Ultra wide angle lens to recommend

lewissac

Sep 20, 2011
Hi,

I'm interested to get myself an UWA lens. I did search through some review and i'm down to two of them based on the cost and quality (compromised of course).

1) Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
2) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF)
3) Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

I'm also interested for this as well
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

I wonder has anyone here has used the above lens b4? mind to give some comments?

Thanks!

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ATX-PRO DX

is one of the best if not the best ultra wide angles i've used, excellent sharpness even at wide open and tough all metal build

TS which camera you are using?

I have the Sigma 17-70mm OS. It is a pretty nice lens, small and with very effective OS. However there are lens creep in my copy of the lens which can be pretty frustrating, this problem can easily be rectified though... using rubber band.

As for the UWA needs, I go with my Tokina 12-24mm... a lens that I loved very very much... and it is pretty cheap (I think I got it at around 7xx in TKfoto some time back, cannot remember already.)

Tokina 12-24mm f4 - a set on Flickr (some of my shots taken with the Tokina 12-24mm)

TS which camera you are using?

Oh! I'm using Nikon D5100. I thought of getting UWA cuz my preferred range is ard 20-35mm; which I supposed the lens should be ard 14-22mm?

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ATX-PRO DX

is one of the best if not the best ultra wide angles i've used, excellent sharpness even at wide open and tough all metal build

I love this too but no autofocus on my camera... :( So, seems need more time to adjust the focusing.

I love this too but no autofocus on my camera... :( So, seems need more time to adjust the focusing.

go get the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ATX-PRO DXII

it comes with it's own AF motor, TKfoto carries it :)

Oh really? I thought Tokina do not make lens with internal focusing motor?

lewissac said:
Oh! I'm using Nikon D5100. I thought of getting UWA cuz my preferred range is ard 20-35mm; which I supposed the lens should be ard 14-22mm?

Got any budget?
Autofocus important?

For that range, looking only at DX lenses your choice are tamron 10-24, tokina 12-24 and nikkor 10-24 and 12-24. Generally, I'm biased towards nikkor lenses.

Got any budget?
Autofocus important?

For that range, looking only at DX lenses your choice are tamron 10-24, tokina 12-24 and nikkor 10-24 and 12-24. Generally, I'm biased towards nikkor lenses.

I'm a budget camera user. So I prefer to have 3rd party lens. No doubt Nikkor Lenses are awesome but at a price.

If possible FX lenses also will do. In fact better since I intend to go FX too (in a long term).

Version 2 has a motor built in

Oh cool! Any idea how much is the price range? I check through the price guide but seems pretty outdated.

yeap i got for my d3200...works like charm..feels more solid than the version i too..imo

I'll opt for Tokina 11-16mm also. I still have my Mark 1 which I treasure it.

Sigma 10-20 does a decent job. Never missed f/2.8. Can be used on FF / film bodies from 16mm onwards.

950 last updated by TK foto

O.0 pricey... Anyway I might consider this if I hv extra budget. Right now I'm looking into 600-700 budget? or die die at most 800 (total wallet squeezing).

lewissac said:
I'm a budget camera user. So I prefer to have 3rd party lens. No doubt Nikkor Lenses are awesome but at a price.

If possible FX lenses also will do. In fact better since I intend to go FX too (in a long term).

If you are on a budget and don't mind 4mm less on the long end, you might consider sigma 10-20/4-5.6 2nd hand around $500.

If you want FX lens, then it won't be that budget anymore and you are losing fov on the wide end.

Last edited:
Tokina 12-24mm... around 7xx. Have AF motor built in, excellent image quality, same built as Tokina 11-16mm.