shot), so if KM is like Tamron, it's off to Sigma I go...

Anyone had a chance to compare Sigma vs KM ultra wide?

did u try out the sigma 12-24mm?

Will try out my 11-18 and see how it goes...

But for extreme wide angle, I don't see why we will shoot wide open.

Normally will shot f5.6 or smaller...

Will do some test and post later.

Hart

GENO said:
did u try out the sigma 12-24mm?

Heh, this one 4 figure price (although I can use for film body, but now seldom shoot film liao, and somehow I can't picture myself buying a Sony dSLR even if it's full frame 1 day - how can Sony design ever top the 7D)... :D

Other considerations:

Gelatin filters

Protruding element... (travel shoots, sure scratch one) :bsmilie:

Agetan said:
Will try out my 11-18 and see how it goes...

But for extreme wide angle, I don't see why we will shoot wide open.

Normally will shot f5.6 or smaller...

Will do some test and post later.

Hart

f8 is the way to go for landscape, but I find myself sometimes having handhold at low light situation (street shots at close quarters at night), that's when I hope AS + ISO 800 + f4 doesn't fail me, don't want to have a nagging feeling at the back of my head tell me to stop down at these situations :D

If price is not a factor, KM lens for KM DSLR (almost always).

Is anyone predicting a drop in price (or caught any rumour wind) for Full-Frame DSLRs? :think:

I'm holding back on buying ultra-wide digital lenses simply becos of this reason.
Sigh....

yyD70S said:
If price is not a factor, KM lens for KM DSLR (almost always).

Thought about that too until I saw the kit lens had a "Made in China" on the bottom. That got me thinking if all the new "DT" series were subcon'ed out to the cheapest sweatsho... er, manufacturer available, since KM seems to have encountered financial difficulties in the last few years...

In which case, it would not really be a surprise if the KM lens is really a rebadged Tamron (compare the specs, they are eeriely similar). Which means I will want the Sigma... which means having to wait for the next MO... :sweat:

P.S. actually price need not be a factor since the KM UW is actually similar in price to the Sigma / Tamron ones...

jsbn said:
Is anyone predicting a drop in price (or caught any rumour wind) for Full-Frame DSLRs? :think:

I'm holding back on buying ultra-wide digital lenses simply becos of this reason.
Sigh....

My only gripe is that any new FF dSLR coming out in the future may not be in the spirit of the original Dynax series... Gone will be all of our nice analog controls, exposure / mode dials, if they choose to make it in the cybershot fashion... :cry:

On a side note, I have a feeling Canon will be the 1st on the FF boat, since they are already making their CMOS larger then the CCDs counterpart many years back...

drake336 said:
My only gripe is that any new FF dSLR coming out in the future may not be in the spirit of the original Dynax series... Gone will be all of our nice analog controls, exposure / mode dials, if they choose to make it in the cybershot fashion... :cry:

On a side note, I have a feeling Canon will be the 1st on the FF boat, since they are already making their CMOS larger then the CCDs counterpart many years back...

I would not hold my breath for FF DSLR... if you need one now, get Canon... otherwise, buy what you "Need" and use it until better DSLR is produce.

If you can afford to wait, keep waiting..

I hate waiting... I will buy what I need now while waiting for better one.

Hart

Agetan said:
I would not hold my breath for FF DSLR... if you need one now, get Canon... otherwise, buy what you "Need" and use it until better DSLR is produce.

If you can afford to wait, keep waiting..

I hate waiting... I will buy what I need now while waiting for better one.

Hart

I'm with you there, a FF dSLR don't really mean a lot to me cos I don't think Sony will ever be able to top the 7D... then again, I hope they prove me wrong... ;)

so in the meantime... hmmm.. when's the next MO for the 10-20mm yo?

Status
Not open for further replies.