Ultra Slim UV Filter

navic

Nov 11, 2009
Hi,

I jz bought a new lens and realized that the standard UV filter will caused the vignetting. After did some searching, found that ultra slim filter can solve this issue.

Hence, can recommend any budget ultra slim UV filter?

Thanks.

What is your idea of "budget" and what kind of quality is acceptable to you?

Assuming you're using an ultrawide, which don't come cheap, don't cheap out on the filter.

Actually no-filter is the cheapest, and will give you the best quality and no vignetting. No protection of course, so using a hood is probably a good idea.

What is your idea of "budget" and what kind of quality is acceptable to you?

actually i totally got no idea on the pricing of tis kind of filter.. with the budget of $50~100 can get a decent 1?

Assuming you're using an ultrawide, which don't come cheap, don't cheap out on the filter.

Actually no-filter is the cheapest, and will give you the best quality and no vignetting. No protection of course, so using a hood is probably a good idea.

16mm consider UW?

hv consider "filter-less" b4, but... is new lens mah, must be "kia si" a bit :bsmilie:

using hood only can provide proper poctection?

hv consider "filter-less" b4, but... is new lens mah, must be "kia si" a bit :bsmilie:
Much better protection that these wanna-be protector filters. Your lens can stand a lot and a finger print or even a dead fly will not cause any trouble.
More to read: Lens Hood

actually i totally got no idea on the pricing of tis kind of filter.. with the budget of $50~100 can get a decent 1?

16mm consider UW?

Octarine once passed me this link on how much dmg a lens can take: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/842148-How-much-damage-can-a-lens-front-element-take Hopefully you can be alittle bit not so "kia si". And like many others said: worry less, shoot more :)

yes UV filter on digital lens is merely for protection only, cheap SLIM MC filter would be emolux, starblitz, phottix & nissi ranging from S$15-35(depend on filter size), better one would be kenko & hoya one ranging S$90-150(depend on filter size), B+W would be S$140++

in the end it's a matter of preferences whether to go "naked" or with "armor", i prefer the later on cos i hve experienced moments when having these "armor" save the life(ok maybe life is to exagerating but at least it's resale value lol :p) of my lens lol :bsmilie:

Last edited:
normally 16-17mm on a normal APS body shouldnt have vignetting with normal filter on.

Currently using Tokina 11-16 filterless. If I were to get a filter for it. I would go for ultraslim one.

Have you tried whether vignetting occurs on your 16mm with normal filter?

Thanks guys for ur replied & sources of the info, learnt new things..

normally 16-17mm on a normal APS body shouldnt have vignetting with normal filter on.

Currently using Tokina 11-16 filterless. If I were to get a filter for it. I would go for ultraslim one.

Have you tried whether vignetting occurs on your 16mm with normal filter?

I hv tried using the normal filter n shoot in 16mm, the vignetting was occured obviously..

Thanks guys for ur replied & sources of the info, learnt new things..

I hv tried using the normal filter n shoot in 16mm, the vignetting was occured obviously..

Which camera and lens are you using?

a550 + 16-105

From many online discussions, the 16-105 is known to vignette with regular thickness filters. You will need a slim filter. I recommend the Kenko pro-1D protector filter.

From many online discussions, the 16-105 is known to vignette with regular thickness filters. You will need a slim filter. I recommend the Kenko pro-1D protector filter.

Thanks bro..