UK - bank and equipment storage issue

miaoteh

May 5, 2009
i will be in Slough, UK for work for about 9-10 months (Aug 2010 to May 2011), appreciate if any experienced bro/sis out there can help on some of the issues: :)

1. i will be opening an local UK bank account there (most likely Barclays or Citibank), from some of the online resources i found, with UK Atm card, we can withdraw from almost all of the ATMs in UK without any extra fees, including ATMs of other banks, is it the case? i can't find any information on the bank's website.

2. because of the relatively high humidity in UK, i supposed i will need a dry cabinet/dry box for the 9/10 months period? any idea any reliable local shops/online shops/2nd hand shops in that area?

TIA for all the helps! :)

1. to open an bank a/c you would need a letter from your company and an mailling address in UK. I dont recall u can withdraw $ from diff bank. e.g if ur ATM card is from barclay then u can only withdraw from that bank. UK have many banks to name a few... HSBC, Citibank, RBS, Halifax, Barclay, Lloyds..

2. UK humidity is not as high as asia country like SG, Malaysia. U might be surprise the ppl there dont even know what is a drybox.

2. because of the relatively high humidity in UK, i supposed i will need a dry cabinet/dry box for the 9/10 months period? any idea any reliable local shops/online shops/2nd hand shops in that area?
Please verify this statement. It's not true.

1. to open an bank a/c you would need a letter from your company and an mailling address in UK. I dont recall u can withdraw $ from diff bank. e.g if ur ATM card is from barclay then u can only withdraw from that bank. UK have many banks to name a few... HSBC, Citibank, RBS, Halifax, Barclay, Lloyds..

2. UK humidity is not as high as asia country like SG, Malaysia. U might be surprise the ppl there dont even know what is a drybox.

1.most of the place accept debit/credit card so u don hv to bring a lot of cash with u..some place like tesco lets u withdraw cash when u make a purchase..its called cashback!

2.uk humidity is quite dry,so drybox is not needed! u will surprise that if u left a small bowls of cereal in the open air,even the next day it will still crispy...

for online shopping u can try:-

www.cameraworld.co.uk
www.warehouseexpress.co.uk
www.parkcameras.co.uk
www.picstop.co.uk (memorycard n accessories)

for price guide u can goto www.pricerunner.co.uk

have a nice holiday:)