Ultimate Noob...

wasak2000

Nov 30, 2010
Choa Chu Kang, Singapore, Sing
Saw this thread from another forum...

"Nikon D3100 newbie needs help using the kit lens"

I successfully installed the Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens on my new D3100.

I set the lens to 'Auto', with VR set to 'on'.

I understand this lens has a built-in motor, and I cannot figure out which button zooms this lens in and out.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=3027&mesg_id=3027&page=

"The trial shots I've taken indoors look good, though not that much better than a good point and shoot."

Owning a DSLR does not help you to have better pictures.

seems like he used to be a PNS shooter :)

All of us have to start somewhere.

Read the threads, this guy seems so lost and when people advised how to zoom the lens, he still blame others for his own issues (lack of research) before jumping from PnS to DSLR. :nono:

>I find it amazing the popular DSLR press does not warn about this difference for newcomers like myself who spend so much money on more 'professional' gear.

To the credit of the other members, they seemed to be rather patient in their replies.

Very easy. :)

To zoom out, just point the camera down.

To zoom in, point the camera up.

Very easy. :)

To zoom out, just point the camera down.

To zoom in, point the camera up.

you mean...raise the camera above your head, grip it tightly and then swing it down forcefully to zoom in? HAHA..

to zoom out, please place your palm in front of the lens and press it inwards hard.

i bet with all the other members talking about AF without explicitly mentioning it stands for Auto-Focus, he will get more confused..

I've passed my DSLR to several of my friends who never owned DSLRs before, and some of them have come up with many creative ways to zoom the lens. One of them being to turn the dial used to adjust aperture or shutter speed depending on mode. Another being to turn the focus ring.

Last edited:
lucky he posted on nikon forum else someone will suggest change of brand LOL

Its not a problem being a newbie or what..... But I remember when i started playing SLRs about 15 years ago and still did not own one (dSLR) till 8 years ago, in which during SLR days once you touched the thingy you'd know how to zoom, and turning the other ring brings the focus. Its like playing with a binoculars, telescope, plugging in a pair of AV speakers. My 59 year old mother knows how to operate stuff like the LCD/Plasma, DVD player, and plays FB/forums. A 5 year old can know how to operate/zoom/focus a pair of binos, no different from a SLR, or dSLR, or a toy microscope.

There are some rich/successful people even Top Management managing a big company, who don't know how to troubleshoot an iPhone/Blackberry phone by doing a battery pull. Its been like that 6 years ago with Nokia etc.... Coz they got helpdesk/tech support (that's why they exist also, tan jiak one).

Etc etc....

I am not talking about facebook, or blogs or what....

Well, a forum is meant to help and educate fellow users, however fundamental their questions may seem... And not to poke fun at ppl's ignorance because they are new to thus hobby, I guess the ppl who replied to the TS really displayed the spirit..kudos to them!

Berkins said:
Well, a forum is meant to help and educate fellow users, however fundamental their questions may seem... And not to poke fun at ppl's ignorance because they are new to thus hobby, I guess the ppl who replied to the TS really displayed the spirit..kudos to them!

I am referring to the folks on nikonian forum :)

yes, i agree that we all should help newbies, but newbies should at least help themselves by reading the manuals.. this is a case where a person blindly follow the trend without actually know what he is doing.. I don't think he is new to the hobby, cus he mentioned that he has been using PnS.. If he is a hobbyist and had been using PnS before but wanted more and knows what he's doing, i am sure he would have read some articles about DSLR or even ask the sales person the basic functions..

but i must say i am impressed by the forum members as well, by showing the ultimate patience..

I actually laughed at this part "I successfully installed the Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens on my new D3100."

I actually laughed at this part "I successfully installed the Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens on my new D3100."

This guy is a technician... likes to install things :bsmilie: