ULTRA noob question from Mac newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mich_2103

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Dear Fellow CSnappers,
I am about to ask a really noob question and I won't be surprised if I am going to be stoned to death on the forum, so anyway, here goes... :embrass:

I have installed a very old version of Photoshop on my Macbook. But recently, I have access to a new version of it so I need to uninstall the old one then install the new version.

Here is the question - I don't know how to uninstall old programs in Mac. :embrass:

It's not just for Photoshop but also for Microsoft Office as well so I will appreciate if kind Mac users out there can help me please! :D

I guess I'm too used to PC - going to Control Panel and uninstall everything.

{Mich} :)

Use (or download) AppZapper, its a cleaner way to remove applications... or like paul says, drag the application icon into the trash.

go to the Applications and drag the app into the dustbin

Yah... I was too used to PC... it took me a while to get used to the simplicity of the Mac...:bsmilie:

BC

Yah... I was too used to PC... it took me a while to get used to the simplicity of the Mac...:bsmilie:

BC

do u know that u can eject the CDROM disc by dragging the CDROM icon into the dustbin too? :thumbsup:

do u know that u can eject the CDROM disc by dragging the CDROM icon into the dustbin too? :thumbsup:

I dont know that..maybe I should try. But it is really simplify. Until I read from website, just trash them in the bins to uninstall software. ;)

Harlow People,
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I guess I am going to take a much longer time to understand my Macbook and its operations... :embrass:

Okay, I have another noob question - I have transfered all my favorites/bookmarks from my old Acer to my Macbook. But when I tried to open them using Safari and Firefox, my bookmarks didn't work!!! I have also tried using the Help option from both Safari and Firefox but both browers didn't have the kind of advice I was looking for. :dunno:

Oh, my browser in my Acer was IE7.

Will really appreciate any folks out there who can offer their advice! Thanks! ;)

Harlow People,
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I guess I am going to take a much longer time to understand my Macbook and its operations... :embrass:

Okay, I have another noob question - I have transfered all my favorites/bookmarks from my old Acer to my Macbook. But when I tried to open them using Safari and Firefox, my bookmarks didn't work!!! I have also tried using the Help option from both Safari and Firefox but both browers didn't have the kind of advice I was looking for. :dunno:

Oh, my browser in my Acer was IE7.

Will really appreciate any folks out there who can offer their advice! Thanks! ;)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks

what is the -rf flag?

Hmmm. My *nix knowledge is a little rusty from old FreeBSD4 days :p been at least 6-7 years since I touched such systems. But if I don't remember wrongly:

the -rf flag removes all contents including any sub-directories within the specified directory. and in the case of just "rm -rf" since there is no specified directory, and if you have root access, it basically proceeds to to trash everything in your hard drive.

Basically.... don't be a dummy and type rm -rf on its own without specifying a directory, ever! I have never yet encountered a time when I needed such a command line. (other than deleteing errant users' accounts. heh)

Status
Not open for further replies.