Ultra-compact tripods - any good?

yeeth

May 9, 2010
Hey guys,
i'm new to photography and i've been thinking of getting a tripod for night shoots - i can't keep a camera perfectly still for 2s. As much as it's necessary, though, i don't really like the idea of carrying a tripod around.
Thus, i recently saw a super-compact tripod that folds to less than 20cm and can be extended to about 150cm. Does anyone have experience with this sort of tripod? I've tested it and it has no problems holding up the weight of my 450D and kit lens, but is it decently stable for long exposures? I'm not expecting it to be as stable as Manfrottos or Benros, but seeing as i prefer not to carry a big tripod out, is it worth the money?
Thanks!

Please take note, different tripods got different weght limitations.
Small tripods like u mention are sometimes only good for compact camera...

yup i brought my camera down to test, could handle the weight without toppling or tilting. Only thing i couldn't test was how stable it was.
Actually come to think of it, i should have taken a pic with the camera on the tripod and set a long shutter speed. oops D:

Hey guys,
i'm new to photography and i've been thinking of getting a tripod for night shoots - i can't keep a camera perfectly still for 2s. As much as it's necessary, though, i don't really like the idea of carrying a tripod around.
Thus, i recently saw a super-compact tripod that folds to less than 20cm and can be extended to about 150cm. Does anyone have experience with this sort of tripod? I've tested it and it has no problems holding up the weight of my 450D and kit lens, but is it decently stable for long exposures? I'm not expecting it to be as stable as Manfrottos or Benros, but seeing as i prefer not to carry a big tripod out, is it worth the money?
Thanks!

Benro had aluminium series which is very light too that u can get within $200.

go search in the mass sales section.

I'm skeptical...

Don't think it'll be any good.

fun to have, but u will take the risk of damaging ur cam if it give way ...

i've tired mount my 500D w grip on my gf those 10dollar mini tripod, to take some photo at as close as ground level ... (cause i dun wan to put my cam on the road)

can tahan but i have to hv 101% concentration to make sure it doesnt fall ..

Wunt recommend tt, donwside risk way exceed the upside savings.. think abt it ;)

Do you dare to mount thousands over dollars worth of equipments on something thats costs like $50?

Not worth the risk i'll say

Better safe than sorry. I dont trust those cheapo kind of tripod. I saw a $58 tripod at the mass sales so better invest in a better quality than break your stuff. my $0.01!!!

Hey guys,
Thanks!

You would very likely find it both a source of unending frustrations and a waste of time, effort and money, besides being a risk to your equipment.

To date, I have not met a compact, lightweight tripod under $200-$300 that is really steady. One exception may be an exotic Swiss design, but it's cost may turn most people off. I'm not saying none exist, just that I've not come across any being sold, or used here.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

The physics of a support system will not change ...

As Dennis pointed out:

Bottom line is, as with everything else, use the correct tools for the job.

Saw this quote posted by catchlights, but he told the originator should be ortega

Most people want 3 things when looking for tripod.

Cheap, light and sturdy,

But most of the time people will settle for twos..

Light and sturdy tripod won't be cheap (think sturdy and steady CF tripods, usually very expensive and not necessarily very compact)

Cheap and sturdy tripod won't be light (tested and proven aluminum designs, cheap by CF standards and again, usually not very compact)

Cheap and light tripod won't be sturdy (too many multi-section tripods and compact shopping center tripods)

If you decides to risk thousand dollars camera setup kissing the ground should you decides to use the 3rd combination, well, all I can say is, it is you call.

No one can force you to see the value in a good tripod, or force you to carry one out. It's your craft, your photos and your equipment safety decisions, and you need to be comfortable with it. :)

Yeah . U should see the tripod as an extension of the camera . Sometimes , holding it up doesnt mean its fine. What if wind blows ? Or some idiots kicked one tripod leg when you are shooting ?

Ultra compact and sturdy tripods are usually very very expensive , maybe 2x or 3x more than an average good tripod costing 100-200.

U just need to find the correct Price-value proposition amongst the tripods to suit your needs

haha thanks guys for the opinions =D
only reason why i liked that tripod (probably cost arnd $70) was that it could fit in my camera bag when folded at 20+cm. But you guys have a point. Guess i'll wait and see if i really need one then =)

haha thanks guys for the opinions =D
only reason why i liked that tripod (probably cost arnd $70) was that it could fit in my camera bag when folded at 20+cm. But you guys have a point. Guess i'll wait and see if i really need one then =)

get a gorillapod then.

Hey guys,
Thanks!

2s ..... get a GOOD tripod. Compact? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ............

Hey guys,
Thanks!

if you are just a casual photographer....not really serious into landscape...etc...photography... and don't mind your equipment meeting the ground at a speed and in such a way that all you can do is just to yell "ahhhh!!!....." just buy that "super-compact tripod"

else just heed all advices above...

ultra compact is nice to have but how stable will it be if need to do long exposure or if you need precision?

I agree with the rest. Not worth the savings if u constantly worry abt it.
I tested alot recently, and i got the SLIK Sprint Pro II with 3 way head at $152, from CP.
Stable, Lightweight,and very compact.
Weight: 940g
Collapsed height 480mm
Max Height: 1650mm
Min Height: 175mm
Max Load(untested by me) : 2050g

Hope u find this useful!!