Ugh why don't they fix the 999OLYMP problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denizenx

Feb 1, 2002
L2TPYSG
Visit site
I just kena this on my trip, had 60 shots on a 8GB card, and only found that I couldn't delete to make space!
Came back to see the old thread about 999OLYMP and 9999 filename limit. That's really silly!

I don't get what you mean,I ever got this problem once,happened on my E-510,reset naming than ok already,till now no problem

I don't know how you could have this problem unless you shot 8,989,101 pictures...makes you wonder though why Olympus start their directory numbers at 100 and not 001. The only way I've seen this if you share cards between cameras; when I bought my "open box" E-330 the directory number said it had taken over 80,000 shots which is of course impossible...the store of course shares cards between cameras when they let customers try the camera which messes up the image count; lucky the shutter counter/odometer however does read the correct number of actuations.

It's down to the folder naming, which in my opinion was an oversight by Olympus.

Reformatting the card helps, or just simply renaming the folder works just as well.

It's down to the folder naming, which in my opinion was an oversight by Olympus.

Reformatting the card helps, or just simply renaming the folder works just as well.

Just sharing my fair experience of this problem on my E510 recently. Reformatting the card did not help... I've tried various means of formatting, in-body and on pc (FAT file format) via card reader, both didn't resolve this file naming issue for me. I did not try renaming the folders though, so I can't verify that. Only went away after resetting the file name in-body...

Just sharing my fair experience of this problem on my E510 recently. Reformatting the card did not help... I've tried various means of formatting, in-body and on pc (FAT file format) via card reader, both didn't resolve this file naming issue for me. I did not try renaming the folders though, so I can't verify that. Only went away after resetting the file name in-body...

That is the only solution presently i guess,i encounter once before

I also had this problem the last 2 weeks when shooting the opening for Singapore Arts Festival. What I did was I copied my current files from CF to xD card, set the file name to "RESET" and formatted the CF card. This solved the problem but it is too troublesome, luckily I do not have too many shots taken yet else it will be a pain to backup them all to the xD card.

I got this issue because I previously used my CF card on a demo set which the folder has already reached the "999OLYMP" but did not bothered to reset it.

Hope there will be a firmware fix for this.

The file naming system has been working as designed and explained in the user manual. You just need to know how it works and overcome this little limitation.

There are 2 options to choose from, AUTO (default) and RESET.
AUTO - the camera will remember the last used highest number and increase by 1 for the next filename until it reach 999,9999. If the card inserted has higher number than the camera, the card's highest number will be used and remembered by the camera.
RESET - the camber will NOT remember the last used highest number, it will start from 100,0001 for a blank card. If the card has files in it, it will used the last highest number from the card and increase by 1 for the next filename until it reached 999,9999.

whichever option you choose, the problem will still occurred if you use the card from another camber that runs the number 999,99xx, though the RESET option will limited the occurrence to that particular card.

Last edited:
The file naming system has been working as designed and explained in the user manual. You just need to know how it works and overcome this little limitation.

There are 2 options to choose from, AUTO (default) and RESET.
AUTO - the camera will remember the last used highest number and increase by 1 for the next filename until it reach 999,9999. If the card inserted has higher number than the camera, the card's highest number will be used and remembered by the camera.
RESET - the camber will NOT remember the last used highest number, it will start from 100,0001 for a blank card. If the card has files in it, it will used the last highest number from the card and increase by 1 for the next filename until it reached 999,9999.

whichever option you choose, the problem will still occurred if you use the card from another camber that runs the number 999,99xx, though the RESET option will limited the occurrence to that particular card.

The problem that I personally got was the folder defaulting to 999OLYMP, making this particular manual entry academic at best.

Whatever the manual states, this, in my opinion, is poor design - I never had this issue on my E-1/300/410 at all.

Well, I'm still at folder 100 on all my Olympus cameras as I haven't shot 10,000 images on any of them yet...still don't see how it could ever be a problem unless you shot 9999 images x 898 folders.

The problem that I personally got was the folder defaulting to 999OLYMP, making this particular manual entry academic at best.

Whatever the manual states, this, in my opinion, is poor design - I never had this issue on my E-1/300/410 at all.

I have that after the Olympus E3 Zoo outing, and I believe all users used their card on those 999 cam back to their cam without formating are getting it, if you happen to be one of them.

Well, I'm still at folder 100 on all my Olympus cameras as I haven't shot 10,000 images on any of them yet...still don't see how it could ever be a problem unless you shot 9999 images x 898 folders.

Yeap Mike, it's only my E-3, my other cams are just dandy.

I have that after the Olympus E3 Zoo outing, and I believe all users used their card on those 999 cam back to their cam without formating are getting it, if you happen to be one of them.

Hmmm I think you may be on to something sp. Think I'll do the reformatting and if that doesn't work, I'll probably factory reset the E-3.

for your reference...

FileNumNotesE300-4.jpg

FileNumNoteD3x-4.jpg

FileNumNote5dmkii-4.jpg

Ha just as I thougt, everybody have the same problem

Ok, problem solved.

Last edited:
sorry, how is it fixed? What's the fix? The reset filename didn't work until I formatted the card.

Replacing a card, reformatting or adding a new one when you're outside and shooting, and already have pictures, is not a fix. Having to buy something extra to fix it is NOT a fix, especially since this is a software issue. It's silly because 999OLYMP and xxxx9999.JPG can be fixed by just changing xxxx9999 to yyyy0001.

btw I didn't take many pictures to reach this, it just jumped after I renamed some folders.

Sounds like a Windows filing system thing... nothing to do with the camera operating system. Embedded OS into the camera might be the cause of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.