Ubuntu, anyone?? Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allegro

Jul 2, 2005
Just wondering anyone here using Ubuntu?? If so, does anyone know how to list the directories using Terminal command?

(sorry lah, real newbie here :embrass: )

allegro

Allegro said:
Just wondering anyone here using Ubuntu?? If so, does anyone know how to list the directories using Terminal command?

allegro

Yup .. i'm running the Kubuntu OS on my office PC ... list directories?!? ... ls loh .... any commands not sure .. go google or - man ls ... ;)

Allegro said:

allegro

You mean Ububtu, a Linux Distro right? The command to list the directory in a terminal (a command prompt in Windows term) is

ls
ls -l

Hope this answer your question.

ls -l is to list files in the current directory, rite? wat I was looking for is something like a file explorer in window, by which I can tell which are the directories in which drive. Basically I need to know other than the current directory or drive, what are the other available ones. (sorry, not sure if there is such a thing in ubuntu in the first place :dunno: )

Allegro said:
ls -l is to list files in the current directory, rite? wat I was looking for is something like a file explorer in window, by which I can tell which are the directories in which drive. Basically I need to know other than the current directory or drive, what are the other available ones. (sorry, not sure if there is such a thing in ubuntu in the first place :dunno: )
Was using Ubuntu previously. Dont think got what you're looking for :dunno:

Allegro said:

IIRC, in unix a directory is also a file. If you use ls -l you will list file in the current directory.
you can use ls -l / to list all the file in the root directory of the Linux file. Also when you use
ls -l a directory you will see something like this

drwxr-xr-x 28 user group 4096 Sep 26 15:40 www

The d in the 1st column tell you that this entry is a directory. If you want some textbase gui tool, you can install midnight commander yourself from http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/.

Hope this help.

try type "mc" w/o quote at the shell.
if you have it installed, shd be for ubuntu.

Thanks for all the tips. Found (by chance, ha!) a "File Browser" under the System Tools. Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.